Voting to begin soon on South Dakota quarter designs

Old January 4th 05, 11:03 AM
stonej

Default Voting to begin soon on South Dakota quarter designs

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...te/state03.txt

Old January 4th 05, 11:40 AM
Jerry Dennis

stonej wrote:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...te/state03.txt

From the article:

The five options a

* Mount Rushmore, framed by two heads of wheat.

* Mount Rushmore, with a bison in the foreground.

* Mount Rushmore, with a pheasant in the foreground.

* A buffalo, framed by wheat.

* A pheasant, framed by wheat.

Go with the Wheat-Framed Buffalo. Imagine a wheat back cent with the
ONE CENT replaced by Black Diamond on a quarter. SIGH!

Jerry

Old January 4th 05, 12:51 PM
Larry Louks

Though I do not live in South Dakota, it is my sentiment that Mt. Rushmore
is such an awesome achievement that it would be sad if it is not depicted on
their quarter.

Larry
'diversity makes life go around'

Old January 4th 05, 12:57 PM
stonej

Larry Louks wrote:
Though I do not live in South Dakota, it is my sentiment that Mt.

Rushmore
is such an awesome achievement that it would be sad if it is not

depicted on
their quarter.

Larry
'diversity makes life go around'

I would be shocked if one of the Mt. Rushmore designs was not the top
vote
getter.

Old January 4th 05, 02:30 PM

Jerry Dennis wrote:
stonej wrote:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...te/state03.txt

From the article:

The five options a

* Mount Rushmore, framed by two heads of wheat.

* Mount Rushmore, with a bison in the foreground.

* Mount Rushmore, with a pheasant in the foreground.

* A buffalo, framed by wheat.

* A pheasant, framed by wheat.

Go with the Wheat-Framed Buffalo. Imagine a wheat back cent with the
ONE CENT replaced by Black Diamond on a quarter. SIGH!

Jerry

Naturally, they totally ignored the tremendous Crazy Horse statue. A
pheasant, oh yeah! Be still my beating heart!!!!
Tom DeLorey

Old January 4th 05, 03:36 PM
Michael G. Koerner

Jerry Dennis wrote:
stonej wrote:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...te/state03.txt

From the article:

The five options a

* Mount Rushmore, framed by two heads of wheat.

* Mount Rushmore, with a bison in the foreground.

* Mount Rushmore, with a pheasant in the foreground.

* A buffalo, framed by wheat.

* A pheasant, framed by wheat.

Go with the Wheat-Framed Buffalo. Imagine a wheat back cent with the
ONE CENT replaced by Black Diamond on a quarter. SIGH!

Jerry

Naturally, they totally ignored the tremendous Crazy Horse statue. A
pheasant, oh yeah! Be still my beating heart!!!!
Tom DeLorey

Especially since pheasants are not 'native' in South Dakota. The
species is from Asia.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old January 4th 05, 05:45 PM
Bob Flaminio

Larry Louks wrote:
Though I do not live in South Dakota, it is my sentiment that Mt.
Rushmore is such an awesome achievement that it would be sad if it is
not depicted on their quarter.

Mt Rushmore already got a series of commems. My choice would have been
Crazy Horse, as Tom Delory mentioned, but it's not even in the running.
All of the designs sound sucky, but at least there's no SOs, so that
elevates them to middling-good at least.

--
Bob

Old January 4th 05, 07:32 PM
John DeBoo

Bob Flaminio wrote:

Larry Louks wrote:

Though I do not live in South Dakota, it is my sentiment that Mt.
Rushmore is such an awesome achievement that it would be sad if it is
not depicted on their quarter.

Mt Rushmore already got a series of commems. My choice would have been
Crazy Horse, as Tom Delory mentioned, but it's not even in the running.
All of the designs sound sucky, but at least there's no SOs, so that
elevates them to middling-good at least.

Only problem would be the 'sensitivity' issue from the Indian
population. Somewhere there would be a loud voice of protest over it.
IIRC the sculptor was not Indian, or am I wrong here?
John
Old January 4th 05, 07:35 PM
Cliff

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:45:03 -0800, "Bob Flaminio"
wrote:

Larry Louks wrote:
Though I do not live in South Dakota, it is my sentiment that Mt.
Rushmore is such an awesome achievement that it would be sad if it is
not depicted on their quarter.

Mt Rushmore already got a series of commems. My choice would have been
Crazy Horse, as Tom Delory mentioned, but it's not even in the running.
All of the designs sound sucky, but at least there's no SOs, so that
elevates them to middling-good at least.

I believe Crazy Horse would be a good idea but in this era of
political correctness, any reference to his name would probably have
to be to his true Native American Name rather than "Crazy Horse".
But, I could be wrong.
Cliff

Oh, I did hear, not too long ago that there were talks going on about
selling Mt. Rushmore and moving it. It seems that the Canadians have
fallen in love with it and are willing to pay some pretty good cash to
get it.

Old January 4th 05, 07:58 PM
stonej

Hmm..... the Canadians could have their own Mt. Rushmore as they have
plenty
of mountains out west to choose from. Are any of their prime
ministers worthy
of the honor? Maybe explorers (Mackenzie?) or some hockey heroes.