the market in second-hand e-books

Old February 25th 10, 06:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
weary flake

Default the market in second-hand e-books

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

A bit early for a consensus on "collectibility" of e-books to have
merged, but are there any surveys of what the market in them might
look like?

How do you mean? e-books like e-music is intended to be used once
and then thrown away. Are you talking about keeping and illegally
selling e-books that the publisher declares to be "out-of-print"?
Old February 27th 10, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Scurvy Dog

"scotkamins" wrote in message
What's to prevent me from selling my copy?

What's to prevent me from duplicating my copy n times, and selling each
copy?

Your respect for intellectual property rights?
OTOH I don't see why you couldn't sell your copy, if you actually transferred
ownership of it and somehow didn't retain a copy.
After all, as we all know, there is an active market in used hardcopy books, so
why not ebooks?

Old February 27th 10, 02:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
weary flake

"Scurvy Dog" wrote:

"scotkamins" wrote in message
What's to prevent me from selling my copy?

What's to prevent me from duplicating my copy n times, and selling each
copy?

Your respect for intellectual property rights?
OTOH I don't see why you couldn't sell your copy, if you actually transferred
ownership of it and somehow didn't retain a copy.
After all, as we all know, there is an active market in used hardcopy books,
so
why not ebooks?

Who are you two questioning? There is no secondary market in ebooks,
it is illegal. If a man dies with an ebook collection, the ebooks are
legally required to die along with the man. If a "publisher" decides no
longer to issue an ebook, the information in the ebook is supposed to
disappear: permanently. So I am opposed to the concept of ebooks. The
"paperless society" is a foul ideology, and the pricing of ebooks
is a rip-off, considering the price is not discounted enough by the
fact that there is no market value for a "pre-owned" ebook and "owning"
an ebook is explicitly ephemeral.

In the future the law may change, but for now, be forewarned.
Old February 27th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Scurvy Dog

"weary flake" wrote in message
"Scurvy Dog" wrote:

[...]

Frankly, I don't think you have a clue as to what you are blowing off about.

Old February 28th 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
scotkamins

In article ,
"Scurvy Dog" wrote:

"scotkamins" wrote in message
What's to prevent me from selling my copy?

What's to prevent me from duplicating my copy n times, and selling each
copy?

Your respect for intellectual property rights?

PAH! I'm not buying a license to read the ebook; I'm buying the
electronic copy. Since I bought it, I can do whatever I want with it.

No, I wouldn't make multiple copies and sell those our of respect to the
author who would be screwed out of royalties (things most major
publishers are adept at, given my own experience), but I'd certainly
have no problem selling my one copy. I'd like to think I'd delete the
original once I sold the copy, but I could fall into a moral trap and
keep it, despicable as that might be.
Old February 28th 10, 04:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
scotkamins

In article ,
weary flake wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote:

Who are you two questioning? There is no secondary market in ebooks,
it is illegal. If a man dies with an ebook collection, the ebooks are
legally required to die along with the man. If a "publisher" decides no
longer to issue an ebook, the information in the ebook is supposed to
disappear: permanently.

Where are you getting this stuff? If a man dies with an ebook
collection, the ebooks are legally required to die along with the man?
WHAT?

Preposterous -- not to mention absolutely unenforceable.

In the future the law may change, but for now, be forewarned.

Against what -- the Fahrenheit 451'ers degaussing my house with a giant
electromagnet?
Old February 28th 10, 05:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Scurvy Dog

weary flake wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote:

Who are you two questioning? There is no secondary market in ebooks,
it is illegal. If a man dies with an ebook collection, the ebooks are
legally required to die along with the man. If a "publisher" decides no
longer to issue an ebook, the information in the ebook is supposed to
disappear: permanently.

Where are you getting this stuff? If a man dies with an ebook
collection, the ebooks are legally required to die along with the man?
WHAT?

Preposterous -- not to mention absolutely unenforceable.

In the future the law may change, but for now, be forewarned.

Against what -- the Fahrenheit 451'ers degaussing my house with a giant
electromagnet?

You have erroneously attributed weary flake's musings to me in your last post.

Old February 28th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
scotkamins

In article ,
"Scurvy Dog" wrote:

You have erroneously attributed weary flake's musings to me in your last
post.

Egad -- so I have!

I regret the error. Please forgive me.

Old March 1st 10, 04:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Scurvy Dog

"Scurvy Dog" wrote:

You have erroneously attributed weary flake's musings to me in your last
post.

Egad -- so I have!

I regret the error. Please forgive me.

You are hereby sentenced to reading a Barbara Cartland novel every day for a
month.