MSNS show report

Old November 26th 05, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default MSNS show report

Left Lansing around 8 AM, stopping at a McDonald's for breakfast
and arriving at Dearborn around opening time of 10 AM. The show seemed
to have a decent
crowd but I think Friday is always the busiest day for this show.

Went right away to see Larry Falater about some depression scrip I was
going to look
at but it turns out he forget to bring it. There were many interesting
educational displays
but it seems that hardly anyone is interested in seeing it except for
the MSNS blue jackets
doing their official judging. More people should take the time to look
at educational exhibits
as a lot of time is put into getting them together.

Dropped by to see Doc. Wallace Lee, bought an inexpensive hometown
token from
him and inquired about the status of his book on Michigan obsolete
currency. It has been
tied up for 3 years now but he hopes that it will be published sometime
this spring. He has put 35 years of research into it and really wants
to see it finally in print.

There was a wide variety of coins available, I didn't get a reading as
to what was
selling best. Cliff Mishler was at the Krause publications table and I
thought about
asking him about the tiff with the ANA over the museum thing but
decided I best
mind my own business.

Was going to buy some old Coca-Cola checks that I thought were 7 of
them for $27.50
No.... that was the price per check..... sorry no sale

A display case with Marilyn Monroe memorablia for sale caught my eye
(and I'm sure many
others as well) as it included the famous pinup from Playboy (hey, we
all need a break from
just looking at coins all the time).

Was going to look at some of the Craig Whitford auction lots but ran
out of time as
the rest of the family was at the nearby Fairlane Mall and ready to go
home.

All in all a good show that I enjoyed.

Old November 27th 05, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
All in all a good show that I enjoyed.

I also enjoyed the show, was able to pick up some nice coins for a 20th
century toned type set as well as some nice proofs. The crowd was large
enough to add atmosphere but not so large that getting to see inventory was
difficult (as it can be on the Fridays). I noticed that both ANA President
Horton and Cliff Mishler were at the show but have no idea if they spoke
with each other.
Steve

Old November 27th 05, 05:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

stonej wrote:
Went right away to see Larry Falater ...
Dropped by to see Doc. Wallace Lee, ...
... and inquired about the status of his book on Michigan obsolete
currency.

See my addition to the topic "MSNS Show Thanksgiving Weekend." We were
in the same places at different time. I bought two Bank of Washtenaw
notes from Larry. Doc. Lee showed me two much rarer. We are all
waiting for the book.

At the Exhibits, I met Karl Mark Pall who teaches Michigan Obsolete
Currency at Macomb Community College where he is an adjunct professor.
I am working on a rather complicated article and he pointed me to what
he considers the primary reference, which will help a great deal.

I posted images of the Ann Arbor currency on Coin People:
http://coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=5420

Old November 27th 05, 12:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"stonej" wrote in message
A display case with Marilyn Monroe memorablia for sale caught my eye
(and I'm sure many
others as well) as it included the famous pinup from Playboy (hey, we
all need a break from
just looking at coins all the time).

Yes indeed, the Marilyn display was in the smaller of the bourse rooms, the
one that tripled as the auction viewing area and exhibit area also.

The show was a good one, there were three of us that went whilst the ladies
perused Briarwood. The mark of a good coin show is the men spending
considerably more than the ladies, and with the exception of my son whom
only spent half what his sister did, the others of us managed to spend
exponentially more, and had I had more I would have spent more.

I managed to find two coins I have been actively looking for awhile for, the
first is a Siberian Polushka, a nice example. These things are incredibly
rare, if they are authentic that is:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmoney/russia/sib.html

It is the first coin on the left.

The second really nice find was a 1 Ore from Sweden, minted during the reign
of Queen Christina in 1639:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmon...denore1639.jpg

This coin is a hefty piece, it is an AE 47. Again these are scarce in
collectible grades. I was almost as excited about finding this as finding
the Polushka after a 7 year search.

My son left the show with an Indian gold fanam, about 250 yrs old purchased
from Ken Froseth.

Old November 27th 05, 02:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

How could His Fraudulency Horton talk to ANYBODY without CRAPHOLETTI'S
PERMISSIONS???

If he did, Crapholetti would fire him too!!!

oly

Old November 27th 05, 02:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

How could His Fraudulency Horton talk to ANYBODY without CRAPHOLETTI'S
PERMISSIONS???

If he did, Crapholetti would fire him too!!!

Horton might have been sent to the show on a "peace mission" by the
executive
director to talk with Mishler/Krause (don't know if Chet was there,
didn't see him).

The ANA has been trying to get together with Mishler/Krause recently
but
have been rebuffed from what I understand. This dispute has been going
on
for quite awhile.

Old November 27th 05, 02:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

The Pope made Frederick Barbarossa come in person and kneel three days
in the snow infront of his castle before admitting him. Not a flunkey.

Not a flunkey like Horton.

FIRE CRAPHOLETTI NOW! Before CRAPHOLETTI CAUSES the next big
embarrassment.

oly

Old November 27th 05, 03:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

It could be that this dispute has escalated to the point where a face
to face meeting between the executive director and Krause/Mishler might
not be the
best strategy. The personalities and egos might not mix well. Just a
guess
anyway.

Old November 27th 05, 04:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Based on Horton's letter to NN it sounds like the foundraisers
should've known better than to make a gentlemen's agreement with the
ANA. If it's not in writing it doesn't count, sorry.

Old November 27th 05, 04:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Both sides should have known better and gotten everything in writing
with
very specific details as to what they were getting for X amount of
money
raised.