FYI: ASA-Accugrade files new suit in US District Court

Old January 30th 05, 10:17 PM
note.boy

Bruce Remick wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in message

Bruce Remick wrote:

--
"note.boy" wrote in message

Bruce Remick wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in message
I live in the UK and I have one slabbed coin in my collection, a

UK
error coin that I happened to like, so I've not dealt with slabbed
coins
very much.

I still know however that slabbing benefits only the slabbing
companies,
I would still be of this opinion if I had never bought a single
slabbed
coin.

Are you saying that tens of thousands of knowledgeable collectors

and
dealers have been hoodwinked now for years?

Yes, although I would say "less knowledgeable collectors" and not
"knowledgeable collectors". Dealers have not been hoodwinked as they
profit massively from the myth that MSwhatever slabbed coins are often
worth a fortune compared to slightly lower grade examples, the Emperor
has no clothes but no one has said so, yet.

The less knowledgeable collector can purchase the same "slab" as the
knowledgeable collector with the confidence that it will much more
attractive than a raw coin when it comes time to sell. If a dealer can
profit, so can a careful collector. As long as there are customers for
high-MS slabbed coins there will be sellers offering them. On the other
hand, the opportunities are there for those who favor raw coins to

obtain
bargains, as the better specimens are being slabbed. There's something

for
everyone.

The problem is that not all slabbed coin types with the same grade on
the label can be 100% guaranteed to be the same grade, this can be down
to the grading company's standing in the league table or the grader may
have had an off day, the less knowledgeable collector may not be aware
of this and will accept the grade on the label as gospel. Slabbing has
introduced an extra unnecessary layer of knowledge that the new
collector has to master or risk a financial penalty later when selling.

Hey, there are few guarantees in life, except for the one we all don't like
to think about. Since there is an active market for high MS grade coins
here in the US, the opinion of a reputable third party service has become
recognized as a safety net for those who want to play this game. There's
no such thing as an unnecessary layer of knowledge when it comes to the fine
points of interprreting the grades of high priced, high grade coins. Some
confide in the reputable slabbers. Others don't. Neither is wrong.

My argument is that no one should be paying silly money for allegedly
high MS graded coins whether slabbed on not, minuscule improvements in
grade is not worth paying mega bucks for. Slabbed high MS coins give
collectors a false sense of security.

Overgrading can be true of unslabbed coins but the price differential if
a slabbed coin has been overgraded is more than for an unslabbed coins.
It's foolish to pay mega bucks for a high MS coin when at the end of the
day it's just an opinion and the difference in the coin's appearance is
minimal.

I avoid using the word "raw" as I think that term is derogatory towards
unslabbed coins.

In your mind, maybe. To most others it's simply a commonly used term. Are
you really concerned about the feelings of your coins?

I bet that the term "raw" was invented by a dealer and not a collector
to make unslabbed coins seem less desirable than slabbed ones.

You say you don't deal with
slabs, yet you claim to "know" the inside information about who

benefits
from slabbing in the US? I suspect many here in the US would differ
with
you-- from first hand experience.

List the benefits for collectors buying slabbed coins versus unslabbed
ones, it shouldn't take long.

The benefits I see are confidence in authentification, stable value and
demand in the marketplace, and generally a better quality coin than most

raw
ones offered. More and more of the better raw examples are disappearing
from the marketplace and are being placed in slabs. I don't trust my
ability to always tell if a raw coin may have been cleaned and perhaps
refused by a grading company. I won't buy an attractive slabbed coin

at a
price I feel has been inflated to include the slabbing cost. With the
exception of a one-time special offer, I don't send coins off to be

graded
and slabbed. I prefer slabbed coins for my type set and raw coins for

my
series collections. Just my preference.

Authentication can be assured if unslabbed coins are bought from a long
time dealer with a high reputation, slabbing is not necessary. Only USA
based collectors think that slabbing is often essential, elsewhere it's
not necessary and the various MS grades mean nothing outside the USA.

