Snowed in, time for coins!

Old December 27th 04, 03:50 PM
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)

Default Snowed in, time for coins!

Greetings!

Well, the weather outside is untoned white with a strong cameo
contrast..the surfaces are like glass and the devices are FULLY
frosted!

We were warned and I prepared and brought a few of my coins home.
Security isn't much of an issue, YOU try to get past two playful
huskys on an icy hill in a snowstorm!

Although half cents remain my favorite, I haven't managed to buy a
single one this year. Prices are STRONG for the material I like. But
I've managed to pick up a few nice Liberty 5c this year (including an
1885 and a 1912-S) so I brought that box home.

I've got some 1883 NC's & WC's I need to check for varieties. Those
two issues seem to ben the source of almost 90% of the varieties of
Liberty 5c. Even proofs of those issues seem come with repunched dates
and such. I've reached the point where I can't memorize all the
varieties and so when I buy something interesting I have to take it
home and see if I already have it. Fortunately, Liberty 5c are still
cheap and available, especially the 1883 n/c.

Liberty 5c patterns I find more interesting than other patterns
because they show the development of the coin and the thoughts
involved very clearly. They start in 1881 with the design already very
close to what actually was used:

http://www.uspatterns.com/1881.html

I've always wanted to build an exhibit "The genesis of the liberty 5c"
and perhaps I'll putter with that as well. I don't really have the
coins to do that right yet, but I'm starting to get close.

The snowstorm is going to hit a number of you, how will you spend the
time numismatically?

Old December 28th 04, 02:38 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:50:39 GMT, "Bruce H (BoxTurtle)"
wrote:

[...]

Check out your 1887. There is a really nice doubled reverse die for
that date. The PUP (pickup point) is "E PLURIBUS UNUM."
Good luck.
Aram.

Old December 28th 04, 12:29 PM
JSTONE9352

I'm not snowed in but yesterday
in the mail I got two coin auction
catalogs (that Heritage one for
FUN is huge) plus two publications
from numismatic organizations I
belong to.

Later this week I should get NN, BNR and The Numismatist from
the ANA.

So much to read but when can I
find the time (anyone else have
that problem?)
Old December 28th 04, 12:55 PM
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:38:00 -0800, Aram H. Haroutunian
is alleged to have written:

Check out your 1887. There is a really nice doubled reverse die for
that date. The PUP (pickup point) is "E PLURIBUS UNUM."
Good luck.
Aram.

I don't have one of those yet, though I've seen photos and I know they
exist. I had a nice Machine doubled version of this that I was SURE
was the real double die. That was the coin that taught me what MDD
looked like and how to tell it from the real thing. A very useful
lesson, but not particularly welcome at the time. :-)

*Bruce Hickmott *
*ANA R162074 *
*EAC 3606 *
* *
*To email me, remember that RoadRunner and Coyote do not mix.*