troy weight

Old April 18th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default troy weight

I have been investing (as my finances allow in silver and gold. I've read
that precious metals are weighed in troy weight. So when someone has a 1 lb.
silver bar to sell, thats a troy lb, isn't it? Some bars are just marked
10.20 oz, so thats troy ounces? Do they ever go by the avoirdupois(sp)
weight? I'm assuming all the spot silver/gold prices are measured in troy
ounces?
Thanks for the help.

Barbara

Old April 18th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

barbara beardsley wrote:
I have been investing (as my finances allow in silver and gold. I've read
that precious metals are weighed in troy weight.

Yes, if it is in ounces, it will be troy ounces.
Silver and gold are also sold in grams and kilograms.

So when someone has a 1 lb.
silver bar to sell, thats a troy lb, isn't it?

The troy pound (12 troy ounces) has not been in normal use
since the 19th century, but if someone does specify a pound
of precious metal it will be a troy pound. Note that a pound troy
is less than a pound avoirdupois even though an ounce troy is
larger than an ounce avoirdupois.

Avoirdupois pound = 16 avoirdupois ounces
Troy pound = 12 troy ounces

Avoirdupois Pound 7000 grains 453.59 grams
Troy Pound 5760 grains 373.24 grams
Troy Ounce 480 grains 31.1 grams
Avoirdupois Ounce 437.5 grains 28.35 grams

(grains are exact, gram equivalents are approximate)

Some bars are just marked
10.20 oz, so thats troy ounces? Do they ever go by the avoirdupois(sp)
weight?

That would be really confusing. The convention is that the weight
of precious metals is either troy or metric and never avoirdupois.

I'm assuming all the spot silver/gold prices are measured in troy
ounces?

Yes, either troy or metric.

Peter.

Old April 19th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Peter wrote:

Some bars are just marked
10.20 oz, so thats troy ounces? Do they ever go by the avoirdupois(sp)
weight?

That would be really confusing. The convention is that the weight
of precious metals is either troy or metric and never avoirdupois.

So a "one ounce" gold or silver coin such as an American Eagle
is a Troy ounce?
"Coin silver" is 90% silver, 10% copper. Does a one-ounce silver
coin contain one ounce of silver, or a total weight of one ounce with
90% of that being silver? If the latter (total weight one Troy
ounce), an interesting coincidence is that since a Troy ounce is about
10% bigger than an av. ounce, the coin would contain about one av.
ounce of silver.

I'm assuming all the spot silver/gold prices are measured in troy
ounces?

Yes, either troy or metric.

Metric (grams), not a metric ounce of some kind, right?

Old April 20th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 18 Apr 2006 14:13:43 -0700, "Peter" stated:

barbara beardsley wrote:
I have been investing (as my finances allow in silver and gold. I've read
that precious metals are weighed in troy weight.

Yes, if it is in ounces, it will be troy ounces.
Silver and gold are also sold in grams and kilograms.

So when someone has a 1 lb.
silver bar to sell, thats a troy lb, isn't it?

The troy pound (12 troy ounces) has not been in normal use
since the 19th century, but if someone does specify a pound
of precious metal it will be a troy pound. Note that a pound troy
is less than a pound avoirdupois even though an ounce troy is
larger than an ounce avoirdupois.

It was actually made illegal to use the troy pound. If someone sold
precious metal by the pound I would make no assumptions, I would ask
if they meant 12 troy ounces or 16 of the avoirdupois kind.

Avoirdupois pound = 16 avoirdupois ounces
Troy pound = 12 troy ounces

Avoirdupois Pound 7000 grains 453.59 grams
Troy Pound 5760 grains 373.24 grams
Troy Ounce 480 grains 31.1 grams
Avoirdupois Ounce 437.5 grains 28.35 grams

(grains are exact, gram equivalents are approximate)

Troy grains of .065grams came into use after the fall of the Western
Roman Empire. The Romand and Greek grain was based on a tropical tree
that the Germanic tribes did not know so they went with the more
familiar barley.

Old April 20th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:18:15 +0000 (UTC), Merlin Dorfman
wrote:

So a "one ounce" gold or silver coin such as an American Eagle
is a Troy ounce?

Yes.

"Coin silver" is 90% silver, 10% copper. Does a one-ounce silver
coin contain one ounce of silver, or a total weight of one ounce with
90% of that being silver?

The US Silver Eagle is not coin silver, it is 99.9% Fine, and contains
one Troy Ounce of Silver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Silver_Eagle

Old April 20th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In a recent message "barbara beardsley" wrote:

Just out of curiousity, what is the other .1% ?

I suspect that it is probably mainly zinc, copper or lead, as
these metals are used in the refining of silver.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old April 21st 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:55:53 GMT, "barbara beardsley"
wrote:

Just out of curiousity, what is the other .1% ?

Soylent Green?

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!