When you want to sell your unslabbed coin to me, your claim of having bought
it from a long time dealer means nothing to me, regardless of who the dealer
might be. Prove it. Since you feel the various MS grades mean nothing
outside the US, what's your problem then? Sure, some US collectors think
that slabbing is often essential. Our slabbed MS coins shouldn't bother you
in the UK. Unless you have seen a growing demand for "our" slabbed coins
over there.

I have all receipts for the coins that I have bought from major dealers,
is that enough proof for you?

If not then you will understand how MS graded UK coins mean nothing to
UK collectors.

The problem is that USA collectors have been brainwashed into paying
silly money for alleged high grade MS coins, grades that don't exist
outside the USA. There are equivalents of UK grades in europe but USA
grading is unique, why it that?

Why trust a grading company, who do not buy and sell coins (usually),
over a long established dealer who does so every day?

Would you rather trust a grading service that *does* buy and sell coins?
There are some large, long-established dealers here in the US, and probably
in the UK as well, who do not enjoy a good reputation among knowledgeable
collectors. They often rely on novice collectors who will buy their "raw"
coins and not question them.

Of course I would not trust a grading company that sells its own graded
coins, only a fool would do that.

You are wise not to restrict yourself to slabbed coins only.

There is endless debate over the ranking of the grading companies

and
lot of cracking out goes on trying to get a higher grade, there is
also
discussion as to how the grading "standards" have changed over the
years.
So as I said above, slabbing benefits only the slabbing companies.

Among those who collect and deal with third-party-slabbed coins,

there
is
little debate over ranking of the companies.

The fact that there IS a ranking for the grading companies only proves
that the slabbing of coins IS a joke.

I don't get your reasoning. In the US there are rankings for doctors,
lawyers, mid-size autos, you name it. Does this make the medical
profession a joke?

Apples and oranges, but have you heard of Doctor Harold Shipman?, a UK
doctor, now deceased?

I think you'll find consumer rankings for many products and services

where
different brands or companies are are involved. Why should slabbing
services be any different? Where there is competition, the cream will

rise
to the top, as it usually does.

If there are rankings for the grading companies due to differences in
grading standards then what is the point of slabbing coins? As there is
no universally recognised grading standard for slabbing coins the whole
process is worthless.

There are rankings for grading companies based on their perceived adherance
to the most widely accepted standards of grading here in the US. The fact
is that some are considered much more consistent in their interpretations
than others. These companies have the highest regard among collectors.
Coins slabbed by lesser-rated companies will typically sell for less than
the others. If this bothers you, there are many other collecting options
and you should maybe avoid US coins altogether. The rest of us seem able to
live with things as they are.

Again, if there are different rankings for grading companies what the
point of have coins slabbed? Collectors then have to know which place
in the rankings a grading company has before being able to make an
informed buying decision, new collectors may not be aware of this, the
very people that slabbing is claimed to protect.

A UK dealer is currently attempting to sell slabbed coins here in

the
UK, I hope it is a miserable failure and that they loose a lot of
money
as this will deter others from trying to do the same.

Why should you care, as long as you will still have a choice between

raw
and
slabbed coins?

I don't want the less knowledgeable here in the UK to be suckered in

paying silly money for slabbed coins as has happened in the USA. The
"investment" word appears on their home page, this should be a big red
flag.

Your presumption here is that they are being "suckered". Over the long

run,
I would say the slabbed high grade coin would generally be a better
investment than a comparable raw one. The less informed person often

would
be better served buying a professionally graded coin if he is determined

buy coins at all. Silly money can just as often be paid for overgraded

or
problem raw coins.

They are been suckered, the attempt may fail, as the market for slabbed
UK coins in the UK is virtually non existent. A coin bought from a long
time UK dealer with a high reputation HAS been professionally graded.

Again, your concern is curious since you say slabbed coins in the UK are
virtually nonexistant. Your coin bought from a long time UK dealer with a
high reputation versus my coin slabbed by a top-rated grading service. At
least I can prove what I have. You are asking me to believe that your claim
should guarantee something to me. Does every UK dealer grade identically?
Is every UK dealer who sells coins for a living a professional grader?

