Quad 8-tracks--- Why the interest?

Old July 2nd 04, 11:42 PM
Dobsons

Default Quad 8-tracks--- Why the interest?

I came across a few Quad 8-tracks recently, and, since I don't have
the proper player, I made them available for the buying public on that
big auction site that we all know about. Well, they are the
following titles:

1) Fred Waring and the Philadelphians. "Nashville Sounds"
2) Gordon Jenkins
3) Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan
4) Billy Hardin
5) Henson Cargill- "1932"

All titles have "Romulus" as the creator. I don't know the year they
were produced, but they are all old country from the 40s and 50s, so
they were remasters, probably. I don't know because they are sealed.
The first two went for 25 & 45 respectively, and 3,4,5 are currently
on auction, with 3 currently at 55, with 5 days left.

Are the ones I have very rare beasts? The way the bidding is going, it
seems that way.

I know that quads garner more interest than their stereophonic
counterparts, but my curiosity is burning...Why?

thanks for your "take"

Old July 3rd 04, 11:09 AM
trippin2-8track

(Dobsons) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Supply and demand- far fewer quad tapes were made. And a recent spike
in demand-due to so many players being sold on ebay- players have
become common. Ex: I bought a Panasonic quad player for $1 this week
on ebay. A few months ago I got a mint AKai80D-ss for $72. With decks
so cheap at times, more collectors are taking the quad plunge- so next
thing they need, is TAPES to play. A year ago your tapes may only
have brought $10 each if that. I listed a Joplin Pearl quad for $25
buy now it went like lightning- looking back I underpriced it. Any
remotely desireable quad tape seems to be a $40-50 deal for the time
being- and this is the time to SELL if you want out of quads.
..
Old July 3rd 04, 05:26 PM
Larry Blumenfeld

Dobsons wrote:

[...]

The likelihood of these being actual quadraphonic is very slim. First of
all, who is "Romulus"? Sounds like a bootleg to me. Second, if they're
all from the 40s and 50s, they're not even likely to be stereo, let
alone quad. I would say that they're probably old who-knows-what in quad
shells...if indeed they are. What indication do you have that these are
indeed quad? Says so on the label? Not criticizing....hey, if you can
get big bucks for 'em, go for it. I sold all my ACTUAL quads a year or
so ago, and got what I thought was decent money, but I'm sure they're
worth much more now. Quad material in general is scarce and collectible;
I'm in the process right now of selling all of my quad lp's, and it
looks like the majority of them will sell...and let me tell ya, having
the means to play a quad lp properly is even more unlikely than having a
quad 8 track player.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Old July 4th 04, 12:30 AM
trippin2-8track

Larry,

Why did you get rid of your quad stuff ?? Did you go digital surround
DVD/CD audio, or sticking to analog stereo ??
Old July 6th 04, 03:40 AM
DOGGIE104

I don't know the year they
were produced, but they are all old country from the 40s and 50s, so
they were remasters, probably.

I looked over some of the song titles, and I don't believe they could have been
that old. 60s or 70s seems more likely.

Try this link:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...720441058&sql=
Bfmen97q7krgt

(would make it shorter but don't care THAT much) later, ron
Old July 6th 04, 03:55 AM
Dobsons

Larry Blumenfeld wrote in message ...
Dobsons wrote:

[...]

Romulus is the producer of the tape. I looked for the stock numbers,
they appeared on a couple of Quad 8 track sites, which tells me that
they are genuine.. Do a google lookup of Romulus, if you'd like to
know more :-)

Second, if they're all from the 40s and 50s, they're not even

likely to be stereo, let alone quad. I would say that they're
probably old who-knows-what in quad shells...if indeed they are. What
indication do you have that these are
indeed quad? Says so on the label?

I saw some others from this same company, the Jordanaires, Arthur
Feidler- those are both from the 50s. Well, the only thing I can go
by with Quad is, 1) the label, 2) the fact that there are only 2
programs on it, which is what I've read, defines it as such. Romulus
probably created at least 50 titles, all with that early 70s look and
feel to it. The lettering looks so psychadelic.

Not criticizing....hey, if you can get big bucks for 'em, go for it.

It seems to be going that way. It surprises me, and just the prices,
alone, made me curious enough to want to know a little bit more.
It didn't take me long to decide that these were things I was going to
pick up.

Thanks for your input
Old July 6th 04, 01:46 PM
trippin2-8track

Ebay is a different market you must remember...

My sister was cleaning her house, and in the garbage was 2 toys that
had water inside, you pushed a button to make them work manually, and
it would circulate glitter and whatnot inside. She was throwing them
away and one leaked dry.

I took them and put them on ebay, someone in Montana bought them for
$10 and collects them- and was thanking me for listing them.
Old July 14th 04, 04:58 AM
Larry Blumenfeld

trippin2-8track wrote:

Larry,

Why did you get rid of your quad stuff ?? Did you go digital surround
DVD/CD audio, or sticking to analog stereo ??

No, I just couldn't track down a really good quad player - I had a
Concord with problems that I sold, and what I really wanted was a quad
Wollensak - so I said the heck with it and sold all of my Quad 8's in a
lump. I also sold my Audio-Technica AT-15Sa pickup because when I moved
five years ago I somehow lost my CD-4 demodulator. I did manage to sell
most of my CD-4 lps on ebay. SQ I never liked anyway, and Sansui
QS-encoded stuff decodes really well using the "orchestra" surround on
my Onkyo receiver.

I have no intention of doing digital surround via DVD-A or SACD. How
could I think of wanting better sound than CD, when I'm perfectly happy
listening to old stuff on 8 track? 8)

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Old July 14th 04, 05:02 AM
Larry Blumenfeld

Dobsons wrote:

Second, if they're all from the 40s and 50s, they're not even

likely to be stereo, let alone quad. I would say that they're
probably old who-knows-what in quad shells...if indeed they are. What
indication do you have that these are

indeed quad? Says so on the label?

I saw some others from this same company, the Jordanaires, Arthur
Feidler- those are both from the 50s. Well, the only thing I can go
by with Quad is, 1) the label, 2) the fact that there are only 2
programs on it, which is what I've read, defines it as such. Romulus
probably created at least 50 titles, all with that early 70s look and
feel to it. The lettering looks so psychadelic.

Here's the thing: They may very well be in quad shells - they may have
only two programs - but that doesn't necessarily make them 4 channel
programs. The rear channels could be the same as the front, or it could
be some echoey, phasey thing like Capitol did with their "Duophonic"
records.....or, who knows, maybe they ARE quad.

Happy trails,
Larry B.