Unknown Coins 1500-1800

Old November 13th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Andrew Meier

Default Unknown Coins 1500-1800

Hi, I've come across some coins which I have been unable to identify, they
are all hammered I think (except Unknown A), any help in identifying any of
them or any clues would be much appreciated. Also approximate catalog
values would be useful.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownA.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownB.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownC.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownD.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownE.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownF.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownG.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownH.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownI.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownJ.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownK.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/UnknownL.jpg

Thank you,
Andrew

Old November 13th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MDB

Hi, nice coins. Some look like Austrian Kreuzers to me.

Compa http://69.55.175.34/ancient/ost670.jpg

Mame du Bois

TAndrew Meier wrote:
[...]

he
Old November 13th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PA SANTEGOEDS

Hi,

Coin A is probably from the Netherlands, a so-called "leeuwendaalder"from
the provice of Holland
Coin I is French; King Louis XIII, denomination not known (many somebody
else knows)
Coin J is from Germany, Liegnitz-Brieg (Silezia) a groschen made between
1488-1547
Coin K is medieval
Coin L is made in Riga (Baltic States) made under the Polish occupation, a 3
polker.

For the rest a agree with Mame de Bois, lots of austrian kreuzers
:-)

Greetings Pim and good luck with finding the rest....

"MDB" schreef in bericht

Old November 14th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Roberts

Adding to the previous responses, Coin K is from West Prussia.
There's a similar coin on my Saurma site at:
http://someoldcoins.org/saur/1/2959.htm
Regards,
Jim

Old November 14th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Andrew,

I can't id the coins, but Leopold I (coins b,c,d) was Holy Roman
Emporer (Germany, Austria, Hungary, and many minor states) 1658 to
1705. He had much to do with the overall history of Europe at the
time, warring with nearly everyone at various times...quite impressive
as he was trained as a Priest, being the younger son.

Maybe they are thalers?

hth,
Phil

Old November 14th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Andrew Meier" wrote in message
[...]

There are no prizes for guessing why poor Leopold had the nickname "The
Hogmouth", I believe he was also of dwarf like stature.

If anyone fancies buying an attractive small silver coin that's over 300
years old it's hard to beat these types for value for money, I have two or
three that were very cheap and they are high grade and very attractive.
Billy

Old November 14th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"note.boy" wrote in message

[...]

I have photographed my Leopold I coin, it's a 3 kreuzer dated 1667 and I
bought it for £4 in 1973.

It's a small coin at 22mm but I think that it's very attractive. Billy

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/4/5...26167890_o.jpg

Old November 14th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Andrew Meier

Thank you all for these insights, it is great to know what these coins are.
Looks like I'll have to find some more literature to identify them fully but
at least I now know where to look. Does anyone know any rough catalog
values for these coins?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Old November 15th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

"MDB" wrote in message
Beautiful toning. If your interested in parting with this one let me know!

There are no prizes for guessing why poor Leopold had the nickname "The
Hogmouth", I believe he was also of dwarf like stature.

If anyone fancies buying an attractive small silver coin that's over 300
years old it's hard to beat these types for value for money, I have two
or three that were very cheap and they are high grade and very
attractive. Billy

I have photographed my Leopold I coin, it's a 3 kreuzer dated 1667 and I
bought it for £4 in 1973.

It's a small coin at 22mm but I think that it's very attractive. Billy

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/4/5...26167890_o.jpg

Yeah! Heck I would double your £4 if you wanted to part with it ;-)
Dale