A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Juke Boxes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Rock-ola model 440 blows fuse on selection

Old May 17th 13, 05:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Rock-ola model 440 blows fuse on selection

It will play just fine for an hour or so and then blow the 1 amp fuse that is labeled 1 amp 28 volt dc "Sel"; which I assume means selection. When the fuse blows the arm that is supposed to stop and trigger the selection just keeps going around and around. I can manually trigger a selection and the second arm does its thing and the selection will play.

Now the person I bought it from had a 1 amp 250 volt fuse in it, and he gave me extras for it. And that is what I have been replacing it with for now..

Trying to figure out why it blows the fuse after about an hour of play and trying to locate the correct fuse; which I cannot find anywhere on the web. Any help from the veteran juke box wizards would be appreciated!
Ads
Old November 21st 13, 02:00 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
It will play just fine for an hour or so and then blow the 1 amp fuse that is labeled 1 amp 28 volt dc "Sel"; which I assume means selection. When the fuse blows the arm that is supposed to stop and trigger the selection just keeps going around and around. I can manually trigger a selection and the second arm does its thing and the selection will play.

Now the person I bought it from had a 1 amp 250 volt fuse in it, and he gave me extras for it. And that is what I have been replacing it with for now..

Trying to figure out why it blows the fuse after about an hour of play and trying to locate the correct fuse; which I cannot find anywhere on the web. Any help from the veteran juke box wizards would be appreciated!
I have a Rockola 442, which from your description sounds similar in construction. When you blow the selector fuse it prevents the stop relay (center and right on unit mounted on back wall of juke) from energizing, so the selector wheel will indeed just keep going around. Your problem (if you still have one, I see this was posted a while back) may be that you are trying to use a regular 1 amp fuse there. I just lifted the cover on mine and saw that it has a slow-blow fuse at that point. (Can be identified by looking through glass, regular fuse is just a straight wire inside, slow-blow has spiraled wire inside). If what you are using is working, that is fine, but be careful. A dead short (which it looks like you don't have) would blow a 28-volt fuse, but it sure wouldn't blow a 250-volt one.....sort of like the old "putting a penny in the fuse box thing.