Overstruck coin

Old February 5th 05, 08:49 PM
Dale Hallmark

Default Overstruck coin

I have a 1951 Austrian 5 Groschen that appears to have been struck
over a 1940 5- Reichspfennig (A Mint). (both coins were the same material
and same size)

http://austriancoins.com/Auction/overstrike.jpg

I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been a "B" mintmark
coin.

Anyone have any comments?

Dale Hallmark
ANA 200710
WINS 471
My website:
http://www.austriancoins.com/index.html

Old February 6th 05, 02:10 AM

Neat find, and I certainly agree with your attribution. Does anybody
have another Austrian strike to see if perhaps more of them were
overstrikes?
Tom DeLorey

Old February 6th 05, 03:41 AM
Dale Hallmark

wrote in message
ups.com...
Neat find, and I certainly agree with your attribution. Does anybody
have another Austrian strike to see if perhaps more of them were
overstrikes?
Tom DeLorey

I know of two others at this time, a 1948 and a 1950
Austrian Five Groschen over a Five Riechspfennig.

Dale

Old February 6th 05, 04:00 AM
James Higby

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Neat find, and I certainly agree with your attribution. Does anybody
have another Austrian strike to see if perhaps more of them were
overstrikes?
Tom DeLorey

I know of two others at this time, a 1948 and a 1950
Austrian Five Groschen over a Five Riechspfennig.

Dale

Got pix?

James

Old February 6th 05, 05:21 AM
mikediamond

In addition to the 1948 and 1950 overstrikes (which reside in my
collection), Error-Variety News provided brief coverage of these
overstrikes in an issue back in the late 1970's or early 1980's. I
think Alan Herbert was the author. I suspect these were intentional,
authorized overstrikes, but have no direct proof of this. There may be
more out there than is realized. The design of the host coin is nearly
obliterated in the specimens I have, and oxidation and corrosion of
these zinc coins probably wiped out the host design in many others. --
Mike Diamond

Old February 6th 05, 05:34 PM
A.E. Gelat

Why were the Nazi coins overstruck, rather than melted for the new coins.
Any quantities?

Tony

ups.com...

Old February 6th 05, 08:36 PM
mikediamond

Since the Nazi 5 pfennig is the same size and composition as the
Austrian 5 groschen, it is undoubtedly easier simply to strike over the
older coin.

As I haven't seen many of these Austrian overstrikes, I suspect
quantities are relatively small. However, I don't know that for sure.

Old February 6th 05, 09:56 PM
Dale Hallmark

A.E. Gelat wrote:
Why were the Nazi coins overstruck, rather than melted for the new

coins.
Any quantities?

Tony

"mikediamond" wrote in message
oups.com...
Since the Nazi 5 pfennig is the same size and composition as the
Austrian 5 groschen, it is undoubtedly easier simply to strike over the
older coin.

As I haven't seen many of these Austrian overstrikes, I suspect
quantities are relatively small. However, I don't know that for sure.

I have collected Austrian coins for only between two and three years. I
monitor
all auction on eBay listed under the Austria catagory or that have Austria*
in the
text of the auction. I have examined very many Austrian coins in person too
and never noticed
an overstrike before or saw one on eBay or even heard of one. I am sure
they exist for
more than this one denomination however.

With that being said, I wouldn't expect these to be Extremely Rare ( as in
just a couple exist) but also don't expect that is was done
as an official policy either. I think Mike's belief that "quantities are
relatively small" is probably the truth of the matter.

Dale
my site
http://www.austriancoins.com