Good writing paper

Old October 10th 04, 12:59 AM
sbsawler

Default Good writing paper

Hi:

I've been using Levenger's Circa paper to write on; I find it is smooth,
adsorbs and absorbs the ink well (Waterman ink) and enables writing on
boths sides of the page. (...I'm ashamed to say that I've not checked to
see if it's acid free...)

What are you folks using or what would you suggest?

Scott

Old October 10th 04, 03:29 AM
KCat

I like Circa but it has some show through for me (I like dark, dense inks)

I prefer HP color laser paper, 28 lb. I print very faint lines on it
(usually to go with various inks) and use it for letters and I print it and
cut it in half for binding in a journal.

I don't find the expensive papers (not even Levenger) really *that* much
better than a good 28lb paper. Smooth, very little if any show through and
not terribly expensive.

OTOH - for 3x5 cards, nothing beats the Levengers cards. :-)

kcat's .02

Old October 10th 04, 04:19 AM
sbsawler

I've the personalized levenger cards... though they generally end up as
book marks.

The only problem I've had with colour laser paper is that the ink dries a
different colour. It takes about 2 days, but the ink colour seems to
lighten. (... I'll check, maybe I've not tried HP specifically..)

Thanks: you're .02 is muchly appreciated.

Old October 10th 04, 05:11 AM
KCat

"sbsawler" wrote in message
lkaboutcollecting.com...
I've the personalized levenger cards... though they generally end up as
book marks.

The only problem I've had with colour laser paper is that the ink dries a
different colour. It takes about 2 days, but the ink colour seems to
lighten. (... I'll check, maybe I've not tried HP specifically..)

Thanks: you're .02 is muchly appreciated.

well - many inks I've used change colour somewhat over a few days.
blue-blacks and some of the browns have been the most susceptible to my eye.
The HP paper has a "brightness" of 96 which means it does alter colour depth
a bit - it's very subtle but to me most of my inks look slightly darker on
it than on brighter papers (i think most of the better 24lb papers are 98 or
better.)

I've tried a sample sheet of Rhodia paper and it's lovely - I just wish it
wasn't so expensive. Haven't noticed (nor paid attention to) ink changes on
that one sample. Not even sure where I've stashed it. :-)
--
For More Pen Talk, Images, Trading and Reviews: The Fountain Pen Network
http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet

For Lupus Support and Info
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

Old October 10th 04, 02:10 PM
sbsawler

You always seem to provide excellent info and website references.

Tx

Old October 10th 04, 06:28 PM
KCat

sbsawler" wrote in message
lkaboutcollecting.com...
You always seem to provide excellent info and website references.

Tx

i just like to pretend I know what I'm talking about. :-) Thanks for the
nice comment.

Best, kcat

Old October 10th 04, 09:27 PM
George Manning

KCat,

Thanks for the information on the HP paper -- I'll try some.

George

"KCat" wrote in message
m...
lkaboutcollecting.com...

Old October 16th 04, 06:55 PM
Steven Banks

"sbsawler" wrote in message
lkaboutcollecting.com...
Hi:

I've been using Levenger's Circa paper to write on; I find it is smooth,
adsorbs and absorbs the ink well (Waterman ink) and enables writing on
boths sides of the page. (...I'm ashamed to say that I've not checked to
see if it's acid free...)

What are you folks using or what would you suggest?

I like KCat'secommendation, but it has a flaw. That is that these papers
have no lines if that is a feature you want. If lines are no problem then go
with KCat's resolution and get a Circa paper punch. That way you can still
use the Circa system.

Steve Banks

Old October 16th 04, 07:58 PM
PENMART01

"Steven Banks" scrawls:

"sbscrawler" wrote:

I've been using Levenger's Circa paper to write on; I find it is smooth,
adsorbs and absorbs the ink well (Waterman ink) and enables writing on
boths sides of the page. (...I'm ashamed to say that I've not checked to
see if it's acid free...)

What are you folks using or what would you suggest?

I like KCat'secommendation, but it has a flaw.

Well what did you expect, KCat doesn't know anything, she's a verbose fraud.

That is that these papers
have no lines if that is a feature you want.

Circa paper certainly is available lined. But it's really lousy for writing on
with fountain pen, it too readily absorbs ink and feathers horribly. Many
years ago when the Circa system first became available from Levenger I bought a
Circa phone book. I never use it as I find that system really doesn't work all
that well, certainly nowhere near as well as a spiral type binding. And for
the Circa system to work at all a fairly heavy weight paper is manditory,
therefore it will never supplant the typical looseleaf binder. The Circa
system appears impressive, but that's it, it is not at all practical... it's a
gimmick is all. Yeah, I know, it suckered me in too, I even went some $35
extra for the leather cover.... and there it sits in my bookcase, with a few of
the "A" pages written upon, totally abandoned.

Good Writer's Word of the Day:

sup·plant

transitive verb

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French supplanter, from Latin
supplantare to overthrow by tripping up, from sub- + planta sole of the foot
—more at PLACE
Date: 14th century
1 : to supersede (another) especially by force or treachery
2 a (1) : obsolete : UPROOT (2) : to eradicate and supply a substitute for
efforts to supplant the vernacular b : to take the place of and serve as a
substitute for especially by reason of superior excellence or power
synonym see REPLACE
- sup·plan·ta·tion noun
- sup·plant·er noun

© 2001 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old October 16th 04, 11:45 PM
KCat

I like KCat'secommendation, but it has a flaw. That is that these papers
have no lines if that is a feature you want. If lines are no problem then

go
with KCat's resolution and get a Circa paper punch. That way you can still
use the Circa system.

Steve Banks

it's a "feature" :-) (shades of Microsoft)

I print my own lines using my Epson printer. That way if I'm in the mood
for green lines, I've got green lines! :-)