Machine stamp questions

Old February 10th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

Default Machine stamp questions

Anyone in this group collect or know anything about
old machine stamps?

The kind I am refering to are printed with one color ink on
a envelope. Are these machine stamps or do I have the
wrong term?

Some I have seen just have a round or square box with
the postage amount printed, some with date, and have
the state and county.

If there is a web site or somewhere I can find more info
on these, I'd appreciate the info.

Barry

Old February 10th 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Barry,
can you supply an image please?

We need to ascertain if it be a "slogan postmark" or a "franking machine" impression.
aussie example
http://cjoint.com/data/clbrAIArLn.htm
Rgds
rodney

Old February 11th 10, 03:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

The first is a permit franking
when I asked some time ago for an explanation
I was given a link to the pnc3.org site for precancels
I am unable to open their site at the moment

The second one is a Pitney Bowes franking machine impression.

"phantomm_1"
Sure..
here is a couple of em...
http://cjoint.com/?clfqy365Ju
http://cjoint.com/?clfr4qvaDq

Old February 11th 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Barry,
I'll post more when it comes to hand, or US collectors may wish to chip in.

Value is a loose mistress, Barry.
In the fiscal sense any stamp under 10 bucks catalogue is worthless,
but a worthless stamp, say a "theft prevention" issue from India
and I am a drooling mess.

As your collection grows and you fill a space with a 1c stamp, its magic.

Leave the value up to the Scroogy dealers,
that is not to say, be vigilant for the out of place, it can finance
more of your collection.

To a Pitney Bowes franking collector, your issue may be gold,
he can trace the number on the frank to the private owner of the machine.
Otherwise 1c each in the bottom of the phossick box.

A trick also, to boost your sales, is to collect, and when you have several sheets
put 'em up for auction, you will be surprised.
Collectors love collections and information.
Registration labels are about 5c each, put up 3 or 4 pages and you may
get $35, depends who is in the room.
Caveat: this just my 2c

"phantomm_1"
Not sure what that means...
I got them with some other stamps years ago.
Just kept em, worth anything other than for info?

Barry

Old February 11th 10, 04:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

Sure..

here is a couple of em...

http://cjoint.com/?clfqy365Ju

http://cjoint.com/?clfr4qvaDq

Old February 11th 10, 08:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in message ...
Barry,
I'll post more when it comes to hand, or US collectors may wish to chip in.

"Mailers Postmark permits"
http://www.qsl.net/kg0yh/welcomepostmasters.htm

read what is attached to the first image down
HTH

Old February 11th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

Rodney,

In the 2 examples I posted, there are no date and time.
Are these not suppose to have date and time?

When I first got them, one of the things that stood out to me
was that there is no date, time and year on them.

I have some very similar and some different
that have the date, time, and year.
Some are from the 1930's.

If there is something like this or other that someone would
like to see, etc. just let me know.

Old February 11th 10, 10:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"phantomm_1"
Rodney,
In the 2 examples I posted, there are no date and time.
Are these not suppose to have date and time?

Not the pre printed permits, used for bulk
http://cjoint.com/data/cmaiTeIIHN.htm

but the Pitney Bowes, you are quite right, and frankly I have no idea,
(now I am interested

This is why Newsgroups exist, we all learn

I'll snitch your scan and go looking on the web.
good observation.
rodney