A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Books
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Detective Book Club oddity



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old May 31st 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 131
Default Detective Book Club oddity

John R. Yamamoto-Wilson wrote:

Jim wrote:

Well, checking these titles on bookfinder, I come up with an
ordinary Detective Book Club edition as well, which leads me
to assume that 1969 (or 1970) *is* the date of publication.



I'm not sure why you think that. If a book carries a copyright but no
publication date then, unless there is other evidence to pin down the
date of publication, all one can assume is that it was published on or
after the copyright date.

my impression was that the titles were always contemporary
mysteries, and I'm wondering why, after 28--or even 35--years,
they should do this volume.



That Zane Grey website has a lot of info on Walter Black. Apparently
they did a lot of reprints of Zane Grey material during the 1960s:

The Walter J. Black Editions were reprints of seventy-three of
Zane Grey's titles with one additional title appearing as a First
Edition. The series also included a biography of Zane Grey.
Produced in the 1960's, they were bound in red and tan cloth and
originally came in a rice paper cover.

(http://www.zgws.org/black.html)

It goes on to discuss the value of these editions (most of them are of
little value, but there are one or two exceptions).

So Walter Black were reprinting Zane Grey stuff in the 1960s and several
of these reprints (according to http://www.zgws.org/zgfechrono.html)
were limited "leatherette" editions. It's not unreasonable to suppose
that they were reprinting other material from decades earlier and that
some of that, too, came out in limited editions with a leather binding.

John


Today I came across a learthette bound book from Walter Black. This was the
"Works of Tolstoi" bearing a copyright of 1928 (presumably for the translation).
But the condition of the book looked much more recent than 1928.


Francis A. Miniter
Ads
  #12  
Old May 31st 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default Detective Book Club oddity

Francis A. Miniter wrote:

Today I came across a learthette bound book from Walter Black. This was
the "Works of Tolstoi" bearing a copyright of 1928 (presumably for the
translation). But the condition of the book looked much more recent than
1928.


Interesting. I notice the copyright date they used on their Maigret titles
was the date of the original, rather than the date of the translation.
Anyway, the thing about reprint companies like this is that, since they
generally don't give a printing date and only use a copyright date, it's
well-nigh impossible to pin down the exact date of publication.

How do/did Walter Black distribute? This series is a "book club", so I'm
guessing it would be a subscription thing, right? If so, then these
leatherette and/or limited editions might have been special offers to
members, or inducements to become a member. They might have chosen their
most popular title(s) for this treatment, hence the OP's "vintage" volume in
a series of "current" mystery stories.

John

  #13  
Old May 31st 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 131
Default Detective Book Club oddity

John R. Yamamoto-Wilson wrote:

Francis A. Miniter wrote:


Today I came across a learthette bound book from Walter Black. This was
the "Works of Tolstoi" bearing a copyright of 1928 (presumably for the


translation). But the condition of the book looked much more recent than


1928.



Interesting. I notice the copyright date they used on their Maigret titles
was the date of the original, rather than the date of the translation.
Anyway, the thing about reprint companies like this is that, since they
generally don't give a printing date and only use a copyright date, it's
well-nigh impossible to pin down the exact date of publication.

How do/did Walter Black distribute? This series is a "book club", so I'm
guessing it would be a subscription thing, right? If so, then these
leatherette and/or limited editions might have been special offers to
members, or inducements to become a member. They might have chosen their
most popular title(s) for this treatment, hence the OP's "vintage" volume in
a series of "current" mystery stories.

John


That makes sense.

I mentioned Walter Black a couple of months ago with respect to an Erle Stanley
Gardner work, "The Case of the Singing Skirt". There is a dust jacket from
Morrow (Gardner's usual publisher) on it, but the book says Walter Black. The
copyright page says "published by special arrangement with William Morrow & Co."
But when I to an AddALL search for the book, I only get one Walter Black copy,
no Morrow copies. Strange. The Morrow dust jacket contains a $2.95 price, by
the way.