No, of course not every UK dealer grades identically, but in the UK a
tiny difference in MS grade does not have a dramatic effect on the value
of a coin because we have no MS grading system. You seem to be
suggesting that the only "professional graders" are those that work for
the USA grading companies, are you? A UK dealer who consistently
overgraded his coins would not be around for long.

http://www.certifiedgbcoins.com/

They want £750 for this coin, crown 1898 LXII (on edge) MS64

http://www.certifiedgbcoins.com/Crow...XII%20ms64.htm

They want £500 for this one in MS63

http://www.certifiedgbcoins.com/Crow...XII%20ms63.htm

Can anyone explain the difference in the appearance that makes one
worth
£750 and the other £500?

And once that has been explained explain why anyone should buy

either
when a coin with an identical catalogue value, crown 1899 LXII, is

on
offer from Spink in "a few minor surface marks, very attractively
toned
with underlying brilliance, as struck" condition for £375?

If someone buys the £750 coin, why not ask him?

I'm asking you, why should they? £375 is a lot to pay for a bit of
plastic, it doubles the cost of the coin for zero benefit.

Who's to say why people do things? Perhaps there's something about that
expensive coin that you missed. If a knowledgeable UK collector buys it,
you probably did miss something.

Some people pay a lot of money for a coin with "purty colours", why?
The £750 coin is nothing special, the buyer would be paying £375 for a
bit of plastic, I doubt if it will find a UK buyer, if at all.

Pretend that you have £750 to spend on coins and that you fancy a
Victorian crown like the ones I listed, would you blow it on the

slabbed
coin at £750 or buy the Spink one at £375 and still have £375 left to
spend on other coins?

If I thought the price was way out of line, just because of the holder,

might pass, assuming both coins were otherwise identical. If I saw that

all
similar Victorian crowns in a particular company's slab were routinely
traded at this higher price, I might ponder it. If I had been

collecting
raw crowns, I would likely continue to purchase only raw crowns.

Purchasing
expensive slabbed coins should not be an impulse thing. I would have to
justify to myself that such a purchase would be right for me as a

collector.

The prices ARE way out of line just because of the holder. The slabbed
coins will not be routinely traded at a higher price as I'm fairly sure
that UK collectors will not be taken in, but time will tell.

UK collectors make decisions the same as collectors everywhere else. If
they all feel the way you do, the UK will be safe from the US slabber virus
for awhile at least.

I think that the majority do and I hope that we will. No UK collector
has yet made made a post in support of slabbing UK coins. Two I think
have cancelled their subscription the the dealer's auction catalogues, I
have bought from them in the past but never again.

I trust Spink's grading more than some slabbing company's as Spink

have
been doing it for 339 years and I have not noticed any reduction in
their grading standards over the past 27 or so years. How do I know
this, by comparing the coin pics in old and new editions of their
Numismatic Circular. Billy

You have your standards and you can be satisfied by sticking to them.
Others may feel more comfortable considering a professionally graded

coin.
Whether you personally like slabs or not should not affect how you

choose to
collect.

Again an unslabbed coin bought from a long time dealer with a high
reputation HAS been professionally graded.
Why are you of the opinion that only a slabbed coin has been
"professionally graded"? I think that you have been brainwashed by the
grading companies hype. When I snap my fingers you will come out of it,
"snap", did it work? Billy

Again, what constitutes a professional? Anyone who sells coins for a
living? If you faithfully believe every UK coin shoppe owner's grading,
it's you who may be vulnerable to get "suckered in". The reputable
professional graders in the US have no financial stake in the coin they're
grading and slabbing. Your UK dealer grades his coin and then sells it.
Unbiased? This situation isn't unique to the UK. We have the same
situation here. That's why some collectors here prefer independently-graded
and slabbed coins. And others don't. No big deal. No need for you to
feel threatened by our slabbers, unless you are having second thoughts about
how a potential buyer might grade that crown you bought twenty years ago
from a UK "professional grader". If not, you're safe. Go on collecting.

Bruce

I have no idea what constitutes a professional grader, as far as I know
there are none in the UK.

