Pynchon - "Gravity's Rainbow"

Old July 23rd 03, 01:59 PM
Art Layton

Default Pynchon - "Gravity's Rainbow"

Picked up a copy to read from the library yesterday. After 75 pages of
reading, still can't find a plot or understand any of the characters.
Am I missing something? Why is this book so collectible? Will start
Proust tomorrow.

Art Layton
Stamford CT
Old July 23rd 03, 09:18 PM
KL7

Our distinguished colleague, "Art Layton" scribed:

Picked up a copy to read from the library yesterday. After 75 pages of
reading, still can't find a plot or understand any of the characters.
Am I missing something? Why is this book so collectible? Will start
Proust tomorrow.

Those who find the book difficult (nearly everyone) will find more
appreciation of Pynchon's masterpiece by acquiring the guide:

A "Gravity's Rainbow" Companion: Sources and Contexts for Pynchon's
Novel by Steven C. Weisenburger

--
(USA)
Old July 24th 03, 01:16 AM
Randy Burns

Watch out for the disappointing ending! Proust is better, or you could try
Pynchon's first book V.

Randy

Old July 24th 03, 07:07 AM
Jon Meyers

"Randy Burns" wrote...
KL7 wrote...
Our distinguished colleague, "Art Layton" scribed:

Picked up a copy to read from the library yesterday. After 75 pages of
reading, still can't find a plot or understand any of the characters.
Am I missing something? Why is this book so collectible? Will start
Proust tomorrow.

Watch out for the disappointing ending! Proust is better, or you could

try
Pynchon's first book V.

Or "The Crying of Lot 49," the shortest and the most accessible of his early
books--and many think it's the best thing he's written.

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

Old July 25th 03, 08:39 AM
Syd Torres

Thank God I'm not the only one! I have been a reader all my life, consider
my sell fairly literate and well-read but have NEVER been able to get
through a Pynchon book. It was my "dirty little secret," never admitted it
in polite society. I think the publishing world it putting one over on us.

OK, I'm ready to get blasted now by the all the people who think he's the
greatest literary genius of all time and I'm just too dumb to get it.

om...

Old July 25th 03, 03:36 PM
Brian Thomas

OK,

Since everyone else is 'fessing up, I have tried several times over the past
ten years and just can't do it. The embarrassing part is that I am a
collector of several postmodern authors who supposedly owe a great deal to
Pynchon (Don Delillo, David Foster Wallace, etc.). I made it through DFW's
"Infinite Jest" with no problems (it is often called "the Gravity's Rainbow
of the 90's" because it was on everyone's must read list but no one actually
read it). I often think about trying Gravity's Rainbow again, but it stays
on the bottom of my reading stack because there is always something more
appealing, and less frustrating, demanding my time.

Brian Thomas

"Syd Torres" wrote in message
Thank God I'm not the only one! I have been a reader all my life,

consider
my sell fairly literate and well-read but have NEVER been able to get
through a Pynchon book. It was my "dirty little secret," never admitted

it
in polite society. I think the publishing world it putting one over on

us.

OK, I'm ready to get blasted now by the all the people who think he's the
greatest literary genius of all time and I'm just too dumb to get it.

om...

Old July 25th 03, 05:16 PM
Randy Burns

John A. Stovall wrote in message

I will agree "The Crying of Lot 49" is his most accessible and I read
it when it came out and still re-read it. I followed it with "V" and
"Gravity's Rainbow". "Gravity's Rainbow" to me is the best of the
late 20th Century American novels. But I found "Vineland" unreadable.

I confess I actually enjoyed reading Vineland (BTW for those who don't know
"V" is his first book and Vineland came out in the early 90's). Vineland is
just an ordinary novel in many ways, much more accessible than Gravity's
Rainbow. Rainbow did pick up for me by the time I got into it but the
deliberately disappointing ending (maybe 100 pages) was a downer, still it
is one of the few books of that time period that is likely to be read 100
years from now and make lists of great American novels. The Crying of Lot
49 was good but too short.

Randy

Old July 25th 03, 11:11 PM
Norm Clerman

Hello everyone,

You know this really won't do, discussing the contents of books, in
this newsgroup.

Wurlitzer Rainbow Walter Juke Boxes 2 January 6th 05 05:08 AM
Bidville, ( Masonic, Shriner's, O.E.S., DeMolay, Rainbow Girls. Ceramanic Dolls, Colhing r*gb-79 General 0 July 6th 04 04:33 AM
FA: Wurlitzer Rainbow CD Jukebox Steve L. Juke Boxes 0 March 21st 04 08:21 PM
Rock-ola rainbow color sheets? mike Juke Boxes 0 January 11th 04 05:13 PM