Rockwell Hardness Test

Old December 7th 03, 03:07 PM
Fred

Default Rockwell Hardness Test

Anyone here know anything about this test? There is a Jefferson Nickel that
dates 1946- D that has this test done to it. The following is all I know
about it.

ALAN HERBERT IN HIS MONUMENTAL WORK "PRICE GUIDE TO MINT ERRORS" PUBLISHED
IN 2002 DESCRIBES A HARDNESS-TEST-MARKED PLANCHET AS "A PLANCHET WITH A
SMALL ROUND CIRCULAR IMPRESSION OR INDENTATION RESULTING FROM THE PRESSING
OF A SMALL ROUND TEST PROBE INTO THE METAL TO TEST THE HARDNESS OF THE
PLANCHET."

HERBERT GOES ON TO GIVE THIS TEST A RARITY LEVEL OF "UNKNOWN" -- UP UNTIL
2002 (DATE OF PUBLICATION) NO CONFIRMED REPORT HAD BEEN VERIFIED. BUT THIS
5 CENT PIECE IS DATED 1946 LENDING CREDENCE THAT THIS TEST HAS BEEN USED FOR
OVER 50 YEARS AND IS A UNIQUE ERROR/VARIETY!

Anyone else know anything about this test?

Thanks, Fred

Old December 7th 03, 04:02 PM
Cameoproof

Anyone here know anything about this test? There is a Jefferson Nickel that
dates 1946- D that has this test done to it. The following is all I know
about it.

ALAN HERBERT IN HIS MONUMENTAL WORK "PRICE GUIDE TO MINT ERRORS" PUBLISHED
IN 2002 DESCRIBES A HARDNESS-TEST-MARKED PLANCHET AS "A PLANCHET WITH A
SMALL ROUND CIRCULAR IMPRESSION OR INDENTATION RESULTING FROM THE PRESSING
OF A SMALL ROUND TEST PROBE INTO THE METAL TO TEST THE HARDNESS OF THE
PLANCHET."

HERBERT GOES ON TO GIVE THIS TEST A RARITY LEVEL OF "UNKNOWN" -- UP UNTIL
2002 (DATE OF PUBLICATION) NO CONFIRMED REPORT HAD BEEN VERIFIED. BUT THIS
5 CENT PIECE IS DATED 1946 LENDING CREDENCE THAT THIS TEST HAS BEEN USED FOR
OVER 50 YEARS AND IS A UNIQUE ERROR/VARIETY!

Anyone else know anything about this test?

Thanks, Fred

It's a method of testing hardness that has been around since the 20's.
It's a diamond tipped tool with a 120 deg. cone and a .008" radius on the tip.
The machine measures how deep the tip goes into the metal under a set weight.
That is why it leaves a small round indentation into the metal being tested.

Bill
Old December 7th 03, 05:02 PM
David Hamilton

Anyone else know anything about this test?

Thanks, Fred

http://www.mee-inc.com/rockhar.html

To greatly simplify the rockwell test, you hit the material with a
calibrated punch. You then determine the hardness of the material by
how deep the punch went.
Old December 7th 03, 07:19 PM
Dnakornreich

hey - check out the following scan of a 1932 eagle I have - I always wondered
what the circular indentation at 3:00 was - any chance this is the result of a
hardness test (BTW, I always thought that most hardness tests used a
diamond-shaped punch)?

http://members.aol.com/dnakornreich/1932eagleo.jpg

FYI, sent this in to ANACS - came back net AU58 for cleaning - no mention of
the mark at 3:00.
-drew
Old December 7th 03, 07:32 PM
Terry S

"David Hamilton" wrote in message

Anyone else know anything about this test?

Thanks, Fred

http://www.mee-inc.com/rockhar.html

To greatly simplify the rockwell test, you hit the material with a
calibrated punch. You then determine the hardness of the material by
how deep the punch went.

Should not the hit be calibrated also ? All of the hard parts of US military
firearms have a ding on them. Each one is tested separately, every time.

Old December 7th 03, 08:28 PM
Chris S

Rockwell tests are among the most common methods of determining
hardness of metals. They are popular among engineers and metallurgists
because hardness is cheap and easy to test, yet affords good insight
into harder-to-test properties, like chemical resistance, tensile
strength, etc.

Presumably the Mint and/or its suppliers test some (very small)
fraction of planchets as part of their quality control procedures. If
the test is performed before the coin is struck, I would expect the
"dimple" to be altered in the minting process, perhaps the point of
obscurity (less-so with today's low-relief coins). If it's done
afterwards, an expert could probably easily recognize such a mark, but
I don't know how you'd tell the difference between a Mint-originated
dimple and one created by anyone else with access to a Rockwell tester
(and there are lots of us).

I can understand why the rarity of such pieces would be unknown.

--Chris S

Old December 8th 03, 05:07 AM
A.Gent

"Dnakornreich" wrote in message
hey - check out the following scan of a 1932 eagle I have - I always

wondered
what the circular indentation at 3:00 was - any chance this is the result

of a
hardness test (BTW, I always thought that most hardness tests used a
diamond-shaped punch)?

http://members.aol.com/dnakornreich/1932eagleo.jpg

FYI, sent this in to ANACS - came back net AU58 for cleaning - no mention

of
the mark at 3:00.
-drew

I've done hundreds of Rockwell hardness tests on ferrous and non-ferrous
metal samples, and that dint looks about right. It is hemi-spherical, isn't
it? Gold would be tested with a ball tester, not a point.

Looks like its copped a fair bit of circulation since the test.

Hehehe. Rockwell testing dents - the chopmarks of the modern era.