Going by the UK coins on ebay most of my coins are at least "EF". :-)
Billy
Old January 30th 05, 10:53 PM
K6AZ

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:46:58 GMT, "Harv" wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in message

Again an unslabbed coin bought from a long time dealer with a high
reputation HAS been professionally graded.
Why are you of the opinion that only a slabbed coin has been
"professionally graded"? I think that you have been brainwashed by the
grading companies hype. When I snap my fingers you will come out of it,
"snap", did it work? Billy

I bought a Gold quarter eagle from one of the most respected dealers in the
USA at a show a couple years ago. I sent it in to PCGS. It came back in a
body bag: "Cleaned or Whizzed." He guaranteed authenticity, he didn't
guarantee his coins had never been cleaned or whizzed.
This left a sour taste in my mouth. At the next show, I showed him the body
bag flip and he gave me a dirty look and offered to buy it back for a
percentage less than I had paid him for it. I took the money, added some
money to it, walked over to another dealer, and bought one already in an NGC
slab..

I don't know diddley **** about British Crowns, I don't collect them, but I
understand and respect your opinions about Spinks' reputation. This dealer
also had a sterling reputation, but it would have always bothered me to keep
this coin, knowing that it could never be slabbed, at least not by PCGS or
NGC. ANACS would slab it with a net grade. I decided not to go that route..

Harv, I can't recall if I told you this or not, but this is the same dealer who
had a 1934-D Washington quarter in a PCGS AU58 slab with "MS63" on
a label, asking MS63 money at Charlotte a couple of years ago.
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm
Old January 30th 05, 11:58 PM
note.boy

Fetch the tar and feathers. :-) Billy

James Highboy wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in message
How can "one of the most most respected dealers" sell coins but NOT
guarantee that they have not been cleaned or whizzed? As we all know
the presence of either greatly reduces the value of a coin. Billy

Billy, over here on this side of the water it happens all the time. And
while the value changes with cleaning or whizzing, often the price asked
does not.

James
'I know, complaining again'

Old January 31st 05, 12:30 AM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:53:43 -0500, K6AZ wrote:
Harv, I can't recall if I told you this or not, but this is the same dealer who
had a 1934-D Washington quarter in a PCGS AU58 slab with "MS63" on
a label, asking MS63 money at Charlotte a couple of years ago.

What's wrong with that? Those old 58s are the 63s of the future! ;o)

Chuck

Old January 31st 05, 02:44 AM
Bob Peterson

harv - I have to ask this of you. if you liked the coin enough to buy it in
the first place, why did it bother you that a slabbing company declared it
whizzed? You obviously liked the coin, then someone else made a derogatory
judgment about it that changed your mind.

After it came back body bagged, were you able to determine with your own
senses that it actually was whizzed? or did you rely solely on the opinion
of the slabbing people.

Old January 31st 05, 02:48 AM
Bob Peterson

"WinWinscenario" wrote in message
Source? Attribution? Slabs have been a standard part of the hobby for
almost
20 years now. Third-party authentication goes back even further to the
days
when ANACS was owned by the ANA.
--
mark

I think the evolution of the hobby has been reflected in the
transformation of
some of the leading figures. For example, Q. David Bowers used to write
derogatorily about the need for 3rd party grading. Then he got sucked
into a
CU stock deal that made him a millionaire (again) many times over. All of
sudden, slabs became a -good- thing, and his writing started to reflect
that
completely different view.

Or maybe he just changed his mind over time. Most of us, if we are being
intellectually honest, have realized that something we believed was true no
longer is. Things do change, and the market acceptance of slabbed coins
make them a big part of today's coin market. that was not true even ten
years ago.

Regards,
Tom

Old January 31st 05, 03:58 AM
Bruce Remick

"note.boy" wrote in message

My argument is that no one should be paying silly money for allegedly
high MS graded coins whether slabbed on not, minuscule improvements in
grade is not worth paying mega bucks for. Slabbed high MS coins give
collectors a false sense of security.

I would agree personally. But as long as people trust a grading service's
call that a particular coin is a MS68 or MS69, and will pay "silly money"
for it, the game will continue. You think it's stupid. I think it's
stupid. But slabbed high MS coins actually give some collectors a *strong*
sense of security. Ironically, many of these same collectors would pass on
a MS69 coin from a reputable dealer at $200, but would pay $600 for the same
MS69 coin in a reputable slab. No doubt, the slab is the driving force here
with the "registry set" crowd. I don't identify with that game.

