Good writing paper

Old October 17th 04, 01:04 AM
Nancy Handy

KCat wrote:

I print my own lines using my Epson printer. That way if I'm in the mood
for green lines, I've got green lines! :-)

That reminds me of my gripe. Levenger's 3 x 5 ruled cards used to be
printed with understated hunter green lines. Then they changed to
boring light grey lines that look as if they were run on the copier.

I still like the cards, but I want the green lines back!

Nancy

Old October 17th 04, 01:28 AM
KCat

"Nancy Handy" wrote in message

That reminds me of my gripe. Levenger's 3 x 5 ruled cards used to be
printed with understated hunter green lines. Then they changed to
boring light grey lines that look as if they were run on the copier.

I still like the cards, but I want the green lines back!

Nancy

I liked the blue cards - and they stopped selling those. I even called to
ask if they had a stash that they weren't advertising. They said no. About
a year later they had a clearance sale and I managed to snag 1000 plus a
packet of 250 of the blue cards for a lovely $20. But I am using up the
white cards now. hoarding the blue. defeats the purpose, I know.

maybe hunter green clashed with Amethyst ink. :-)

they're still the best cards out there in terms of quality. I tried Crane
and just didn't care for them - too rough.

Circa isn't for everyone. I don't like the 8.5 x 11 because the paper is
too thin to hold up to use IMO. But I got the Junior Leather cover for all
of $23 and in the smaller size it's works better. Plus it suits my use for
it - which is just about everything I have to remember for the day as I go
about my business. the paper is a bit thin for some of my denser inks - but
otherwise works very well. Still - i'm going to the method mentioned in my
I choose, then cut and punch. I like the idea (and have made use of it) of
being able to move pages around. Can't do that with a spiral. Can do it
with a loose leaf but I found even the small looseleaf binders to be too
bulky. some people find the little discs irritating though.

to each his/her own. there's no "good" or "bad" IMO. There's just what you
like or don't like. I have found that some of the pages of the Circa papers
that came with this Junior circa aren't taking ink - too much sizing. A
problem I hadn't had before with Levenger papers. irritating.

Rollabind (the maker of "Circa") is very popular with the scrapbooking
crowd. I suspect that Levenger doesn't make up much of their market. When
you look around the scrapbooking sites, Rollabind is mentioned on almost all
of them.

I also miss Levengers Juris pads - very heavy weight but good absorbancy and
smooth. But apparently they didn't sell well enough. I managed to snag
some of those on sale as well. not enough but some... don't know what I
was thinking.

KCat the Verbose Fraud

(howda ya like the new nick? It's not very original but I credit Sheldon
with adding the last word for a little more character. SEG)

--
For Pen Talk, Images, Trading and Reviews: The Fountain Pen Network
http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet

For Lupus Support and Info
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

Old October 17th 04, 04:09 PM
Paul G

still using the Ampad Gold Fibre pads for general stuff.
very smooth for fp, and available in wide or college rule.

Pelikanyo Paul

"Steven Banks" wrote in message

"sbsawler" wrote in message

lkaboutcollecting.com...
Hi:

I've been using Levenger's Circa paper to write on; I find it is

smooth,
adsorbs and absorbs the ink well (Waterman ink) and enables writing

on
boths sides of the page. (...I'm ashamed to say that I've not

checked to
see if it's acid free...)

What are you folks using or what would you suggest?

I like KCat'secommendation, but it has a flaw. That is that these

papers
have no lines if that is a feature you want. If lines are no problem

then go
with KCat's resolution and get a Circa paper punch. That way you can

still
use the Circa system.

Steve Banks

Old October 17th 04, 05:58 PM
Nancy Handy

KCat wrote:

I liked the blue cards - and they stopped selling those.

I thought the people who stocked up during that sale would regret it.
Glad to hear they didn't clash with your ink colors.

they're still the best cards out there in terms of quality. I tried Crane
and just didn't care for them - too rough.

I'm not fond of the Crane cards either. Ditto on the Coach cards - I'm
not sure they make those anymore, but I used them before Levenger made 3
x 5 cards.

Circa isn't for everyone. I don't like the 8.5 x 11 because the paper is
too thin to hold up to use IMO.

The thing about Circa is that it's okay if you don't move your papers
around a lot. If you only move your paper two or three times max, it's
fine. Past that, it gets too weak and becomes junk. Yes it can be
annoying.
Hey, I bought two Letter leather covers during the big $23 sale and
I'm determined to like them! If the paper doesn't work out with the
letter-sized binder, I'll go to Komtrack and ask Mike to sell me uncut
paper to use with the Circa punch. Komtrack's "best quality writing"
paper is thicker and takes ink well, but it lacks that big margin I've
grown to like.

But I got the Junior Leather cover for all
of $23 and in the smaller size it's works better.

I like the Junior. It's a convenient size to carry around, but for more
serious writing I need the letter-sized 8.5 x 11 paper. With the wide
margin layout, which I adore, you get a more useful writing surface on
the letter sized paper.

There was another size Circa named for playwright Neil Simon, that was
even longer than the 8.5 x 11. It came with blue disks. I liked it,
but of course, it was too odd a size to become a permanent addition. I
would like a paper that is narrower and longer like 8 x 12. If I ruled
the world, that would be the standard sized paper! And the lines would
be hunter green.

the paper is a bit thin for some of my denser inks

A little thicker paper would be perfect, but I'm okay with Circa paper.

