Seeburg STD4 mardi gras blown fuse on MECH

Old February 1st 07, 05:15 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
john.meier

Default Seeburg STD4 mardi gras blown fuse on MECH

Howdy-

Just fix a "reset and reselect" problem on my STD4 mardi gras (-13 VDC
was bad), and on the first run I made a selection, it scanned, picked
up the correct record, played it and about 1/2 through the song, I hit
the reject switch on the back of the juke to make it stop, replace
record and go on to the next selection.

Well, the reject switch seemed to stick a little, but it stopped
playing, replaced the record and then just sat there spinning. It
would not scan. Power down/up didn't help, and teh Mech start/stop
switches just start and stop the mech from spinning - it will not scan
or move from the location of the last record played.

I double checked the DCC all volts look good. I checked the mech from
behind the juke and tested a fuse (soldered inline) I saw on the mech
terminal block - it was blown.

Would this fuse cause the mech not to scan if it's blown? What would
blown this fuse (I'm hoping the sticky reject switch was the
culprit..)? Anyone know what I should use for a replacement?

thanks
john

Old February 1st 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 2007-01-31 21:15:48 -0800, "john.meier" said:

Howdy-

[...]

Sounds like a sticky clutch tower to me. Could also be a gummed up
cancel solenoid plunger. Have you lubricated the machine and gone over
the adjustments in the order as recommended in the service manual?

The fuse blowing should have nothing to do with the cancel switch being
sticky - we test machines by shorting out the cancel switch after
selecting all the records to test the mechanical operation. No harm
caused.

That fuse is to protect the Tormat as I recall. Would help if I opened
the manual of course - but busy right now. Check for shorts downstream
from the fuse...

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call

Old February 1st 07, 10:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
john.meier

On 2007-01-31 21:15:48 -0800, "john.meier" said:

[...]

I have been searching for a service manual - found a couple of places
selling them, but can't swing the $70 - $90 right now. I do have a
photo copy of the mech and it's lube points and call out descriptions
of the various parts. I'll start with that and try tracing downstream
from the fuse - Thanks!

Old February 2nd 07, 03:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miller

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 19:49:00 GMT, John Robertson

On 2007-01-31 21:15:48 -0800, "john.meier" said:

Howdy-

[...]

The fuse is for the pop meter solenoid, and has nothing to do with
your problem. I beileve John is right above with his clutch tower or
solenoid plunger statement.

Cheers,

Tony Miller
John :-#)#

Old February 2nd 07, 03:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

I have also learned ...in these models they used a relay in the
amplifier ( of all places ) that trips the mech scan . If the amp quit
it can cause that .

John see your email .

Old February 3rd 07, 07:32 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
john.meier

On Feb 2, 9:43 am, (Ken G.) wrote:
I have also learned ...in these models they used a relay in the
amplifier ( of all places ) that trips the mech scan . If the amp quit
it can cause that .

John see your email .

Thanks all for the tips everyone - I lubed it up and it's running
now. I located some manuals for this model, and when I get them I'll
run through everything "by the book".

only 2 problems left - any valid selection with the number "0" in it,
gets a "reset and reselect" - currently investigating the keypad and
data path "D" (per Tony's book). And my light sequencer stop flashing
the lights all of a sudden. I think I'll be able to track these two
problems down once I ahve the proper docs!

Thanks again everyone!

john