SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5 ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

Old July 8th 09, 06:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

On Jul 7, 11:27*pm, Scratchmo wrote:
On Jul 7, 11:06*pm, oly wrote:

On Jul 7, 10:53*pm, Scratchmo wrote:

On Jul 7, 9:37*pm, oly wrote:

On Jul 7, 9:01*pm, Scratchmo wrote:

On Jul 7, 8:52*pm, oly wrote:

On Jul 7, 8:41*pm, Scratchmo wrote:

On Jul 7, 8:34*pm, "Bob F." wrote:

"Scratchmo" wrote in message

. The most deceiving alterations are produced from authentic U.S.
coins, but I don't hear you get down on the Mint for making coins that
look too

much like U.S. coins.

That is probably the dumbest, most inane thing I've read in this NG
since Prancing Francine Prilosec's last post.
The bottom line is that you destroyed priceless artifacts to make some
crappy imitation slugs so you could put a few bucks in your pocket.
Don't even dare to think of yourself as a numismatist, you're just a
huckster (not at all unlike Francine!)

I didn't destroy anything. I engraved a set of dies for my client.- Hide quoted text -

Evasion!!! *Albert Speer only produced "architectural plans" for his
client. *Of course, Herr Speer was "only trying to make a living".

oly

Jesus Christ. NOW I'm a jew killing nazi just because I took on a job
that RESEMBLES a California Gold Rush coin (on ONE side)? Let's get
back to reality. *I refer back to my original question... If it
bothers you so much that these bars were used to create these
pieces.... why didn't you buy them so you could preserve them in the
way you see fit?- Hide quoted text -

Read about it in wikipedia. *Albert Speer didn't consider himself a
Nazi. *He just needed work. *Times were tough in 1930s Germany for
artistic creative persons like himself. *Speer was just doing a job
for a client. *It looks like your situational ethics mirror his. *"I
didn't run the V-2 flying bomb factories, or fire them off towards
London; I just drew up the plans." *Yes, your GMM replicas are minor
**** in comparison, but the amoral attitude is very similar.

As for my financial ability to buy and preserve the Central America
bars, of course I don't have that ability. *If I did, I would own
several.

But your insistence that this financial ability is somehow important
brings this topic kind of comes back around to how this thread
started.

If my memory serves, Ron Landis first came to the attention of the
numismatic community when he was living in Spain about 1983 and
proposed establishing a medieval style mint facility there. *Several
years later, he re-emerged on the numismatic scene, now located in
Arkansas and set up a workshop along the lines of what he had proposed
in Spain. *Based upon your ability to live for some uncertain time in
Europe, combined with a certain arrogance(???) about money, I ask
again: Are you sure that you aren't some form of trust fund baby???

oly

Ha Ha Ha.. If you only knew. You're right about Spain. I was there in
1988 and hammered out the concept with Glenn Murray who is still
there. (he has the patience of a saint) In fact, I am still involved
in that project and planning to return in a few months. They are still
going by my original plan. (the same concept we used for the Gallery
Mint Museum.) The Segovia Mint is almost fully restored and ready to
install the waterwheels, rolling mills, etc. It is the first
mechanized mint in Spain, built by King Phillip II, the oldest
mechanized factory still standing. Now, it's been restored to it's
original glory. *But they are having the same problem we encountered
as far as funding the actual exhibits. (money) I donated a lot of my
time and built a set of bellows that will be used in their foundry and
hope to do more for them.

