questions about book value

Old February 9th 04, 07:21 PM
Wire

Default questions about book value

I have a rather unusual book, a copy of Thomas Hardy's Return of the Native
signed by the author (not by the illustrator). I have tried to find a
valuation for this book but have had no luck. The provenance is good, Hardy
autographed it for my Aunt in England before WW II. The volume was
published by an American pirate publisher (Collier) and is thus even more
unusual. Any suggestions?

Cj

Old February 9th 04, 08:19 PM
paghat

In article , "Wire" wrote:

I have a rather unusual book, a copy of Thomas Hardy's Return of the Native
signed by the author (not by the illustrator). I have tried to find a
valuation for this book but have had no luck. The provenance is good, Hardy
autographed it for my Aunt in England before WW II. The volume was
published by an American pirate publisher (Collier) and is thus even more
unusual. Any suggestions?

Cj

Provenance would have to be more specific. Was your aunt a Mormon
missionary or Avon representative out knocking on doors in Dorset, or was
the old gent being dollied about from bookstore to bookstore in
Manchester? Did she bring the cheapest possible edition all the way from
America with the explicit intent of insulting a geezer, or did they run
into each other at random at a tiddlywinks tournament & it was the only
edition she could lay hands on in a hurry? And most important of all,
would "before WWII" be round about 1929 to 1938?

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old February 9th 04, 11:53 PM
Francis A. Miniter

I never thought of Collier as a pirate publisher. Reprint publisher,
yes, but pirate?

By the way, Peter Fenelon Collier did do a reprint with no date.
Guesses range from late 19th C to 1910. Copies of it unsigned by the
author seem to have minimal value.

Francis A. Miniter

Wire wrote:

I have a rather unusual book, a copy of Thomas Hardy's Return of the Native
signed by the author (not by the illustrator). I have tried to find a
valuation for this book but have had no luck. The provenance is good, Hardy
autographed it for my Aunt in England before WW II. The volume was
published by an American pirate publisher (Collier) and is thus even more
unusual. Any suggestions?

Cj

Americana 109: The Last Word Jerry Morris Books 0 January 25th 04 04:04 AM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 09:18 PM
Book signing information Ted Kupczyk Autographs 6 November 2nd 03 03:04 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM