A Hankering For Hankow -OR- I Ching In IChang - Local Stamps

Old June 2nd 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default A Hankering For Hankow -OR- I Ching In IChang - Local Stamps

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:02:07 -0700 (PDT), "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

On Jun 1, 10:35 pm, "rodney" wrote:

The trick with Shanghai is to decipher the arms.
The motto is "all together as one"
Now try and decipher the shields/countries.

The Shanghai Municipal Seal at present in use was designed by
Mr. Oliver, the then Municipal Engineer, was approved by the
Council in December, 1868 and brought into use in April, 1869.

The flags represented are as follows:

- Top left hand shield: Great Britain, America, France, Germany.
- Top right hand shield: Russia, Denmark, Italy, Portugal.
- Lower Shield: Norway and Sweden, Austria, Spain, Holland.

Countries having treaties with China but whose flags are not
represented on the shield a Belgium, Japan, Cuba, Brazil.

There was a considerable amount of objection to the design
of the seal, and in 1870 Mr. Oliver prepared another in the
form of a Shield with four quarters showing a railway train
opposite a pagoda, a steamer opposite to a junk, and the
word "Priress" underneath.

This reminds me of a set of stamps, which I can't find or totally
think of just yet. Somewhere in the '30s / '40s there were China
proper stamps similar to what you mentioned above.

This together with a heterogeneous assortment of other
designs was exhibited, but at the Ratepayers Meeting
which followed it was agreed that none of the new designs
proved entirely satisfactory, and, on the motion of
Mr. T. W. Kingsmill, it was decided that "the present seal
shall remain as the common seal of the Council until the
production of a more satisfactory design."

In 1895 Mr. Mayne pointed out that the council of the
seal is faulty, but the Council decided that as it had
been in use so long no change was desirable.

From the North China Herald, July 8, 1916

Old June 3rd 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Adroit, Blair
thank you very much, saved me researching,
a keeper.

Shanghai has similarities with the "wild west"
I have been reading some cracking yarns about the
Shanghai police force, in the early 20's.

"Blair (TC)"

Old June 5th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

There's Chinkiang

FYI
These were lithographed in sheets of 50 by the
Tokio Tsukiiji perf 11.5 1894

The postage dues similar 1895

Old June 5th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 14:45:58 +0800, "rodney"
wrote:

There's Chinkiang

FYI
These were lithographed in sheets of 50 by the
Tokio Tsukiiji perf 11.5 1894

The postage dues similar 1895

Hmmm... Chinese stamps by Japanese printers. They must've had
designs on the mainland before they crossed the pond in '37.
Old June 6th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Jun 6, 7:55 am, wrote:

Hmmm... Chinese stamps by Japanese printers. They must've had
designs on the mainland before they crossed the pond in '37.

They did: they first (in modern times) crossed in 1895

Tony of the Antipodes