My point is about the bars... Of course you don't have that kind of
money.. If I did, I would own one too. *Those very large bars are
EXTREMELY hard to sell. There is a VERY limited market at 3-4X melt
value. *They used two very large bars for the project we're talking
about. I was told that besides being very large, they were kind of
boogered up, and that's why they were chosen for this project. Monaco
bought those things for the sole purpose of selling for a profit.
It's THEIR property to do with as they like. *They're not building gas
chambers to kill Jews. It's all about supply and demand. I personally
don't see a problem with it, and will defend THEIR right to do with
THEIR property as they see fit. *I personally think they did something
very classy with the gold. I know you see it different. You have a
right to your opinion.- Hide quoted text -

All right, we are back to agree to disagree. *I did not know that the
Spanish project had gone forward after all these years and would be
happy to hear more about that whenever. *Enjoy Spain, I hear it's less
expensive now than in recent years.

oly

That's good news. On the down side, I've also heard that American-
Spanish relations are not so well these days, but I don't think that
will affect me in any way. Check it out... *http://www.segoviamint.org/english/restoration.htm- Hide quoted text -

Quite a nice website - what a huge re-building project. Lots of Euros
being spent there. oly
Old July 8th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scratchmo

On Jul 7, 8:34*pm, "Bob F." wrote:

"Scratchmo" wrote in message

[...]

It's no small undertaking. And when you figure in years of set-backs
due to mayoral scandals, and government agency involvement, It's a
miracle Glenn has made it this far. I got frustrated years ago, and
took my toys and came home. It was a hard sell for me to find support
here in the States. I was constantly asked the question.. "Why can't
we have something like that here in the USA?" I listened and the
Gallery Mint Museum was born.
Old July 8th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"Scratchmo" wrote in message

Oly, you seem to be the world's expert on what other people should do
with their personal property. Keep in mind the people that purchased
the Central America treasure did so to make a profit. You could have
purchased ALL the bars and preserved them but you didn't. It's also
hypocritical that you criticize me for destroying those bars, and also
condemn me for NOT destroying my own creations. Again, if you would
like to fund my efforts, and destroy the results, it would be YOUR
property to do as you like. But don't condemn me for taking on this
commission so I can make a living at my chosen career. It's better I
did it using historically accurate techniques than have them go
elsewhere and get a sub-standard pantograph job.

Do yourself a favor and ignore this bloviating, racist,
blind-right-wing-extremist.

Old July 8th 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

On Jul 7, 8:52 pm, oly wrote:

Evasion!!!

Mr. Kettle, meet Mr. Pot.

Old July 9th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Scratchmo" wrote in message
On Jul 7, 8:34 pm, "Bob F." wrote:
"Scratchmo" wrote in message

. The most deceiving alterations are produced from authentic U.S.
coins, but I don't hear you get down on the Mint for making coins that
look too

much like U.S. coins.

That is probably the dumbest, most inane thing I've read in this NG
since Prancing Francine Prilosec's last post.
The bottom line is that you destroyed priceless artifacts to make some
crappy imitation slugs so you could put a few bucks in your pocket.
Don't even dare to think of yourself as a numismatist, you're just a
huckster (not at all unlike Francine!)

I didn't destroy anything. I engraved a set of dies for my client.

bob f and oly are trolls, please do not feed them, thanks. Billy

Old July 9th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 9, 2:05*pm, "note.boy" wrote:
"Scratchmo" wrote in message

On Jul 7, 8:34 pm, "Bob F." wrote:

"Scratchmo" wrote in message

. The most deceiving alterations are produced from authentic U.S.
coins, but I don't hear you get down on the Mint for making coins that
look too

much like U.S. coins.

That is probably the dumbest, most inane thing I've read in this NG
since Prancing Francine Prilosec's last post.
The bottom line is that you destroyed priceless artifacts to make some
crappy imitation slugs so you could put a few bucks in your pocket.
Don't even dare to think of yourself as a numismatist, you're just a
huckster (not at all unlike Francine!)

I didn't destroy anything. I engraved a set of dies for my client.

bob f and oly are trolls, please do not feed them, thanks. *Billy- Hide quoted text -

Billy!!! Did they give finally you enough oatmeal that you could drag
yourself up to the computer???

It's gonna be Dr. Sam Johnson's 300th birthday quite soon. He was a
great great great Englishman who had minimal use for Scots (yet it was
an unreliable Scotsman who immortalized Dr. Johnson's every spoken
word and prejudice).

oly