Evidence of upsurge in coin-collecting?

Old March 23rd 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

Default Evidence of upsurge in coin-collecting?

"note.boy" wrote in
I love children but I could never eat a whole one.

We had all reference to them removed from the marriage ceremony and we
were married by a Jesuit priest. Billy

The reason he will not tell you about his children, he does have them, is
that they were born with four legs and a tail. They cost just about as much
as the children the rest of us are used to, but unlike ours, they do not
talk back, but man they do leave a pile of poo to clean up. ;}

--
My Website on Numismatics - Scottish in Particular:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmoney

Old March 23rd 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Mar 22, 4:12*pm, "note.boy" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 22, 3:20 pm, "
wrote:

On Mar 22, 10:09 am, wrote:

I recently accessed US coin dealer Joel Anderson's web site and found
the following message:-

"NOTE: Due to the huge volume of orders we are running about two weeks
behind on processing orders."

What is causing this sudden popularity, I wonder? Is it the stock
market/credit crunch turmoil that is making people rush into coins?
(Not a good idea, IMHO). And is it silver coins they are going for, I
wonder?

Does any one have any idea what might have caused the upsurge in
interest? Is coin-collecting "on a roll" in the US?

Adam.

I think that the uncertainness of the U.S. economy, coupled with the
increases in
gold and silver may have something to do with it. Of course, that has
been tempered
in recent days with the actions of the Federal Reserve, causing the
stock market to
gain huge numbers and the metals markets to see a 'correction' of a
sort.
I only wish I had seen that writing on the wall as it was unfolding,
and sold off
part of my junk silver when it was $20+ an ounce... oh well.

Leshttp://life-of-coins.blogspot.com/

Did I read somewhere that there is only 17 years' supply of silver
left at current world usage rates? There's a limit to how much can be
discovered and mibned over the next 17 years too, so you'll probably
see a lot more than $20 per ounce if you can hang on for anothe decade
or so. That's if the current finanical turmoil, not to mention "peak
oil" (due early next decade), doesn't lead to "demand destruction".

Adam.

The move from chemical to digital photography must have lessened the demand
for silver, perhaps there is more demand for jewellery.

We have been told many times that oil is running out but it hasn't so far.
Billy- Hide quoted text -

Well actually china is using a hell of alot of silver right now.
Old March 23rd 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"scottishmoney" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in
I love children but I could never eat a whole one.

We had all reference to them removed from the marriage ceremony and we
were married by a Jesuit priest. Billy

The reason he will not tell you about his children, he does have them, is
that they were born with four legs and a tail. They cost just about as
much as the children the rest of us are used to, but unlike ours, they do
not talk back, but man they do leave a pile of poo to clean up. ;}

--
My Website on Numismatics - Scottish in Particular:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmoney

I would rather shovel organic fertiliser than change a nappy any day of the
week. :-) Billy

Old March 23rd 08, 11:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"sgt23" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 4:12 pm, "note.boy" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 22, 3:20 pm, "
wrote:

On Mar 22, 10:09 am, wrote:

[...]

China is using a hell of a lot of everything right now and always has done.
Billy

Old March 23rd 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 23, 11:25*am, "note.boy" wrote:

Well actually china is using a hell of alot of silver right now.

China is using a hell of a lot of everything right now and always has done..
Billy

Well, because of the size of their population, certainly. But in
modern times it's only since the 1980s, when China's state-directed
industrialisation started to take off (you can forget Mao's reign,
with his campaigns to scare birds out of trees and exhort the
population to use home-kilns), that it has come to rival the West in
its usage of resources. I remember reading a Grauniad article in 2006
by a correspondent who visited one of the new cities. He was dizzied
by the frenetic pace of development. It's thanks to the Chinese that
half (or is it now over half?) of the world's population now live in
cities. This terrifies the likes of James Lovelock, of Gaia fame, who
worries about what it'll do to the Earth's climate. As the old
Scottish bloke on Dad's Army used to say: "Aye... We're all DOOMED!!!"

Adam.
Old March 23rd 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 23, 12:54*am, "scottishmoney"
wrote:
"note.boy" wrote in

I love children but I could never eat a whole one.

We had all reference to them removed from the marriage ceremony and we
were married by a Jesuit priest. *Billy

The reason he will not tell you about his children, he does have them, is
that they were born with four legs and a tail. They cost just about as much
as the children the rest of us are used to, but unlike ours, they do not
talk back, but man they do leave a pile of poo to clean up. ;}

I was born with four *limbs* and a tail. And I thought that was normal
- for half of the population, anyway. . In those days, of course, it
was only polite to talk about tails with reference to coins or
animals. So perhaps I should say I was born with five limbs. The fifth
one's so short, I sometimes wonder if my mum was on Thalidomide.

Adam.
Old March 24th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Dibbell

That could also be marketing wordsmithing. The exact meaning might be, "I'm
taking two weeks vacation so don't expect your stuff until I get back from
Hawaii".

Bob

Old March 24th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

Might be time to pullout one of the old nukes! JUST KIDDING.

Old March 24th 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"sgt23" wrote in message
Might be time to pullout one of the old nukes! JUST KIDDING.

Not funny.

James

Old March 24th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Hobbyist

On 24 Mar, 04:44, "Robert Dibbell"
wrote:
That could also be marketing wordsmithing. *The exact meaning might be, "I'm
taking two weeks vacation so don't expect your stuff until I get back from
Hawaii".

Bob

A devious person like me - or you :-) - might operate like that, but
Joel is a very straight-forward guy, and if he *was* taking a holiday,
he would post a message to that effect - and he has done so in the
past. Once, he explained that there'd be a delay in mailing out orders
because he was taking time out to watch his daughter graduate from
military academy.

Adam.