Francis A. Miniter
  #14  
Old May 31st 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jim[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Detective Book Club oddity

On May 30, 8:28 pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

Today I came across a learthette bound book from Walter Black. This was the
"Works of Tolstoi" bearing a copyright of 1928 (presumably for the translation).
But the condition of the book looked much more recent than 1928.


That would be a "Reader's Service" volume, I bet. The ordinary ones
were red, and the fancy ones (which you saw) a cream-colored binding,
if I recall.

You didn't happen to notice anything indicating it was "limited" in
any way, did you?

  #15  
Old May 31st 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 131
Default Detective Book Club oddity

Jim wrote:
On May 30, 8:28 pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

Today I came across a learthette bound book from Walter Black. This was the
"Works of Tolstoi" bearing a copyright of 1928 (presumably for the translation).
But the condition of the book looked much more recent than 1928.



That would be a "Reader's Service" volume, I bet. The ordinary ones
were red, and the fancy ones (which you saw) a cream-colored binding,
if I recall.

You didn't happen to notice anything indicating it was "limited" in
any way, did you?


No, but I may be able to get back and double check. Certainly there was nothing
on the copyright page. That I am sure of.


Francis A. Miniter
  #16  
Old May 31st 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jim[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Detective Book Club oddity

Jim wrote:
You didn't happen to notice anything indicating it was "limited" in
any way, did you?


Francis wrote:
No, but I may be able to get back and double check. Certainly there was nothing
on the copyright page. That I am sure of.


What I'm thinking is that these were not "limited" in the proper
sense, but "deluxe." (I grant that they were limited in the sense that
they were published in smaller numbers than the regular edition...) I
suspect that's also the case with the Zane Grey titles John cites
above.

  #17  
Old June 8th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jim[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Detective Book Club oddity

On May 30, 9:26 pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

I mentioned Walter Black a couple of months ago with respect to an Erle Stanley
Gardner work, "The Case of the Singing Skirt". There is a dust jacket from
Morrow (Gardner's usual publisher) on it, but the book says Walter Black. The
copyright page says "published by special arrangement with William Morrow & Co."
But when I to an AddALL search for the book, I only get one Walter Black copy,
no Morrow copies. Strange. The Morrow dust jacket contains a $2.95 price, by
the way.


Almost all the Gardner titles went right into a Detective Book Club
volume (according to the Dorothy Hughes bio), and were reprinted by
Black later in various forms, eventually becoming the uniform edition
known as the Gardner Mystery Library.

  #18  
Old July 22nd 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jim[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Detective Book Club oddity

On May 30, 9:11 pm, "John R. Yamamoto-Wilson"
wrote:

How do/did Walter Black distribute? This series is a "book club", so I'm
guessing it would be a subscription thing, right? If so, then these
leatherette and/or limited editions might have been special offers to
members, or inducements to become a member. They might have chosen their
most popular title(s) for this treatment, hence the OP's "vintage" volume in
a series of "current" mystery stories.


I've seen the leatherettes of various titles around, but never a
*numbered* limited edition...

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA: May 1947 Inside Detective Crime Women Dell 10 Cents Mag / July 1955 Special Detective cases PULP Crime Women / May 1949 Real Romances " I Was A Man Chaser " DinoPro General 0 June 24th 06 12:41 AM
FA: July 1955 Special Detective cases PULP Crime Women / Dec 1953 Police Detective Vol 7 # 6 PULP Crime Women DinoPro General 0 June 16th 06 08:34 PM
FA: July 1955 Special Detective cases PULP Crime Women / Dec 1953 Police Detective Vol 7 # 6 PULP Crime Women DinoPro General 0 June 8th 06 11:24 AM
Oddity Dime Diane Whatever Coins 2 November 20th 04 12:44 AM
Red Book and Anthony Dollar oddity? M. Scott Reynolds Coins 15 August 26th 04 05:05 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 CollectingBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.