Ebay note grading

Old April 18th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

Default Ebay note grading

While note grading has been documented it is still subjective there is
no consensus on what is "THE standard". There also is little
difference in aEF and gEF on an EF note. Often subjective and can vary
from dealer to dealer.

Attributing too low a grade will result in a much lower price.
Attributing too high a grade will result in an angry buyer. Some
people are very picky while others are less picky.

Because a lot of ebay buyers are "catalogue purchasers based on
grade" (Will pay only around the value stated for a particular grade
in their catalogue) some sellers don't attribute a grade.

There are also differences in the grading standards used in the US,
Europe and Australasia.

Your chart states an EF note can have three light folds. The standard
I use states an EF note can only have two light folds. Three folds
makes it an aEF note. There can also be disagreement on whether folds
are light or have been pressed.

Grading notes can create hassles for sellers that do not consistently
sell numismatic items. A lot of sellers on ebay sell from home and
dabble a bit in all sorts of items.

On Apr 17, 3:12 am, "Owen W. Linzmayer"
wrote:
It's simply impossible to accurately grade a note based upon scans, no
matter how detailed. It's a complete cop out when a seller who often sells
notes claims to be unable to grade a note. Either the seller is lazy or has
something to hide.

Old April 18th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

I have noticed a recent trend on ebay where few notes are "gVF", they are
"aEF", those that were "EF" are now "aUNC".

A note is either EFor UNC or it's not, if it's not then it's gVF or gEF
respectively, not aEF or aUNC. Billy

Old April 21st 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

so how does one grade something like this:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...s=0,0&format=0

(check both sides)

The face of the note is an attractive specimen of this scarce note.
The reverse OTOH has some of the design rubbed away. How do you grade
and value such a note?
Old April 21st 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

"Matthew Brealey" wrote in message
so how does one grade something like this:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...s=0,0&format=0

(check both sides)

The face of the note is an attractive specimen of this scarce note.
The reverse OTOH has some of the design rubbed away. How do you grade
and value such a note?

I looks to have been damaged by a slug or snail. Billy

Old April 21st 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...681181&image=1....

(check both sides)

The face of the note is an attractive specimen of this scarce note.
The reverse OTOH has some of the design rubbed away. How do you grade
and value such a note?

I looks to have been damaged by a slug or snail. *Billy

Well I was hoping to get it on the cheap, but as ever the price jumped
from $11 to $70 in the last half an hour. Decided that $70 was too
much to pay for a note damaged on one side.

The last of these sold for $125.50 in F condition.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...s=0,0&format=0

More wear around the central fold, but no missing design.
Old April 23rd 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...id=681181â„‘=1...

(check both sides)

The face of the note is an attractive specimen of this scarce note.
The reverse OTOH has some of the design rubbed away. How do you grade
and value such a note?

With damaged notes that have a nice appearance it is hard to attribute
an accurate grade. One way to grade a note like this is to attribute
an apparent grade.
For example: Apparent VF with paper discoloring and (p) damage on
reverse
The other way is to attribute a grade for each side of the note.

Grading is to provide the buyer with an indication of its true
condition so as long as it is accurately described it doesn't matter
what the attributed grade is.
It is up to the buyer to decide how much the damage will affect the
value.
Old April 23rd 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

With the paper discoloring and rust on the rear I think this note has
been wet (flood damage?) and got stuck to something. The damage on the
rear is probably a surface tear as it has been removed from something
that it got stuck to.

Old April 23rd 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

aEF as opposed to gVF is a different grade. aEF indicates that it is
not quite EF but rates higher than an gVF note. gVF being better than
VF and aEF being not quite EF.

It can be possible to obtain an accurate partial grade using the
points system for grading.

On Apr 19, 8:53 am, "note.boy" wrote:

A note is either EFor UNC or it's not, if it's not then it's gVF or gEF
respectively, not aEF or aUNC. Billy

Point System:

100 Points = Uncirculated
90 Points = EF
75 Points = VF
55 Points = F
30 Points = VG
20 Points = G

Points are allocated for the following:

Cleanliness:

20 Perfect. Note Clean and bright
15 Slight soiling only just noticable
10 Note considerably soiled/ or bankers marks
0 Note very dirty, considerably reducing legibility

Folding:

20 No folds whatsoever
15 One or two folds leaving a slight crease
10 Several or more prominent folds
0 Many folds

Surface:

20 Perfect, no damage whatsever
15 Slight and only just detectable damage
10 Note damaged in several places
0 Note extensively damaged

Edges

20 Perfectly straight and undamaged
15 Slight roughness or indentation
10 Edges considerably damaged and or tears not extending into the
design
0 Edges badly damaged or tears extending into the design

Holes

20 None
15 One or two pin holes
10 Several pin holes or one or two larger holes
0 Several larger holes

Example: A slightly soiled note with several folds, no damage to the
surface or edges but with several pinholes:

Cleanliness : 15
Folding : 10
Surface : 20
Edges : 20
Holes : 10

Total = 75 = VF (Very fine)
Old April 24th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

On 23 Apr, 00:29, noteworthy wrote:
aEF as opposed to gVF is a different grade. aEF indicates that it is
not quite EF but rates higher than an gVF note. gVF being better than
VF and aEF being not quite EF.

It can be possible to obtain an accurate partial grade using the
points system for grading.

I'm not sure I like that system. If a note has extensive surface
damage it appears to still be possible to rate VF+

But the rating of anything but mint and near mint notes I guess is
always going to be problematic, because the real world notes will be
damaged in ways that don't necessarily correspond perfectly to a
system. For instance you can have a very nice looking note that has an
apparently low grade, and vice versa.

Actually here is one I received today:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4088/frontbf2.jpg
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/4503/backuv6.jpg

I am really not happy with it.

The seller sold it as VF. The picture was far too small to judge.

There is NO WAY that the note is VF.

My "Standard Catalog of World Paper Money" shows "Very Fine: Minimal
dirt or possible color smudging. "

That note is filthy. It really is not a nice-looking collectible.

On the reverse, top right there is some paper that at one point has
got stuck to the surface of the note and has been torn away leaving
some residue behind. The edges are showing nicks. There is some
central crease wear.

The note is not just folded, but very wrinkled.

A few small pen marks are visible on the obverse.

The only question for me is if it is F, or merely VG.

Pick gives this note a value of $40 in VF but only $15 in VG.

The item sold for $27.

The seller of course says in the auction that grading is a matter of
his personal opinion, and that returns are at my cost both ways.

But I don't see why I should end up $15 out of pocket for postage as a
result of the seller misrepresenting the condition of the item.

Anyway, could I get some confirmation. Is this VG or F?
Old April 25th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
[email protected]

Anyway, could I get some confirmation. Is this VG or F?

If I were to grade this, it would be a VG, and I'd never pay $15
shipping for this note.

Market grading vs. Technical Grading.....the answer to my coin grading question Ira Stein Coins 10 July 26th 05 08:38 PM
Grading on eBay Gene Paper Money 5 January 11th 05 09:49 PM
Ebay Grading KLH Coins 3 August 25th 04 12:42 AM
A grading challenge on eBay Bob Peterson Coins 4 February 9th 04 05:11 PM
Grading on eBay.. JEEEEZZZ! Gene Mack Paper Money 8 July 21st 03 09:19 PM