Another "what would you do?"

Old October 11th 03, 05:26 PM
Bill Krummel

Default Another "what would you do?"

Won this auction

http://tinyurl.com/qbmf

I paid using Paypal and received the coin two days ago, on the 9th, which is
only 3 days after auction end. Seller left positive fb on the 7th, "Fast
communication & payment...AAA+++ eBay eBuyer! Thanks!"

When I received the coin, I was disappointed in the reverse, because of a
pinhead sized black carbon spot, the first thing my eyes are drawn to when I
look at the reverse. My quick image of the coin;

http://tinyurl.com/qkfc

I emailed the seller on the day of receipt;

"Xxx, I received the 1934 Texas, NGC MS64, today and was disappointed to
see
the black carbon spot on the reverse, about pin head sized. I truly believe
that feature should have been mentioned in the auction description (the
auction had no reverse image, as I noticed in several other of your auctions
that I bid on). I would like to return the coin, and would like to hear
from you before I mail it. Thanks, Bill Krummel at "

After two days and no response, I emailed again;

"Hi. I won the eBay auction #3051158967, 1934 Texas NGC MS-64. I have
paid, you shipped, and I received the coin on the 9th. On the 9th, I
emailed you to say I was not pleased with the black carbon spot on the
reverse of the coin and would like to take advantage of your return policy.
You have not yet replied, so you may have not received the email. The
auction did not show an image of the reverse, and the verbal description
said, "There is some very slight toning on both sides of the coin.", which I
think did not describe the visual impact of the black carbon spot. I would
like to return the coin. Thanks, Bill Krummel at
"

There has not been ample time since this second email to know whether I will
have a response or not.

I feel I share some liability because I bid on an auction without a reverse
image. But, all of the auctions of this seller that I had viewed that day
had the same format, an obverse image and a brief verbal description of the
other side.

Considering everything - a good price, fast delivery, quick fb - am I
making too big a deal over a carbon spot?

Should the carbon spot at least been mentioned in the description? I think
so, but do you?

Is the tone of my emails requesting to return a fair and proper tone? They
sound fair to my ears but this is email and I don't know if negative
inflections can be interpretted into the words.

At this point, what would you do? I always have the option of selling the
coin and taking a small loss, which doesn't really concern me too much, that
has happened many times before. It is not a coin I will want to keep.
Bill

Old October 11th 03, 06:24 PM
Ian

Bill Krummel wrote:
[...]

That's not too bad a price you paid for an NGC slabbed MS64 `Texas' if
it's the same one you bought on ebay recently.

I'm pretty sure the seller will deliver on their promise but i
understand your concerns. If they don't respond, let me know. I might be
interested in the purchase(I presume that it is still inside the slab?)

Ian

Old October 11th 03, 06:56 PM
Bill Krummel

"Ian" wrote in message

Bill Krummel wrote:
[...]

Ian, if you like the coin, email me your proposal. It's still in the holder
and I think looks original and nice if you can tolerate the black spot.
Bill

Old October 11th 03, 07:11 PM
WinWinscenario

It is not a coin I will want to keep.
Bill

That seals the deal for me. If you feel strongly enough about the discrepancy
in condition, you should exercise the return policy.

Seller has to be aware that a distracting mark could be a deal-breaker for some
bidders, and it should have been mentioned.

Too bad, but it's better to return it than keep it if it fails to meet your
minimum specs.

Just my 2c,
Tom
Old October 11th 03, 08:19 PM
DONDI3

In article , "Bill Krummel"
writes:

[...]

Bill, you worry too much. I assume the seller has a money back guarantee as
most of us do. Maybe he's researching the deal to check the details. I find I
can't always answer emails immediately. (Coin shows, family sickness, a day or
two off for no pariticular reason). I'd give him another 3-4 days and then
resend, being more insistent on a reply.

If there's dead bugs in my Snicker blizzard, it doesn't make any difference it
doesn't make any difference how fast you serve it or how nice you are at the
window, I want another one or a refund.

dondi3
(hmm, that doesn't crunch like a snicker's bar)
DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old October 11th 03, 08:51 PM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

Personally, I think that anything that detracts from the appearance of the
coin should be mentioned in the description. Clearly, the spot detracts
from the coin. The seller should have mentioned it. I think he should
refund your money including your postage costs.

Richard

Old October 11th 03, 09:11 PM
Doggo

[...]

A couple of months ago you posted how a buyer had contacted you about the
condition of three coins in a set you were auctioning off. You were put
off that the buyer would think of asking such questions
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...7b177&rnum=111
Now you see why some people ask such questions? If you had concerns about
the reverse, maybe you should have asked before you bought.