I bet that the term "raw" was invented by a dealer and not a collector
to make unslabbed coins seem less desirable than slabbed ones.

I have no idea how, where or why the term originated, but it has become a
handy 3-letter word to clearly describe a coin that has not been slabbed.

I have all receipts for the coins that I have bought from major dealers,
is that enough proof for you?

In theory, no. All it shows me is that you paid XX for a coin that you
claim is same the one you are offering to sell me.

If not then you will understand how MS graded UK coins mean nothing to
UK collectors.

I have no trouble understanding or accepting that. Why do have trouble
accepting what MS grades mean to many US collectors, and how grading
services are used in the US?

The problem is that USA collectors have been brainwashed into paying
silly money for alleged high grade MS coins, grades that don't exist
outside the USA. There are equivalents of UK grades in europe but USA
grading is unique, why it that?

US collectors *live* in the USA. Why should they care how our MS-graded US
coins are perceived outside the US? Many US collectors don't even collect
high MS-graded US coins. Maybe UK collectors have been brainwashed by
dealers into believing that a perfect "gem" uncirculated crown is worth no
more than another uncirculated one that isn't quite as attractive.
Ridiculous? Sure. Same as your perception of our US "problem".

Actually, US heritage is largely UK and European. Maybe we got the folks
who were dissatisfied with the grading methods over there.

Why trust a grading company, who do not buy and sell coins (usually),
over a long established dealer who does so every day?

Would you rather trust a grading service that *does* buy and sell coins?
There are some large, long-established dealers here in the US, and

probably
in the UK as well, who do not enjoy a good reputation among

knowledgeable
collectors. They often rely on novice collectors who will buy their

"raw"
coins and not question them.

Of course I would not trust a grading company that sells its own graded
coins, only a fool would do that.

You're starting to see the light.

I don't get your reasoning. In the US there are rankings for doctors,
lawyers, mid-size autos, you name it. Does this make the medical
profession a joke?

Apples and oranges, but have you heard of Doctor Harold Shipman?, a UK
doctor, now deceased?

If you have eight companies all offering the same service, someone somewhere
will likely rank them based on various criteria. Grading services were
ranked here recently. Some came out high overall. Others not so high. All
offer a similar service but may compete for customers in different ways--
cheaper rates, quicker turnaround times, guarantees, etc. People submitting
coins for grading and authentification choose the one that suits their taste
and goals.

Had Dr. Shipman been rated and slabbed, many folks might still be alive
today.

Again, if there are different rankings for grading companies what the
point of have coins slabbed? Collectors then have to know which place
in the rankings a grading company has before being able to make an
informed buying decision, new collectors may not be aware of this, the
very people that slabbing is claimed to protect.

The point of having a coin slabbed is for authentification, to obtain a
professional opinion of it's grade, and to ensure it has not been cleaned or
conserved. The slabbed coin carries this documentation as the coin
transfers from owner to owner-- something a paper receipt or invoice can't
do. The slab of the company that performed this service will often dictate
the demand and market value of the coin inside. If you want the "best", you
typically look first to the company(s) with the best reputation in the
hobby.

New collectors have an obligation to themselves to do some minimal research
on how to collect wisely before spending their good money blindly. A little
study will soon enlighten the newbie.

[...]

You said or at least implied that a coin graded by a UK dealer is considered
to be "professionally graded". In the US, when we say a coin has been
professionally graded, it usually implies that one of the independent
services did the grading. Simply a difference in semantics. I said I
understand when you say that in the UK there is little or no interest in
anything like the 11 stages of uncirculated-ness we apply to US coins. I
presume you understand that the MS60-70 grading increments have a strong
following here. Most collectors who collect the lofty grades above MS64
prefer their coins to be "professionally graded". They either submit their
own coins to be graded and slabbed, or buy slabbed coins that someoine else
already submitted. You can chuckle at all this, but you don't have to
agree with it or worry about it, because it apparently doesn't apply to
collecting in the UK.

Some people pay a lot of money for a coin with "purty colours", why?
The £750 coin is nothing special, the buyer would be paying £375 for a
bit of plastic, I doubt if it will find a UK buyer, if at all.

