Printing Solutions for Scott International Size Paper?

Old December 11th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Knight

Default Printing Solutions for Scott International Size Paper?

The posts about Scott Air Post album pages rekindled some thinking ...

Has anyone come up with a system for printing on Scott International sized
paper?

I've discovered some gaps in my hodge-podge set of post 1973 pages. It
would be nice to be able to print up some like-sized pages, and while I know
I can get super-sized paper and have it cut to the right size (or use Scott
blank pages, which would be more expensive), these pages won't fit through
my ecomony laser printer.

Has anyone managed to print larger-sized pages, and on what kind of printer,
please?

Nick

Old December 11th 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi Nick,

Contact me off line as I may have a source for supplement pages to
complete your set of pages. Use subject of
RCSD-Scott Pages and e-mail ti jerrybemail-rcsd 'at' yahoo 'dot' com.

Jerry B

Old December 11th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Dec 10, 7:30*pm, "Nick Knight" wrote:
The posts about Scott Air Post album pages rekindled some thinking ...

Has anyone come up with a system for printing on Scott International sized
paper?

I've discovered some gaps in my hodge-podge set of post 1973 pages. *It
would be nice to be able to print up some like-sized pages, and while I know
I can get super-sized paper and have it cut to the right size (or use Scott
blank pages, which would be more expensive), these pages won't fit through
my ecomony laser printer.

Has anyone managed to print larger-sized pages, and on what kind of printer,
please?

Nick

I'm not sure if you are asking to be able to print the border of the
various Scott International formats (which I don't have) or just the
numbering, frame lay out or the like. I make up my own frame and
number layouts in MS Excel and print them out on a standard width
printer on Scott blank pages. The trick to get them to go through
your printer is to fold them longwise. Here is how I do it. Take a
regular piece of printer paper (8-1/2 X 11) and line it up on the edge
of the Scott page opposite the holes and lightly mark the side nearest
the holes with a pencil (4-5 marks along that edge). Now, lightly
fold the Scott page along those marks taking care to to break the
paper fibers. To do this, do not put a sharp crease in the Scott
page. It might take a couple of trials to get the feel of how your
printer will handle the folded page, It is best to have a printer
that has a direct paper feed path. Once the printing is done, unfold
the Scott page and no one will be the wiser (even the paper) as the
crease will relax over time and you won't be able to tell it was ever
done. I have used this technique dozens of times and except for the
occasional printer misfeed, it works quite well, YMMV
Wolf-==-
Old December 12th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Knight

In , on
12/11/2008
at 09:25 AM, " said:

[...]

Excellent! This was the kind of idea I was looking to find. I'm willing to
try printing on Scott blank pages ... or fully blank pages providing
something of my own border. Either way, the trick I couldn't see getting
past was using an average printer. I'd also like to see if there are such
things as wide-carriage ink-jets or better, lasers available at a
"reasonable" cost.

The folding idea might work ... probably not through my laser, but I'll try
it. But I do have a rarely-used HP inkjet here, too.

Thanks again! I'll try this soon and report back as to how it works for me.

Nick

Old December 13th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
stampwolf

On Dec 11, 8:24*pm, "Nick Knight" wrote:
In , on
12/11/2008
* *at 09:25 AM, " said:

[...]

A couple things I forgot to mention. You need to make sure where you
are printing. You don't want to make it all to the right or left side
of the plank page. Some trial sheets here will help. The other thing
you need to keep in mind is what side do you want to make the fold
on. It makes a difference as to how it all comes out. The pinch
rollers on your printer will determine this. What ever work best. I
don't suspect that a laser printer will slow you down. I have done
several on a high end laser and they work just fine. Below are a
couple examples of what mine look like. Good luck!!! Wolf-==-

http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/IMG_4496.JPG
http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/IMG_4497.JPG
Old December 13th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Knight

In , on 12/13/2008
at 08:26 AM, Sir F. A. Rien said:

past was using an average printer. *I'd also like to see if there are such
things as wide-carriage ink-jets or better, lasers available at a
"reasonable" cost.

HP makes some 11 x 17 printers, B&W laser. You can buy year old REFURBISHED
models at under $500.

Thanks for the pointer. Interesting, I had done some googling for 11x17
inch-capable printers awhile back and got back a super long list of
possibilities. Browsing through them, none of them were actually capable of
this size! Too many hits to filter through.

Adding "HP Laser" as keyword, suddenly I have results (specifically the HP
5000 and variants). This would work great! In addition, I see now that I
can narrow the original list of "all" printers and find many color inkjets
that can print 11" widths and variable lengths (Brother MFC-6490cw). I
guess I just needed to ask the question and get a response that made be
think about the keywords to use! Well, there was your response. I've always
preferred using laser printers, spending bucks on them when they weren't so
cheap and when my money was much tighter. I love my tiny Samsung laser
(~$60), but big paper won't fit. Now my dilema is whether to go for a B&W
laser which would do all the pages I could want, or a wide inkjet that could
also do photos. I'll have to study various reviews and make a selection.
I'll still also try the folding technique described previously with my
existing printers.

I print Lighthouse sized pages and use 100# archival stock - handles well.

Well, if I can print complete pages, including borders, learning more about
paper will be required. Your choice sounds pretty thick, looking at my box
of normal copy paper at 20#. I could imagine a couple of thicknesses being
useful, with a additional idea of housing some specialized cover collections
is home-printed albums.

I can figure paper out later, or just shop for your suggestion. Right now
the more pressing issue is ink vs. toner ... anyone have knowledge of which
is better for long-term storage with stamps mixed in on the same pages?

Thanks in advance,

Nick