More german postmarks

Old January 9th 10, 08:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Default More german postmarks

I have a number of further German postmarks to identify

1. Old 4-figure postcode 8045 on 100pf women. What is the town ?

2. ??????nz (Donau) 13. I cannot find a town ending with nz in the
present kreis of Donau. A large town ( 13 postal districts + ) ending
in nz would be Koblenz. however is this in a "previous" Donau region.
The stamp is a 6pf Hindenburg. My geographical knowledge is
insufficient to extrapolate further.

3. Pforz???? 753?( old postcode ). Fallingrain tells me this has to be
either Pforzen(87666) or Pforzheim(75172).Given the old postcode my
guess is Pforzheim.

4. ???nsburg 3 ?239(old postcode. Don't have a clue but is this
possibly Flensburg ?

5.?????dhau( s or possibly b) 20pf building. I don't expect to get
this one !!

6. Old postcode 8220 60pf german women. What town please?

7. Almost illegible but I think is ???ecken Elm??? old postcode 533?
20pf german women.

8. New postcode 35270 ( 20pf Nefertiri). Does not appear on any
postcode list I can access

9. Another impossibility I fear - ?????m (Westf ) old postcode ??45 on
50pf Technology

Exercise your brains folks please - much better than crossword
puzzles !! Thank you in advance for your efforts even if unsuccesful.

malcolm
Old January 9th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ryan Davenport

malcolm wrote:
I have a number of further German postmarks to identify

1. Old 4-figure postcode 8045 on 100pf women. What is the town ?

http://reichsmeldestelle.info/plz/i.html
http://reichsmeldestelle.info/plz/z.html

The above site says it could be 8045 Ismaning or 8045 Zwillingshof.

2. ??????nz (Donau) 13. I cannot find a town ending with nz in the
present kreis of Donau. A large town ( 13 postal districts + ) ending
in nz would be Koblenz. however is this in a "previous" Donau region.
The stamp is a 6pf Hindenburg. My geographical knowledge is
insufficient to extrapolate further.

I would guess Linz, Austria (which became part of Germany after the
Anschluss). Linz is situated on the Danube, Donau is the
German-language name for Danube. Linz is a large city, currently 3rd
largest in Austria.

3. Pforz???? 753?( old postcode ). Fallingrain tells me this has to be
either Pforzen(87666) or Pforzheim(75172).Given the old postcode my
guess is Pforzheim.

reichsmeldestelle.info/plz/p.html

This was 7530 Pforzheim.

4. ???nsburg 3 ?239(old postcode. Don't have a clue but is this
possibly Flensburg ?

Flensburg was 2390 - perhaps a sorting character, or just a blotch
on your postmark. Any town large enough to have at least 3 post offices
almost certainly wouldn't have a 4-digit PLZ ending in any number other
than 0. There is a 5239 Bölsberg, it has a whopping population of 266,
for example.

5.?????dhau( s or possibly b) 20pf building. I don't expect to get
this one !!

Yes, that one will take some patience ...

6. Old postcode 8220 60pf german women. What town please?

http://reichsmeldestelle.info/plz/w.html

Probably 8220 Traunstein.

7. Almost illegible but I think is ???ecken Elm??? old postcode 533?
20pf german women.

The only 4-digit PLZ I find with 533? is 5330 Königswinter. How
about a 5-digit PLZ? There's a Meckenheim in Nordrhein-Westfalen with
PLZs from 53333 to 53340.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meckenheim
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meckenheim_%28Rheinland%29

8. New postcode 35270 ( 20pf Nefertiri). Does not appear on any
postcode list I can access

Searches are so uncommon for that PLZ that I expect they're typos.
I found 35274 Kirchhain and 35275, 35276 and 35279 Neustadt (Hessen,
there are a million Neustadts in Germany). Perhaps what you see as a
"0" at the end is actually a "6" or a "9".

9. Another impossibility I fear - ?????m (Westf ) old postcode ??45 on
50pf Technology

More patience needed ...
A fast way to search for 4-digit PLZs is to use Google and enter
the following in the search box:

site:reichsmeldestelle.info 8220

Of course, use your desired PLZ in place of "8220".

Ryan
Old January 11th 10, 10:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Ryan

Thanks a million!

I will bookmark that website - hopefully I will then bother you all
less.

I never thought about Austria, but obviously there are also bits of
present day Poland and all Luxemburg to consider too (in period). I
have in fact a picture postcard and postmark for a place called
Wustergersdorf, which is now 58-340 Gluszyck in Poland. I have
actually found a website which lists German/Polish names from the
postwar carve-up of Eastern Germany. Strange how such an obscure
subject is so easy to find, but a simple thing like the 4-figure
postcodes of Germany is so difficult. I suspect that " Google
overload" is the culprit.I really must study refining searches.

Thanks again. More postmarks from more countries follow.

Malcolm

http://reichsmeldestelle.info/plz/i....nfo/plz/z.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meckenh...28Rheinland%29

Old January 11th 10, 12:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Ryan and all

I have found another website www.geonames.org. Using the search on
this shows Zwillinghof ( 8045) as being purely a farm - albeit in the
right area. Therefore by elimination the postmark must be Ismaning.

Also further examination of the Flensburg? postmark shows that the 3
is directly below the "md" timecode which means that the postcode must
read "239".
I know that very large cities in this period (1980) often only had a 2-
digit code on the postmark( regional sorting office ? ), but was there
a 3-digit code for not so large regional cities? 239 must equate to
2390 ( plus possibly any other 4 digit code up to 2399 - if any ). I
have to say that this is the only 3-digit code I have - and
unfortunately I do not have the complete mark - but the symmetry does
suggest that there are only ( and only intended to be ) 3 digits.

Malcolm

Old January 11th 10, 04:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ryan Davenport

malcolm wrote:
I have found another website www.geonames.org. Using the search on
this shows Zwillinghof ( 8045) as being purely a farm - albeit in the
right area. Therefore by elimination the postmark must be Ismaning.

Interesting site, will check it out in more detail.

Also further examination of the Flensburg? postmark shows that the 3
is directly below the "md" timecode which means that the postcode must
read "239".
I know that very large cities in this period (1980) often only had a 2-
digit code on the postmark( regional sorting office ? ), but was there
a 3-digit code for not so large regional cities? 239 must equate to
2390 ( plus possibly any other 4 digit code up to 2399 - if any ). I
have to say that this is the only 3-digit code I have - and
unfortunately I do not have the complete mark - but the symmetry does
suggest that there are only ( and only intended to be ) 3 digits.

Any of the 4-digit PLZs could be abbreviated by stripping off any
zeros at the end. For example, you would often see Munich postmarks
with the PLZ simply written as "8", rather than the full "8000". In
Nuremberg, the "8500" would get truncated to "85".

Ryan

Postmarks. rodney General Discussion 5 September 11th 09 11:58 AM
Comparative frequencies of German Empire postmarks? Joshua McGee[_3_] General Discussion 16 December 25th 08 05:00 PM
West German(pre-unification) postmarks malcolm General Discussion 8 April 17th 08 09:50 AM
2 x 4 postmarks bubblegummom General Discussion 3 September 21st 06 08:33 PM
FA: British, German/German States, French, Guernsey coins hunlsi Coins 0 July 27th 03 07:08 PM