Maybe not, but someone is wasting time if they're offering it at a truly
inflated price.

UK collectors make decisions the same as collectors everywhere else. If
they all feel the way you do, the UK will be safe from the US slabber

virus
for awhile at least.

I think that the majority do and I hope that we will. No UK collector
has yet made made a post in support of slabbing UK coins. Two I think
have cancelled their subscription the the dealer's auction catalogues, I
have bought from them in the past but never again.

If I were a UK collector living in the UK, I would probably avoid any
slabbed coins in my area of specialization, too. But, living here in the
US, find comfort in having my better type coins and all gold coins
authenticated and slabbed for (my) posterity. I would not buy a copper
coin in a slab because I don't like them that way in my collection. I
collect US large cents, Conder Tokens, Hard Times Tokens, and similar US and
foreign coppers, none of which is in a slab.

I have no idea what constitutes a professional grader, as far as I know
there are none in the UK.

Going by the UK coins on ebay most of my coins are at least "EF". :-)

Over here, it's usually a company that provides this service for a fee and
then encapsulates the coin with the description. But I assume you already
knew that. You may find it ironic that some of the most respected and
capable US coin dealers will buy a raw coin at auction and then turn around
and have it graded and slabbed for resale. Who do you trust anymore?

Bruce

Old January 31st 05, 04:15 AM
Bruce Remick

"Ian" wrote in message
Bruce Remick wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message

Bruce Remick wrote:

Where there is competition, the cream will rise
to the top, as it usually does.

Here in Scotland the quaint old expression "sh*t floats" about sums that
up. ;-)

Dead bodies float, too. So do most ocean liners, sh*t, and cream. Gold

and
silver sinks. So do drowning living bodies, and sh*t (eventually). I
don't know what any of this means but it doesn't sum up anything for me.

Bruce

Yep. Branding works. All slabbing companies would like you to make their
particular brand of slabbing an integral part of your collecting habit.

Fortunately (so far) those of us in the UK with a collecting habit are
not having our addictions manipulated quite to the same extend as you
guys are / have been. There simply hasn't been the same amount of
marketing done over here. Then again, there isn't the same kind of money
to be made from it to warrant heavy marketing over here either.

The more faith you put in the slabbers the more power you give them to
determine what `the market' will accept as being a moveable standard for
grading and other conditions, thus sanctioning grade drift etcetera....

So while to you these slabbing companies are `the cream' to me they are
as i've already described. I guess at the end of the day some collectors
treat slabs like money. An idea backed by confidence. If the confidence
is there, the slab has a perceived value. If the confidence goes, so
does the perception of `value'. All down to `trust'. From what i've
seen, `trust' is the last thing I would put on the`plus' side of
slabbing, but that's just me.

Billy and I have already discussed much of this here. Actually, slabbing is
not as compelling here in the US as you folks seem to believe. Indeed much
more so than in the UK, but certainly not universally accepted here.
Regardless of how much faith one has in slabbed coins, it's hard to ignore
when dealer lists and auction results show coins slabbed by ABCD selling for
$30% more than identical graded coins not slabbed at all. We can all choose
not to play the game, but it's hard not to take a peek once in a while.
Everyone complains about grade creep, inconsistencies, etc. among grading
services, but they still patronize these services.

I certainly did not mean to imply that *all* grading services are "cream".
I meant that the reputable ones will be the "cream" that rises to the top
over time. Look at the blind confidence we place in whomever appraises and
grades a diamond. Pure "trust" here for 99% of purchasers. And the
diamond isn't even in a slab.

Bruce

Older Accugrade Labels? eXistenZ32 Coins 0 September 4th 04 04:13 PM
Ira has been served! Ira Stein Coins 53 May 8th 04 08:48 PM
Coin World finally reports on the suit K6AZ Coins 47 May 2nd 04 11:02 AM
Interesting case Ned Flanders Coins 1 April 16th 04 10:34 PM
Talking G. W. Bush and Clinton, Non-Talking Top Gun G. W. Bush in Flight Suit Dolls For Sale Donna Dolls 0 December 31st 03 06:42 PM