Kennedy Halves

Old May 25th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

Default Kennedy Halves

I've just started accumulating a set of Kennedy halves from circulation
finds. Most have been in the 1971-2000 range. But I have a 2001-P and
2001-D in AU. The Red Book footnotes 2001-P, and except for 2005, 2002 P+D
through 2007 P+D as "Not issued for circulation." That seems odd given that
the 2001-P run was 21.2 million, one of the largest mintages of this design.
In the other years the P and D mintages were under 3 million each.

The 2001-P and D differ in their surfaces. The D has a uniform lightly
bluish white cast. The P has blotches of light salmon sheen intermixed with
the blue-white areas, to the extent that when viewed without a magnifier,
the overall color is slightly salmon and is distinctly different when held
next to the D. The D has the typical mirror finish while the P is a muted,
matte finish.

1. Does that mean that I'm not likely to find these dates in circulation
culls?

2. What was the deal with "not issued for circulation"? What happened to
them? Were they only sold in mint sets?

3. What was the deal with the 2001-P? I'm sure they didn't sell 21.2
million mint sets.

4. Were any 2001-P struck on planchets different from the "normal" type as
seen in the 2001-D? The light salmon coloration may just be a random
variation in toning, but would that also explain the matte finish?

Old May 25th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Donald Weber

Starting in 2002 the mint stop issuing the half's for circulation but did,
and still does sell bags and rolls of them at a premium. The 2001 WAS issued
for circulation but how many actually made it there and how many languish in
bags in bank faults is anybodies guess. As to finding them in circulation.
Anything is possible. I've read right here in "found in circulation" posts
that proofs have been found.

Don Weber

Old May 25th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Donald Weber" wrote in message
news
Starting in 2002 the mint stop issuing the half's for circulation
but did, and still does sell bags and rolls of them at a premium.
The 2001 WAS issued for circulation but how many actually made it
there and how many languish in bags in bank faults is anybodies
guess. As to finding them in circulation. Anything is possible. I've
read right here in "found in circulation" posts that proofs have
been found.

Don Weber

Now that you mention it I remember the bag sales. I didn't know that
it covered all those years.

The "found in circulation" items here and in Coin World are what makes
me wonder about the 2000-P planchet and finish. I'm hoping that
someone here with extensive knowledge of the Kennedy issues can fill
in some blanks for me or point me to an authoritative source.

Old May 26th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On May 25, 1:10*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
[...]

You are not likely to find post 2001 Kennedy halves in roll searches.
If you do find any they're almost guaranteed to be the lower grade
ones that someone spent after they had opened and cherry picked the
high grade coins from the mint rolls--and they'll be AU's from being
tossed around in a loosely packed roll. Kennedy halves turn to AU
really easy. You can buy BU Kennedy halves for around 3 to 5 dollars
for most issues--a very affordable set to put together and it saves
you lots of time just purchasing them--and they'll look better--won't
be AU's which will always be worth $.50 *for as long as you can think
about* except for the silver issues and will be prone to
discolorization and spotting due to being in circulation.
I nice gem (MS65+) set of Kennedy halves is the way to go and your
chances of putting one together doing bank roll searches is very slim.
Not to say you can't find a few gems--just difficult.
But it is fun to search--you may find a doubled die or an error on top
of the silver ones. ;-)

2. *What was the deal with "not issued for circulation"? *What happened to
them? *Were they only sold in mint sets?

The mint set coins are struck under higher pressure and struck more
than once--but--most mint set Kennedy halves tend to be loaded with
deep hits on the cheek and shield. And a lot of chatter in the fields--
mint rolls are better for finding the gems. For 2001 they minted
1,116,915 sets and the Kennedy half total production figures include
those.

3. *What was the deal with the 2001-P? *I'm sure they didn't sell 21.2
million mint sets.

Yes they did sell them out! lol! They sold most of those in rolls
directly from the Mint. I seem to recall back then that about 10
million or so were sent out into circulation and the rest were sold at
the mint--and it took forever for them to sell all those too. I think
it was around 2006 or 7 when they finally sold out. And I think it was
that a lot of those were sent back from the Fed to the mint that were
intended for cirulation--nobody wanted those. So the actual number
that was released out into circulation is an unknown AFAIK.

4. *Were any 2001-P struck on planchets different from the "normal" type as
seen in the 2001-D? *The light salmon coloration may just be a random
variation in toning, but would that also explain the matte finish?

The Mint buys the stock from different places--so yes--there can be
some variations in the materials--very slight. No two sets of dies
wear the same too--so you'll notice differences.
2001 is hard to find higher grade coins with a lot of luster.
Old May 26th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On May 25, 3:23*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
[...]

A satin appearance typically comes from a coin struck on a newer die.
Check the strike characteristics on the satin coin compared to some
others and I'll wager the devices are much sharper on the satin-
looking coin.
Old May 26th 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

wrote in message
On May 25, 1:10 pm, "mazorj" wrote:
[...]

I did get a 1982-P where all the lettering on the right side of the reverse
has faint but distinct doubling clearly visible under a glass. It's
probably a double strike in the die rather than a true doubled die but I'll
have to send it to an attributor for an expert verdict.

[...]

Thanks, that was helpful.

Old May 26th 09, 06:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

wrote in message
On May 25, 3:23 pm, "mazorj" wrote:
[...]

I got a 2001-P and D in the same buy in about the same condition. The
difference in the surfaces -matte versus mirror - is fairly obvious to the
naked eye. The P is duller to the eye but under magnification shows no wear
even on the high points. The devices in the P are more sharply struck than
in the D but only under moderate magnification, so I would say "moderately"
rather than "much" sharper.

I knew about the effect of "die wear smoothing" from an initial matte finish
to smoother fields on older coins but I haven't really noticed that in
modern issues, which all seem to purposely have a mirror surface finish in
the fields. Maybe it is just a fresh die set and not an errant planchet
type, but I may have an expert look this one over, too. There's just
something about it that "don't look quite right."

I hear you on buying better specimens, I'm just having a little fun bugging
bank cashiers for halves, filling a folder for my grandson, and then
watching clerks' reactions when I spend the culls.

Old May 27th 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On May 26, 1:23*am, "mazorj" wrote:
wrote in message

On May 25, 3:23 pm, "mazorj" wrote:

[...]

watching clerks' reactions when I spend the culls.- Hide quoted text -

You just have to look and look and look for those that have that blast
white satin finish--they're availiable--just scarce. Those are
typically the higher grade coins. You can see them stand out from
across the room. I've got a lot of dimes like that and a few newer
nickles too. And come to think of it I got some cents too. The halves
are there with that look to them for newer years but really tough to
get from around before the late 80's.
It's not too difficult to fill up a folder up to before 2000. That's a
lot of fun--I basically got burned out on it though. lol