why is this Silver Cert. worth so much?

Old September 10th 03, 12:35 AM
Anonymous Joe

Default why is this Silver Cert. worth so much?

"Frog" wrote in message
Here's the link:

http://www.trustedtraditions.com/tru...ial=F72000281B

And in case the link dies, here's the text:
"Serial # F72000281B, signatures of Julian/Morgenthau, Friedberg # 1605.
What the Fr 1605 1928-E Silver Certificate is to the 1928 Silver
Certificate type series is similar to what the Thumb is to the hand...it

is
the key component...The most important part...This note is a CGA 68 , only
one of 3 known and very rare. Research has revealed just four notes have
been certified Mint State 67. With only just a few grading 66...Serial
numbered printing began starting with F72000001, see this early printed
specimen with just three digits F72000281B...We would not mind considering
taking your lesser graded 1928-E towards this potential upgrade. This note
is amazing to view featuring the sharpest corners, the brightest inks with
fat racetrack type margins...We are confident the current healthy Hobby
Market will clamor for this Unique and Rare note. For any additional
questions do not hesitate to email us or call... Feeling Proud to bring to
market the "Best of the Best". With features such as bright paper, razor
sharp corners, perfect margins, and deep dark blue ink on the seal, this
note surpasses all others in its class. Very bright and crisp with deep
punch through embossing. High quality CGA 68 GEM. A rare and great
conversational piece."

Currently priced at $9850! Why is this worth so much, when my series

1928A
in the same condition is only worth $25? And what does this mean, "is
similar to what the Thumb is to the hand...it is the key component...The
most important part..." Is this hogwash or what?

It is one of only 3, according to them. I've got the price of a 67 graded
one at $4950. Seems like the extra point wouldn't be worth an EXTRA $4900.
Then again, it is a low serial number, I mean it is virtually #281.

My price sheet doesnt go to 68, though, but if you look back at the general
trend, I think that about $6500-7500 is what a normal 68 would get. The low
number certainly would help boost it up a little more, but I don't know
about the extra $2000 for the lower number, so.....then again, how many of
those other two 68s are for sale? Then again, are the 3 known ones only
known by CGA, or would they be taking into account all the other known
companies that grade currency?

Old September 10th 03, 11:29 AM
JSTONE9352

My price sheet doesnt go to 68, though, but if you look back at the general
trend, I think that about $6500-7500 is what a normal 68 would get. The low
number certainly would help boost it up a little more, but I don't know
about the extra $2000 for the lower number, so.....then again, how many of
those other two 68s are for sale? Then again, are the 3 known ones only
known by CGA, or would they be taking into account all the other known
companies that grade currency?

Its just a lot of silly population figure

slab hype. The coin market has been doing that stuff for years.

Who can really tell the difference between
an MS67 and an MS68?

A fool and his money.....

Old September 10th 03, 07:41 PM
Anonymous Joe

"JSTONE9352" wrote in message

My price sheet doesnt go to 68, though, but if you look back at the

general
trend, I think that about $6500-7500 is what a normal 68 would get. The

low
number certainly would help boost it up a little more, but I don't know
about the extra $2000 for the lower number, so.....then again, how many

of
those other two 68s are for sale? Then again, are the 3 known ones only
known by CGA, or would they be taking into account all the other known
companies that grade currency?

Its just a lot of silly population figure

slab hype. The coin market has been doing that stuff for years.

Who can really tell the difference between
an MS67 and an MS68?

A fool and his money.....

I suppose if you collect as an investment, which is a *very* dumb thing to
do, a 68 would be better than a 67, but first you have to find someone as
dumb as you to buy it again....

For me, personally, XF is the most I need. I don't collect for rare pieces,
for money, or anything, just to have something that isn't available
now....and an XF example of something is good enough for me.....I just like
the designs of old.......currency & coins.

Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
1880 Silver Dollar worth and variations? Orca Coins 2 September 10th 03 03:20 AM
1928-E $1.00 Silver Cert George M Paper Money 8 September 1st 03 12:56 AM
What do those letters mean? and "Whats it worth"? Revised George D Coins 2 July 16th 03 11:03 PM