Old $20 bills

Old June 14th 04, 06:26 PM
KellyClarksonTV

Default Old $20 bills

a friend of mine works at a bank and found 4 old design $20 bills (1977, 1985,
1988, and 1990) in reletively new condition, are they worth anything?
Old June 14th 04, 06:41 PM
Bob Flaminio

Barry wrote:
a friend of mine works at a bank and found 4 old design $20 bills
(1977, 1985, 1988, and 1990) in reletively new condition, are they
worth anything?

$20

Each.

--
Bob

Old June 14th 04, 07:25 PM
Steve Ruud

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:41:46 -0700, "Bob Flaminio"
wrote:

Barry wrote:
a friend of mine works at a bank and found 4 old design $20 bills
(1977, 1985, 1988, and 1990) in reletively new condition, are they
worth anything?

$20

Each.

Plus shipping and handling g
Steve
Buy the book before the coin
don't forget to *READ* the book after you've bought it!
It doesn't do anything just sitting on the shelf

(remove ATTITUDE to replay via e-mail)
Old June 14th 04, 07:27 PM
Edward McGrath

The $20 bills are worth a little more than $20 if they are star notes.
Ed

Old June 15th 04, 12:05 AM
BobbyShaw

a friend of mine works at a bank and found 4 old design $20 bills (1977,
1985,
1988, and 1990) in reletively new condition, are they worth anything?

Back in the late 80's, I found a 1950B series $20 bill at work, in very nice
(XF to AU condition). I swapped it out and kept it. I called a coinshop at
the time and asked how much it was worth. He suggested spending it....

I didn't, and still have that note today. Still worth VERY little, if any,
over face.

So, if you are a collector, and can afford to eat up $80 for your collection...
Then keep them, but they'll probably never make you rich in your lifetime...
but, they're neat to have!

Robert Shaw
--
Does olive oil really help with corroded coins? Check out my experiment at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~robe294/o...xperiment.html
Old June 15th 04, 12:07 AM
Coin Saver

From: kellyclarksontv

a friend of mine works at a bank and found 4 old design $20 bills (1977, 1985,

1988, and 1990) in reletively new condition, are they worth anything?

To a collector, slightly over face value. That being said, bear in mind that
the amount over face goes up / down appropriately in relation to these three
factors:
1) How much over / under "relitively new condition" they actually are; 2) How
badly the collector wants them; and 3) How much spending money the collector is
willing to let loose of.

I would suggest, barring that your friend's in dire need of financial funds at
the moment, have him/her go to a local Coin Club meeting and / or coin show
with them.

If finances are trully an issue, feed the family first.

8-|
- Coin Saver

Old June 15th 04, 12:25 AM
Bob Flaminio

BobbyShaw wrote:
Back in the late 80's, I found a 1950B series $20 bill at work, in
very nice (XF to AU condition). I swapped it out and kept it. I
called a coinshop at the time and asked how much it was worth. He
suggested spending it....

I didn't, and still have that note today. Still worth VERY little,
if any, over face.

If you had taken that $20 and invested it, it would be worth $93 today
(at the average return of the stock market).

Meanwhile, $20 back then has dwindled to $13 today in purchasing power
due to inflation.

But it's still kind of cool, I guess...

--
Bob

Old June 15th 04, 04:29 AM
yawnmoth

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:25:44 -0700, "Bob Flaminio"
wrote:

BobbyShaw wrote:
Back in the late 80's, I found a 1950B series $20 bill at work, in
very nice (XF to AU condition). I swapped it out and kept it. I
called a coinshop at the time and asked how much it was worth. He
suggested spending it....

I didn't, and still have that note today. Still worth VERY little,
if any, over face.

If you had taken that $20 and invested it, it would be worth $93 today
(at the average return of the stock market).

Meanwhile, $20 back then has dwindled to $13 today in purchasing power
due to inflation.

Isn't that usually the way of things in the world of collecting?
Old June 15th 04, 04:42 AM
Abugaj01

I've saved quite a number of notes with unusual serial numbers. I have a bill
that ends with six 9's, and lots of bills that have 5 of the same number.