South Africa Bi-lingual pair question

Old March 13th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default South Africa Bi-lingual pair question

Hello Fellows,
I was cleaning up on some long forgotten stamps and ran across this
item. It is South Africa Scott # 28. For those who don't use Scott,
it is the 1927-28 engraved issue of the 4p "Native Kraal" as it is
listed. What is curious about this particular pair is the straight
line cutting the top right corner of the bottom stamp and extending
all the way through the top stamp almost to the left perf edge. The
line is perfectly straight and inked in the same color as the stamp.
It is most apparent (visable) as pictured in the the link below.
Question, is anyone familiar with this type of "error" or have any
idea how it happened? Is it a constant position variety or a freak.
Could be a cracked plate, or something stuck to the plate, but then it
seems strange to have it inked that way. Any ideas? Thanks!
Wolf-==-

http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/SAline.jpg
Old March 13th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mar 13, 5:46*pm, " w-
wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I forgot to say that there is nothing that can be seen from the
back to indicate some sort of scratch on the stamp or damage. Nor is
there any indentation on the front of the stamp indicating a scratch.
That was my first thought, but notta.
WB
Old March 14th 10, 02:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 13, 6:50*pm, " w-
wrote:
On Mar 13, 5:46*pm, " w-

wrote:
[...]

The mark appears to span the two stamps.
Could this mean that it occurred at printing time?
Blair
Old March 14th 10, 08:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

The mark appears to span the two stamps.
Could this mean that it occurred at printing time?
Blair

That was my thought, too. A doctor blade flaw?

Tony

Old March 14th 10, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 14, 4:27*am, Asia-translation
wrote:
*The mark appears to span the two stamps.

Could this mean that it occurred at printing time?
Blair

That was my thought, too. *A doctor blade flaw?

Tony

A Doctor Blade flaw is precisely what I was thinking.

Doctor Blade
A flexible steel blade which is used to removes surplus ink
from the printing cylinder on high-speed modern presses.
Faulty operation can cause flaws of a non-constant nature
on the printed stamps.

Old March 15th 10, 09:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Is it possible to get a scan of the two stamps complete?

"Rein" wrote in message news
Blair,

could have been the case of the reel-fed photogravure after 1930, but this is recess!

groetjes, Rein

--
Gemaakt met Opera's revolutionaire e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Old March 15th 10, 10:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

:

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old March 16th 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Whew!
I was suffering dejavu there for a while

Woops, sorry...
http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/SAline2.jpg
Wolf-==-

Old March 16th 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I cannot explain it,
an EFO for mine,
May I keep a copy of the scan for my records please?
Thanks
Rodney

Old March 16th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

wrote:
The mark appears to span the two stamps.

Could this mean that it occurred at printing time?
Blair

That was my thought, too. A doctor blade flaw?

Tony

A Doctor Blade flaw is precisely what I was thinking.

Doctor *Blade
A flexible steel blade which is used to removes surplus ink
from the printing cylinder on high-speed modern presses.
Faulty operation can cause flaws of a non-constant nature
on the printed stamps.

--
Gemaakt met Opera's revolutionaire e-mailprogramma: *http://www.opera..com/mail/- Hide quoted text -

Sure...