Store pens horizontally or vertically?

Old November 5th 04, 11:43 PM
nick

Default Store pens horizontally or vertically?

Should I store filled pens horizontally or vertically? How do you guys
store your fouuntain pens? I read somewhere that if a pen is laid down
horizontally it could leak. Is this a problem that anyone has noticed?
Also, what type of case do you guys keep your pens in?

Thanks.
Old November 6th 04, 12:00 AM
KCat

"nick" wrote in message
m...
Should I store filled pens horizontally or vertically? How do you guys
store your fouuntain pens? I read somewhere that if a pen is laid down
horizontally it could leak. Is this a problem that anyone has noticed?
Also, what type of case do you guys keep your pens in?

Thanks.

It could. But it shouldn't. Most of mine are stored horizontally in a
wooden case. A lot of them travel around the house with me on a regular
basis and in various containers (pocket, notebook, project box) and a few
(cheapies) clang around in my purse. I've never had a pen leak when stored
in any manner. I personally don't believe there is any advantage to any
particular method when it comes to leaking. I do not use a pen cup though -
too easy to scratch a nice pen that way.

my .02 only.
---

KCat

For Pen Talk, Images, Trading and Reviews: The Fountain Pen Network
http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet

For Lupus Support and Info
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

Old November 6th 04, 01:53 AM
David

nick said:

Should I store filled pens horizontally or vertically? How do you guys
store your fouuntain pens? I read somewhere that if a pen is laid down
horizontally it could leak. Is this a problem that anyone has noticed?
Also, what type of case do you guys keep your pens in?

This warning comes from very old pens (early 1930's and earlier is my
very rough guess - I don't have any), some of which really might leak
because of the way they're designed. Those ones store vertically, nib
upwards. But for any relatively modern design, it shouldn't matter, and
if you have a pen from at least the '40s onwards that leaks just
because you left it horizontal, then it probably needs fixing.

Don't store any filled fountain pen for extended periods of time -
either use it, or rinse it out and keep it empty.

Some people have had pens leak when on an airplane, apparently due to
pressure changes. If that's a concern, the answer is (before you fly)
to either empty it completely, or else fill it absolutely full - either
way the pressure changes shouldn't cause trouble anymore.

Don't store silver items with rubber bands touching them - most rubber
bands contain some sulphur, which will tarnish the silver.

David

Old November 6th 04, 04:02 AM
BL

David wrote:
nick said:

Should I store filled pens horizontally or
vertically? How do you guys store your fouuntain
pens? I read somewhere that if a pen is laid down
horizontally it could leak. Is this a problem that
anyone has noticed? Also, what type of case do you
guys keep your pens in?

This warning comes from very old pens (early 1930's
and earlier is my very rough guess - I don't have
any), some of which really might leak because of
the way they're designed....

Hi Nick, Hi David...

I have a nice collection of fountain pens from the 1930s and earlier.
Many of my favorite pens were made in the teens, twenties, and early
thirties. I can tell you guys that these pens were *not* designed to
leak when laid flat. Pens made in those days work on the same principles
as pens made these days. If a pen leaks when left in a horizontal
position, you have a malfunctioning pen... doesn't matter when the pen
was made. People didn't have Levenger Pen Caddies back then to hold
their pen(s) upright. They laid 'em on or in their desks, carried 'em in
their pockets and bags, etc. Fountain
pens were writing necessities back then, not luxury options. They had to
function well and reliably. Some early (late 1800s/early 1900s)
eyedroppers and self-fillers with finless feeds are prone to drop ink if
shaken (as will any fountain pen if shaken hard enough), but no fountain
pen should be expected to leak when laid flat. My Conklins, Watermans,
Parkers, Wahls, etc. from the mid-teens to mid-thirties perform as well
or better than my modern pens in every department including holding ink.
If a pen has an intact inner cap that fits flush with the end of the
section, a properly fitted nib/feed assembly, and a properly sealed ink
reservoir, why would a pen laid on its side leak? BTW, I store mine
horizontally in inexpensive fake wood cases I bought from Wood 'n Dreams
and have had no problems (they're lined in white and the lining is still
white... no stains). Store hard rubber pens in the dark as light
(sunlight especially but indoor lighting too) discolors hard rubber.
Don't store plastic pens (e.g., celluloid nitrate and other plastics) in
contact with foam rubber as foam continues to degas over time and can
pit plastic (especially if it gets wet). -- BL

Old November 9th 04, 02:23 AM
Free Citizen

"nick" wrote in message
m...
Should I store filled pens horizontally or vertically? How do you guys
store your fouuntain pens? I read somewhere that if a pen is laid down
horizontally it could leak. Is this a problem that anyone has noticed?
Also, what type of case do you guys keep your pens in?

Thanks.

Hi Nick,

Pens are not supposed to leak when laid horizontal. Even when the pen is
held vertical ready to write, the static pressure due to gravity does not
cause the ink to leak from the nib. The feed is suppose to take care of
that. Unless for some reason, there is an unbalanced atmospheric pressure
between the external of the pen and the air pocket in the pen. Storing pens
in the horizontal position has the advantage where the nib will be kept
moist and ready to write when required.

--
Best regards,
T-H Lim

Old November 9th 04, 06:57 PM
Bluesea

"nick" wrote in message
m...
Should I store filled pens horizontally or vertically?

Yes.

How do you guys store your fouuntain pens?

Horizontally or vertically, nib up.

I read somewhere that if a pen is laid down
horizontally it could leak. Is this a problem that anyone has noticed?

"Not I," said the fly.

Also, what type of case do you guys keep your pens in?

1. Zippered leather with leather strap to confine pens
2. Zippered leather with elastic strap to confine pens
3. Leather with foldover flaptop
4. Pencil cup
5. Parts box, the kind usually used to store loose screws, etc.
6. Original box
7. In pocket sans case.

Thanks.

You're welcome .

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old November 11th 04, 04:15 PM
KCat

"Ada Ma" wrote in message

Is it an eyedropper? I have one waterman dripping all over the place

while I
did nothing but held it in my hand and try to write something. I'd tried
putting in less ink, heated it up in my hand while point the nib upward

before I
start writing, nothing helps.

that's because your hand is heating the air inside - not the ink (at least
not significantly) as the warming air expands it pushes the ink out.

this apparently happens a good bit with old eyedroppers and pens with sacs.
Pens that do this I think typically have thinner barrel material. I've
heard that if the wrong size sac (too large) is used in some pens, heat
transfer from hand to air in the sac will be more readily facilitated and
cause this problem, too.

---