Hey, Error Guys!

Old December 9th 03, 12:32 AM
Byron L. Reed

Default Hey, Error Guys!

A real split planchet?

It looks to me like it was intact until somebody whacked the obverse.

http://tinyurl.com/yc1h

BLReed

To email me click he http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old December 9th 03, 02:57 AM
Mike Diamond

Subject: Hey, Error Guys!
From: Byron L. Reed
A real split planchet?

It looks to me like it was intact until somebody whacked the obverse.

http://tinyurl.com/yc1h

It may well be a real, split-after-strike planchet error. It could also be a
clamshell split that somebody pried off. I don't see any of the typical
striations of such an error, but it is heavily worn.

Host: Error Coin Information Exchange (Yahoo:Groups); CONECA #2969.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a
member of..
Old December 9th 03, 04:36 AM
J. Craton

From: Byron L. Reed
A real split planchet?

It looks to me like it was intact until somebody whacked the obverse.

http://tinyurl.com/yc1h

It may well be a real, split-after-strike planchet error. It could also be a
clamshell split that somebody pried off. I don't see any of the typical
striations of such an error, but it is heavily worn.

Clamshell is exactly what I was thinking when I saw it Mike.

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------

Nick is a DICK!

Old December 10th 03, 05:19 AM
Ed. Stoebenau

From: Byron L. Reed

It looks to me like it was intact until somebody whacked the obverse.

http://tinyurl.com/yc1h

It may well be a real, split-after-strike planchet error. It could also be a
clamshell split that somebody pried off. I don't see any of the typical
striations of such an error, but it is heavily worn.

I'm leaning towards a pried off clamshell lamination myself. The
wear pattern suggests the prying off occurred a long time ago
while the coin was still circulation, especially since the
laminated part shows obvious wear, and the most wear is at the
ridge where it was pried off, which, since I expect would still
have the lamination going on, would be a ridge of highest point
of the coin. It even looks like (and Byron you'd need to tell us
what this is actually like three-dimensionally wise) that there
is still some separation of layers near the denomination.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143
Old December 10th 03, 08:40 PM
Byron L. Reed

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:19:48 -0600, Ed. Stoebenau
wrote:

It even looks like (and Byron you'd need to tell us
what this is actually like three-dimensionally wise) that there
is still some separation of layers near the denomination.

Yes, that's the case. I suspect that is was a clamshell, as you and others
suggest. The scarp in very rough, like it was pulled apart rather than
machined. There is a large dent on the oversee, opposite the thin area of
the coin. I can't tell for sure how old the damage is and whether in was a
cause of the separation or the indirect result thereof.