I agree with your post (especially the spot being all you'll focus on), and
if it were me, I'd wait a reasonable time for a reply from the seller. If
none was to come, I'd move on and decide if I really
wanted to keep the coin (probably not).

Ed

Old October 12th 03, 12:06 AM
Bill Krummel

"DONDI3" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Krummel"

writes:

[...]

Yeah, I thought about the possibility the seller is off to a coin show.
Yes, if I still need to return, I will wait until Tuesday before making a
3rd request.

Hey, ok. We will be very careful when we make your Blizzard. I have had
a bug land in a Blizzard as it was handed out through the drive thru window,
and yes, we did replace it. In some parts of the world, a Bad Bug Blizzard
might be a best seller, although not likely around here. Bill

Old October 12th 03, 12:50 AM
Bill Krummel

"Doggo" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I may be wrong, but I think that is a slight mischaracterization of my
concern a few months ago. My post then was really trying to address (1) the
nature of imperfections, and how far should a seller go to point out any
imperfection and (2) the concern that the questions emailed me might
foretell of a potential winner who would take advantage of my liberal return
policy if he examined the coins under xx magnification and determined they
were not PF70s and he had not made a steal. I have never had that type of
problem but had heard of stories where people buy, hoping for the super high
grade at a lower grade price, then ask for a return when their expectations
are not met, even when the auction description says nothing to give the
buyer that type of expectation. I noted in that post I had visually
inspected the set and did not see any problems, which I had already noted in
my auction description. Iows, I thought that my description was very
adequate as it was. Anyway, there were no problems with the buyer of that
set.

And, no, frankly, with this current auction example, I did not have any
concerns about the reverse. But that is because I thought I knew what the
reverse looked like, from the verbal description. The reverse was described
in the verbal description and I accepted the description as it was. Had
that been the seller's only auction that did not show both sides, I probably
would have been leery and passed on the auction, but all of that seller's
auctions that I viewed followed the same format - image of one side only and
a verbal description of the reverse.

This particular auction, the 1934 Texas, really is just another example for
the purpose of my first post a couple of months ago. How far should this
seller have been expected to go? In my auction a few months ago, or any
auction, I would mention hazing, spots visible to the naked eye, and any
other imperfection that I would consider a potential distraction. But, I
may not mention, perhaps not see, one pin prick sized spot somewhere on a
coin. I may consider it insignificant. Had I been selling the 34 Texas, I
would certainly have mentioned the black carbon spot in my verbal, as well
as have an image showing it. Evidently, this seller did not feel it merited
mentioning. Thus, the difference of opinion between he and I, and the
question, "how far should a seller go?" If the spot had been much
smaller, or on the rim, I may have felt the description was fair and
accurate. Today, I am asking if others feel this spot should have been
mentioned in the seller's description.

One more example, then I'll shut up, since this is really not a serious
problem within our hobby. When I first sold coins, I did it at Coin
Universe, about six years ago. I listed a WL half in a PCGS 65 holder,
with a minimum bid requirement. The auction ended without a bid and I
received an offer, via email, for the coin at less than my minimum. I took
the offer and sent the coin off. The buyer emailed saying he had received
the coin and was not satisfied, that the coin had a milky haze on it and it
would not fit in his collection. I emailed back that I had never seen a
milky haze, but he could return the coin for a refund and if I concurred
with him upon viewing the coin again, I would refund all postage as well.
When I received the coin back, I found out that if you looked closely
enough, there was indeed a faint milky haze on the obverse field, to the
right of Liberty, just not noticeable with casual looks. I refunded all
postage and appreciated the guy for being so particular about his coins.

Soooo. What should be included in a description? The black carbon spot on
my 34 Texas? Anything that can be seen with the naked eye? Anything that
can be seen under 5X? 16X? Dondi, in his response in this thread, says I
worry too much. When I sell, I do worry a lot.

Well, I just looked back at this response. Someone, several years ago,
hinted that I was verbose, or windy, or some such term. Maybe they were
right. I'll quit now. Bill

Old October 12th 03, 06:10 AM
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:06:48 -0500, "Bill Krummel"
wrote:

I emailed the seller on the day of receipt;

After two days and no response, I emailed again;

Is the tone of my emails requesting to return a fair and proper tone?

Two or three whole days have elapsed and you have not received a
reply? Obviously, you are dealing with a person that has a life
outside of eBay and takes a few days off here and there. He may be
off at a show, on a mini-vacation, or even saying to-hell-with-it for
a couple of days and relaxing in a hammock in his back yard.

You remind me of the guy that sits behind me and honks his horn the
instant the light turns green. My inclination is to deliberately wait
for a few more moments and then pull away from the light with
exaggerated slowness.

Any second contact in less than a week is very likely to get the other
person's back up.