Nigerian Scam from 1988?

Old October 11th 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

Default Nigerian Scam from 1988?

Yesterday I bought a folded sheet with two Nigerian 10 k stamps (man
harvesting bananas) on the front side with a wrong address in Denmark
and a printed message on the back - see below.

As I paid a lot of money for this letter (2 DKKr. = 35 UScents :-)
I would like to know if I have found a REAL Nigerian Scam letter. The
stamps were cancelled on 29.02.1988 (it was a leap year).

Have any of you seen similar letters? I remember a discussion about
real scam letters way back in time but I don't recall details from it.

Thanks in advance!
Toke
"All Communications should be in English Languages and Prices in Pound
Sterlings or U, S. A.
F. A. TOKI ESQUIRE
GENERAL MERCHANTS

Postal Address:
P. 0. Box 11939,
Ibadan.
Oyo-State,
Nigeria.

Gentlemen,

It gives us great pleasure to introduce ourselves to you, F. A. Toki
Esquire, aboved address.

We are Importers and Exporters of general commodities, of which the
under listed merchandise is included in our lines of trade, we would
therefore, seize this opportunity to establish a business relationship
with your esteemed house, for our mutual benefits.

ORDER FOR URGENT DELIVERY:-

(typed using a typewriter
We required catalogues and prices of Household and Kitchen Utensils or
any of your produtcts at present.

Route of expeditions, by schedule air-freight via Ikeja airport,
Lagos, Nigeria by pre-paid freight in C Et F basis mode of payments,
by an irrevocable confirmed documentary letter of credit at sight in
Britain, through our Bank to the medium of their affiliates in
Britain, or a certified bank-draft to be available with order or cash
against shipping documents or at 30 days sight in Britain with 22%
trade interest for 30 days credit facilities, the approximate period
of delivery to be stated in the proforma invoices, the weight and
volume of the cargo, shipment promptly and P/Invoices.

Should in case, you are not the Manufacturers/Exporters of the above
item, we therefore, request you to please forward to this office, the
current catalogue of your products to enable us to be acquainted with
your products, the quotations should be with rock bottom prices and
atractive. All your communications to this office should be sent by
First-Class Air-Mail Post Registered, Express or through any Couriers
Company were not accepted.

We look forward to a long and pleasant business relationship with your
esteemed house while your earliest comments and request proforma
invoices or current offers would be appreciated.

With kind regards.

Yours faithfully,

For:- F. A. TOKI ESQUIRE"
--
Mvh Toke
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old October 11th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 11, 6:12 am, Toke Nørby wrote:
[...]

Hello Toke:
This does not look like any of the Nigerian
scam letters that I have seen.

However, I would refer you to an extensive
web site which has examples of hundreds
of Nigerian (419) scam letters, They also
give links to about 25 similar websites.

http://potifos.com/fraud/

Good Luck and Best Regards
Blair

Old October 11th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

"Blair (TC)" wrote:

Hello Toke:
This does not look like any of the Nigerian
scam letters that I have seen.

However, I would refer you to an extensive
web site which has examples of hundreds
of Nigerian (419) scam letters, They also
give links to about 25 similar websites.

http://potifos.com/fraud/

Good Luck and Best Regards
Blair

Thanks, Blair!
Terrible reading! I have received many such e-mails but never answered
to them, just deleted them.

The latest came today " Is It True You Are Dead?"
Of course I had to tie up myself to prevent me from answering him:
"Sure, I'm even cremated and my ashes are thrown into the sea"!

I could not find scans of real letters/covers - those with false
stamps or the like. There must be some of these among collectors!
--
Mvh Toke
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old October 11th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 11, 11:18 am, Toke Nørby wrote:
"Blair (TC)" wrote:
[...]

Toke:

Actually, the US Postal Service had a warehouse (in New Jersey, I
believe)
where they were storing over 2 million such covers (with forged
stamps).
As they were being held as evidence for possible legal actions, they
were
not made available to stamp collectors (or stamp dealers).

Since many got thrown away, it is not so easy to find the forgeries,
on cover or otherwise.

Blair

Old October 11th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

"Blair (TC)" wrote:

Actually, the US Postal Service had a warehouse (in New Jersey, I
believe)where they were storing over 2 million such covers (with forged
stamps) As they were being held as evidence for possible legal actions, they
were not made available to stamp collectors (or stamp dealers).

Since many got thrown away, it is not so easy to find the forgeries,
on cover or otherwise.

Blair

That's quite a lot. I hope that they will give some to postal museums
and then destroy the rest - some day!
--
Mvh Toke

http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old October 12th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 11, 5:42 pm, Toke Nørby wrote:
"Blair (TC)" wrote:
Actually, the US Postal Service had a warehouse (in New Jersey, I
believe)where they were storing over 2 million such covers (with forged
stamps) As they were being held as evidence for possible legal actions, they
were not made available to stamp collectors (or stamp dealers).

Since many got thrown away, it is not so easy to find the forgeries,
on cover or otherwise.

Blair

That's quite a lot. I hope that they will give some to postal museums
and then destroy the rest - some day!
--
Mvh Toke

http://www.norbyhus.dk/

Toke:

For your information, here are some scans of
forged Nigerian stamps used to mail scam letters.

20N Roan Antelope forgery
http://cjoint.com/data/kmdOQyJ7Rr.htm

50K OPEC Silver Jubilee forgery
http://cjoint.com/data/kmdQUB4Ql4.htm

50K Stone Bridge forgery #1
http://cjoint.com/data/kmdSXiCYBA.htm

50K Stone Bridge forgery #2
http://cjoint.com/data/kmdVA5Q21f.htm

Blair

Old October 12th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Oct 11, 6:12 pm, Toke Nørby wrote:
Yesterday I bought a folded sheet with two Nigerian 10 k stamps (man

Here is an article from "The Stamp Collector" 2000

http://cjoint.com/data/klnQe3Lrlm.htm

(warning large 500Kb scan)

I also have two transcripts from "60 minutes" and another
allegedly claiming $500,000 a month is being taken
from Queensland Australia alone.
(I very much doubt this)
Just ask if you'd like me to post it.
HTH
Rodney

Old October 12th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

"Blair (TC)" wrote:
[...]

Blair- Hide quoted text -

Finally, another interesting link .

Blair

Old October 12th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 11, 10:12 pm, Rod wrote:
On Oct 11, 6:12 pm, Toke Nørby wrote:

Yesterday I bought a folded sheet with two Nigerian 10 k stamps (man

Here is an article from "The Stamp Collector" 2000

http://cjoint.com/data/klnQe3Lrlm.htm

(warning large 500Kb scan)

I also have two transcripts from "60 minutes" and another
allegedly claiming $500,000 a month is being taken
from Queensland Australia alone.
(I very much doubt this)
Just ask if you'd like me to post it.
HTH