Good writing paper

Old November 6th 04, 11:10 PM
David

Nancy Handy said:

Thanks for the World News Report.
I would prefer the 8.25 X 11.75 paper instead of 8.5 X 11". I think I
have some of that size by Crane.

Now we need to convince the rest of the US to go along with that
standard. It will probably go over about as well as the metric system.
When I was a kid, the teachers told us that the US would be converted to
metric by 2000. Maybe we'll have more luck with the paper. Yeah, like
that'll happen.
Next order of business - getting the US to relinquish their ballpoints
in favor of fountain pens. All in favor, say "Aye". Oy?

The decision to adopt a new standard for something won't ever happen
without a top-down enforcement plan, unfortunately. (Unless the old
standard was so bad everyone wanted to get rid of it anyway.)

Canada adopted the metric system in the 70's. The mistakes here were
that a long "grace period" proved more confusing than helpful, and many
things are still (30 years later!) allowed to be sold by the pound and
the foot, with the metric equivalents perfunctorily posted beside, and
so everyone is still confused because there are two systems floating
around. If the U.S. does it, they should learn from our mistakes -
simply set a "go metric" date, no options, no grace periods, and
businesses cannot show or mention the old system anymore. Somewhat
painful but very quick, like removing a band-aid. And I have hairy
arms, so I know what I'm talking about. :-)

David

Old November 7th 04, 06:29 PM
mge

Try the long Rhodia pads which now come in extra long size in grid, ruled
and yellow ruled.
All at Daily Planner and some of them at Pendemonium.

"Michael Wright" wrote in message
Nancy Handy wrote:
SNIP

There was another size Circa named for playwright Neil Simon, that was
even longer than the 8.5 x 11. It came with blue disks. I liked it,
but of course, it was too odd a size to become a permanent addition. I
would like a paper that is narrower and longer like 8 x 12. If I ruled
the world, that would be the standard sized paper! And the lines would
be hunter green.

News from the rest of the world:-) A4 is an international standard size,
by definition 210 x 297 mm, which ~ 8 1/4" x 11 3/4".

Close enough?

Old November 7th 04, 10:32 PM
Ron Wilbanks

Aye! :-)

Nancy Handy wrote:
Next order of business - getting the US to relinquish their ballpoints
in favor of fountain pens. All in favor, say "Aye". Oy?

Sincerely yours,

Ron Wilbanks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Spam filter: -1 for the real thing!

Old November 8th 04, 12:04 AM
Nancy Handy

mge wrote:

Try the long Rhodia pads which now come in extra long size in grid, ruled
and yellow ruled.
All at Daily Planner and some of them at Pendemonium.

Really? I only saw them with grid, which I don't want.
Now that they make them, I'd like to try them ruled.
Thanks for the tip.

Nancy
Old November 10th 04, 03:34 AM
svejk

Anyone have an opinion on Tops Docket Gold pads? To me they seem
whiter smother and markedly less feathery than Ampad Gold

still using the Ampad Gold Fibre pads for general stuff.
very smooth for fp, and available in wide or college rule.

Old November 10th 04, 06:55 AM
RJ

svejk wrote:

Anyone have an opinion on Tops Docket Gold pads? To me they seem
whiter smother and markedly less feathery than Ampad Gold

Our office pads have recently been the Office Max white pads; they are
surprisingly nice with my fountain pens. Pretty good bang for buck, I
suspect.
Old November 11th 04, 12:13 AM
Ada Ma

"Nancy Handy" wrote in message
.. .
Michael Wright wrote:

Many moons ago....
Nancy Handy wrote:
[...]

Pineider - Italian firm, you can get a personalised dice with them and get
your paper engraved with your address if you want - makes A4 paper in 100%
cotton. I saw them coming in letter sets - I was seriously tempted by a set
of 40 pages of lemon yellow paper with 20 white envelopes lined with thin
lemon yellow paper, but it was like GBP 50 ($92!!!!) so I walked away with a
heavy heart...

Old November 11th 04, 01:55 AM
Michael Wright

Ada Ma wrote:
"Nancy Handy" wrote in message
.. .

Michael Wright wrote:

Many moons ago....

Nancy Handy wrote:

[...]

As well as the glorious Pineider, Sam at Pendemonium (and
doubtless others) has more affordable A4 paper by Clairfontaine
et al.

Best

Michael
Old November 11th 04, 04:16 PM
Ada Ma

Michael Wright wrote:

Ada Ma wrote:

"Nancy Handy" wrote in message
.. .

Michael Wright wrote:

Many moons ago....

Nancy Handy wrote:

[...]

I didn't know that. I live in UK and the only time I've seen a Clairfontaine
was in one of the Lafayette (sp?) in Paris. Thinking about it I'm heading to
Paris again next week, yay!!!