wow/flutter test on a Pioneer HR-99

Old December 14th 06, 02:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
duty-honor-country

Default wow/flutter test on a Pioneer HR-99

yesterday I was at at my friend's repair shop working on my HR-99, and
decided to test the deck on his wow/flutter meter- this meter puts out
a continuous 3000 HZ tone- so we pulled a blank tape off the workbench
shelf, and taped a 3000 HZ tone from the generator onto track one, then
played it back into the wow/flutter meter and checked it

an old unserviced Scotch brand 90 min blank, with shot pads, in need of
servicing- dry reel and pinchroller posts- it registered .35%
wow/flutter, or 1/3 or a percent

I'm surprised it wasn't a lot worse than that !

I'm going to return with a serviced tape w/3000 HZ tone and see what
kind of improvements can be made- not expecting much, since all the
Pioneer decks have the small DC motors- and will show more wow/flutter
than an AC motored deck like a Telex, Akai, JVC

while there, I ran my Audiotex alignment tape through the -99 and into
the frequency counter on the bench, and monitored the tape through the
bench speakers- and kept adjusting the motor speed until the counter
reading matched what the test tape tone was

brought the deck home, and it was dead nuts on with my 90 second speed
test tape- verifying that both test tapes (the Audiotex and the 90
second speed test tape) are indeed valid and recorded properly

the Pioneer HR-series decks are nice- but one thing is glaringly
apparent- they really should have put an AC motor in those decks- and
external head height adjustment thumbwheel. If they did, the deck
would actually be better than any Akai or Telex- because the
electronics and circuits in the Pioneers are more modern and efficient.
The channel switch is brisk and quick, and not excessively noisy-
Excellent build quality as well.

perhaps an AC motor swap into a Pioneer will be the next project...

Old December 14th 06, 06:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 14 Dec 2006 05:23:21 -0800, "duty-honor-country"
wrote:

yesterday I was at at my friend's repair shop working on my HR-99, and
decided to test the deck on his wow/flutter meter- this meter puts out
a continuous 3000 HZ tone- so we pulled a blank tape off the workbench
shelf, and taped a 3000 HZ tone from the generator onto track one, then
played it back into the wow/flutter meter and checked it

an old unserviced Scotch brand 90 min blank, with shot pads, in need of
servicing- dry reel and pinchroller posts- it registered .35%
wow/flutter, or 1/3 or a percent snip

Idiot...that means nothing. You need a CALIBRATED FLUTTER TAPE to do
a realistic wow/flutter test on any analog tape machine...not those
frauds you sell on eBay. In fact, I know of NO commercially available
8 track alignment tapes except for the Nortronics, that have a
CALIBRATED 3 KHz tone that is suitable for w/f measurements. Some
"tech" you've got there, Noodles. Who is it...one of your imaginary
friends in your schizoid brain?

Since flutter components in an analog tape system can be cyclical,
simply recording/replaying a 3 KHz tone and playing it back into a w/f
bridge may yield either double the amount of real w/f, or a fraction
thereof, including complete cancellation. Your "test" is invalid.

You're an idiot, Noodles...face it.

I'm surprised it wasn't a lot worse than that ! snip

It probably is.

[...]

Excellent build quality as well. snip

This is a complete fabrication. Charlie Nudo has NO clue as to what
he's babbling about.

..35% W/F unweighted is GOOD for any 3¾ consumer grade machine, but
since it's a record/playback cycle using a tone from an oscillator,
it's completely invalid.

Typical for this dirtbag.

perhaps an AC motor swap into a Pioneer will be the next project...

Old December 15th 06, 07:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
duty-honor-country

duty-honor-country wrote:
[...]

perusing the specs for the Akai 80-81-82-83 decks, it's interesting to
see that the AC motor decks are listed at .35%

while the DC motored 83D is listed at only .15%

http://www.8trackheaven.com/Images/akaicr83d.JPG

having owned all of the above, I can safely say that the AC motored
decks are much more stable and better sounding !

the test done on the Pioneer HR-99 was with a 90 min tape without lube-
no doubt a 35 minute single-LP tape that has been serviced, will knock
that W/F number down even more.

another interesting spec- early AC motored Akais listed at freq
response to 16 khz on the top end

while the 83D is only listed to 14 khz

that's one major reason I never kept an 83D- I could hear the lower
freq response compared to the other Akai decks, Telex, JVC, and Pioneers

Old December 15th 06, 07:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 15 Dec 2006 10:02:27 -0800, "duty-honor-country"
wrote:

while the DC motored 83D is listed at only .15%

http://www.8trackheaven.com/Images/akaicr83d.JPG

having owned all of the above, I can safely say that the AC motored
decks are much more stable and better sounding ! snip

No one believe you. You're a moron, with no electronic or magnetic
tape knowledge or ability. You're just a dumpster diver who unloads
crap on eBay...or used to, anyway.

the test done on the Pioneer HR-99 was with a 90 min tape without lube-
no doubt a 35 minute single-LP tape that has been serviced, will knock
that W/F number down even more. snip

Idiot...a record/playback "test" using 3 KHz out of an oscillator is
MEANINGLESS as to the wow/flutter characteristics of the machine under
test! USE A CALIBRATED ALIGNMENT TAPE to get real results, like I
did, last year. With your harebrained scheme, you'll get different
results every time you play back the same 3 KHz tone, due to either
addition or cancellation of the repetitive/cyclical components of the
machine's speed inaccuracy phenomena.

Hey Noodles! Sell any of your "research" finding "pigmies" in
Australia to any university anthopology departments yet? What an
idiot!
Old December 21st 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Stereo__8

brought the deck home, and it was dead nuts on

WTF does this expression mean? Dead nuts on what- your forehead?

perhaps an AC motor swap into a Pioneer will be the next project...

Be sure to stand in a puddle when you do it. Oh- and be sure to run
the 12-volt line in thru the 120 volt motor. Be sure to do it while
you are in said puddle.

Old December 21st 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 21 Dec 2006 09:36:54 -0800, "Stereo__8"
wrote:

brought the deck home, and it was dead nuts on

WTF does this expression mean? Dead nuts on what- your forehead? snip

His nuts have been dead since his teens, owing to all the toxins in NE
Penna. That's good...he can't reproduce anymore!

perhaps an AC motor swap into a Pioneer will be the next project...

Be sure to stand in a puddle when you do it. Oh- and be sure to run
the 12-volt line in thru the 120 volt motor. Be sure to do it while
you are in said puddle. snip

The moron has a 120V home deck up on FraudBay now that he claims he
used a 12 V power supply to work on. WTF??? Typical Charlie Nudo
bull****.

Note that the only thing with a bid on his "66fourdoor" fraud sales is
another of his bogus alignment tapes, and that'll probably go down the
****ter, as well.

Charlie Nudo, "66fourdoor" = NO BIDS!

Book Reivew: "California Pioneer Fractional Gold" (2nd ed.) Michael E. Marotta Coins 2 October 2nd 04 03:02 PM
test test test Don B Baseball 0 September 13th 04 07:09 AM
Rockwell Hardness Test Fred Coins 10 December 8th 03 06:46 AM
More on test cuts Reid Goldsborough Coins 82 August 23rd 03 06:55 PM
Still more on test cuts Reid Goldsborough Coins 31 August 22nd 03 12:45 PM