I like the idea (and have made use of it) of
being able to move pages around. Can't do that with a spiral. Can do it
with a loose leaf but I found even the small looseleaf binders to be too
bulky. some people find the little discs irritating though.

I like that you can easily move the paper. I like that the disks are
smaller allowing the books to be thinner instead of big, fat looseleaf
binders.
With Komtrack, the paper is thicker but it is much harder to move the
papers around. You have to disassemble the whole binder which takes too
much time. His paper is amazing though.

I have found that some of the pages of the Circa papers
that came with this Junior circa aren't taking ink - too much sizing.

I never had that problem. I always found the paper to be consistent.

Rollabind (the maker of "Circa") is very popular with the scrapbooking
crowd. I suspect that Levenger doesn't make up much of their market. When
you look around the scrapbooking sites, Rollabind is mentioned on almost all
of them.

And many of those websites directed people to Levenger to buy the sturdy
desktop punch instead of the wimpy smaller plastic punch that was
packaged for the scrapbookers.

Ah, the agony and the ecstasy of picking the perfect paper!

KCat the Verbose Fraud
(howda ya like the new nick? It's not very original but I credit Sheldon
with adding the last word for a little more character. SEG)

It's always good to see all the kids getting along at the acpp
playground.

Nancy
ps - I wasn't sure how to spell playwright. First I typed playwrite and
then playright, and finally looked it up to see playwright. So that's
our spelling word of the day - playwright!
Old October 17th 04, 06:55 PM
KCat

I like that you can easily move the paper. I like that the disks are
smaller allowing the books to be thinner instead of big, fat looseleaf
binders.
With Komtrack, the paper is thicker but it is much harder to move the
papers around. You have to disassemble the whole binder which takes too
much time. His paper is amazing though.

Komtrack? Not familiar with that.

I have found that some of the pages of the Circa papers
that came with this Junior circa aren't taking ink - too much sizing.

I never had that problem. I always found the paper to be consistent.

yes, it surprised me. never had the problem before.

And many of those websites directed people to Levenger to buy the sturdy
desktop punch instead of the wimpy smaller plastic punch that was
packaged for the scrapbookers.

that was then... many of these sites now sell the desktop punch (ranging
from about $55 to $90!) But I found one for $43 if they would get them in
stock! And there are now scrapper sets with the desktop model. of course,
they're expensive. I'm surprised to find that Levenger's price isn't really
that bad compared to some other sellers. But it can be found cheaper.
Rollabind had it for $45 at one time - when I *should* have gotten it. :P
Now they are less competitive with their prices.

ps - I wasn't sure how to spell playwright. First I typed playwrite and
then playright, and finally looked it up to see playwright. So that's
our spelling word of the day - playwright!

:-)

Old October 17th 04, 09:44 PM
Nancy Handy

KCat wrote:

Komtrack? Not familiar with that.

Pearl Art carries it, or they did. I haven't looked recently.
They have different papers - best quality lined writing paper, unlined
sketching, watercolor paper, and maybe one more. I've only tried his
best quality writing paper. I think he has a cheaper writing paper so
you have to ask for the best quality writing paper for fountain pens.

Komtrack isn't cheap. I like it better than Clairfontaine.

He sells direct, and will send you his whole brochure with his two
binding methods.
I see I spelled it wrong it is:

Komtrak
(Mike Werman - owner)
51 Werman Court
Plainview, NY 11803
tel516) 293-7170

It's in an industrial area. I've been there. It's a small family run
business. His wife and one of his kids work there too. There's a tiny
office, and he showed me the work area with huge cutting machines and
giant rolls of paper. He takes pride in what he sells and seems like a
nice guy. I'm not affiliated, but have been a very satisfied customer.

Nancy

Old October 17th 04, 11:16 PM
KCat

Hey. Texas Art Supply carries some of the Komtrak papers! cool. I think
now I recall seeing it there. at least the sketch paper. I may have even
bought some for my daughter.

Old November 5th 04, 10:14 PM
Michael Wright

Nancy Handy wrote:
SNIP

There was another size Circa named for playwright Neil Simon, that was
even longer than the 8.5 x 11. It came with blue disks. I liked it,
but of course, it was too odd a size to become a permanent addition. I
would like a paper that is narrower and longer like 8 x 12. If I ruled
the world, that would be the standard sized paper! And the lines would
be hunter green.

News from the rest of the world:-) A4 is an international
standard size, by definition 210 x 297 mm, which ~ 8 1/4" x 11 3/4".

Close enough?

Old November 6th 04, 05:31 PM
Nancy Handy

Michael Wright wrote:

Many moons ago....
Nancy Handy wrote:
I would like a paper that is narrower and longer like 8 x 12. If I ruled
the world, that would be the standard sized paper!

News from the rest of the world:-) A4 is an international
standard size, by definition 210 x 297 mm, which ~ 8 1/4" x 11 3/4".

Close enough?

Thanks for the World News Report.
I would prefer the 8.25 X 11.75 paper instead of 8.5 X 11". I think I
have some of that size by Crane.

Now we need to convince the rest of the US to go along with that
standard. It will probably go over about as well as the metric system.
When I was a kid, the teachers told us that the US would be converted to
metric by 2000. Maybe we'll have more luck with the paper. Yeah, like
that'll happen.

Next order of business - getting the US to relinquish their ballpoints
in favor of fountain pens. All in favor, say "Aye". Oy?

Nancy