Shock Horror !

Old July 16th 03, 02:57 PM
diane.walker

"Richard Moriarty" wrote in message
om...
Dick Weaver wrote:
The books brought from you can be used for any purpose: propping up
short table legs, starting fires,

When one of my kids gets a cold, I run to their bedroom to check which
weighty tomes my wife has used to prop up the end of their bed, in
line with her theories on drainage.

Horrific. Worse than reading.

Richard.

Books used as a snot cyphon, now that is a new one.
Diane

Old July 16th 03, 03:06 PM
Mark

Now this raises an interesting quesiton. Does anyone remember the book "A
1001 (or was it 101) Uses for a Dead Cat"? Perhaps we could write our own
book; "A 1001 Uses for a Dead Book?" Use No. 1: Snot cyphon. Perhaps a large
stack of them in the back of your pickup to help with traction during
winter?
--Mark.

Old July 17th 03, 08:10 AM
John R. Yamamoto- Wilson

Mark wrote:

This book, after being placed in this
nice protective container, had passed from collector to collector and from
dealer to dealer for nealry two decades without anyone bothering to open

it
and actually read it (or even inspect it).

grouch html/start
It doesn't surprise me. I'm frequently struck by evidence that sellers, both
in bricks and mortar shops and online haven't examined their books
thoroughly or, if they have, have chosen to leave untouched things like
creased corners and deposits of dust between the pages.

It really wouldn't take very long to wipe off a bit of dust and uncrease a
few corners. It would show a healthy respect for the material and help to
give the book a cared-for feel. Such rudimentary cosmetic improvements are
second nature with me to such an extent that I frequently find myself
unfolding creases or swishing at dust with my handkerchief while browsing in
bookstores!

I do know one or two bookstores I will pardon for failing to cherish their
books in these kinds of ways, since in their case this failing seems to go
hand in hand with a tendency to overlook authors' signatures, manuscript
letters and other details that might push the price of the book considerably
higher. But I suspect many sellers consider inspecting a book is a matter of
checking the title and copyright page, checking for authors' inscriptions
and then just flicking through for laid-in material (or perhaps holding the
book up by its hinges and giving it a shake to see if anything falls out!).

That, at least, is the impression I get from quite a few dealers of books
from, say, Victorian times onwards. Quite a lot of my 17th century material
comes from dealers who have at least checked that the book collates complete
but who, nevertheless, have not bothered to wipe off dust or uncrease folds
in the pages. And as for the bindings! Well, I recognise that there are
different schools of thought when it comes to the treatment of leather
bindings, but I don't think any of them advocate just leaving a
centuries-old accumulation of dust and crud. Apart from anything else,
surely people would part with their money more readily for a book that looks
cared for?

Perhaps I'm just fussy, but it seems odd to me that people who theoretically
love books don't take such simple measures.
grouch html/end

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old July 17th 03, 03:36 PM
Lin Digs Books

"John R. Yamamoto- Wilson" wrote in message ...
Mark wrote:

[...]

I guess I'm just a fussbudget, too. Not only do I clean the book and
the dust jacket, I even wipe down paperbacks! I am so good!

Seriously, though, I can't stand to go in a bookstore and feel grit
and sludge and insects and generall all-around nastiness on the books.
So I don't want my customers to feel that either.

It takes longer to get them out on the shelves but I think clean books
sell better. Please tell me I'm not wrong.

Lindig
Old July 17th 03, 06:31 PM
john .j.morton.

MindElec wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:06:56 +0100, "diane.walker"
declared:

Someone just e-mailed me to let me know how much he enjoyed reading the book
he bought of me on ebay. I immediately informed him that books bought from
me are for collectors only, and should not be opened under any
circumstances.
This whole episode gave me a nasty turn. I'm just off to iron my dust
jackets.

READ THEM! *gasp* don't they know that they are to be used strictly
as decoration to make one look "smart" in front of friends?

robert

"I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen"

REAL WEIRD PEOPLE...us "BOOK COLLECTORS"
John.
Old July 18th 03, 08:27 AM
Bill Marsilii

While we're on the subject of (gulp!) READING collectible old books...

I confess I'm a complete novice at this -- don't even consider myself a
"collector" so much as an avid reader of vintage fiction. And when I do read
it, I find the experience much more gratifying when it's from an antique book
in VG or better condition.

But now I'm starting to worry that I'm somehow doing the book a disservice;
that if I want to read it, I should acquire the crappiest legible copy
available, as opposed to a nice one.

I ask the panel here for advice, because I've just acquired an A.L. Burt
edition (undated, but about 1921) edition of Jeffery Farnol's THE BROAD
HIGHWAY, in fine condition with a fairly good dustjacket. (No Brodart on the
cover.)

Now, I bought it to read as well as display later, so the first thing I've done
is to very gingerly slide the dustjacket off for safekeeping. The hardcover is
bound in cloth.

I've only read the first 20 pages, but I stopped there because I became
concerned that the moisture from my hand as I (lightly!) held the book might
begin to damage the cloth cover. I noticed a slight ripple in the back cover
where my hand had been, though being a novice I couldn't say whether or not
that had been there already.

Now, for all I know, everyone here is screaming at their monitors "YOU IDIOT!
HOW COULD YOU???" right about now, but please forgive that; as I say, I'm only
a fellow book lover, not a knowledgable collector. And I do crave any advice
on the matter.

Would a simple cheap paper cover (and gentle handling throughout, of course) be
enough to protect a well-bound vintage book over the course of a reading? Or
is that a collector's sacrilege, the equivalent of pulling a proof Liberty Head
silver dollar out of its plastic to buy a bag of Doritos with it?

Any advice on the subject will be most welcome. I just to want to curl up with
an old book without fear that it will then start curling up on ME.

Bill Marsilii

http://www.wordplayer.com/pros/pr03.Marsilii.Bill.html
Old July 18th 03, 02:26 PM
Mark

I read the books I collect, even if I only read them once and put them right
back in the lovingly handmade cases I have for them. Knowing how some
collectors feel about these issues, I do sometimes include a cheap reading
copy (if I have one around) for lagniappe if someone buys a collectable from
me. But I wouldnt worry so much. Just dont eat while you read and dont
misplace the jacket while you're reading it. (I've done that more times than
I care to remember)You might also consider reading seated at a clean table,
so the book can lie flat while you read, and if youre really worried a set
of white gloves will help. I've never read one of my books with gloves on,
but I do know collectors who have.

Old July 20th 03, 04:05 AM
Mike Berro

I bought a set of cheap white gloves, but very rarely use them. While owning
a rare book is in some ways a "sacred trust", I hope no one will begrudge me
my opportunity to add my "normal wear and tear" while reading. There is
something satisfying about owning a first (or otherwise special) edition,
but it's an even better feeling to read it. However, if it's too fragile,
one must forgo the experience. I put "brodarts" on all my books, valuable or
not.

Farnol is great reading. I have a few firsts. My favorite copy is:
Farnol, Jeffery Charmian, Lady Vibart 1932 Sampson Low, Marston & Co.
London. First edition. Inscribed and signed by the author "To Harry Preston
from his truly affectionate friend Jeffery Farnol 1932." Rebound in red half
calf with gilt titling and raised ribs. Fine.

---Mike
http://www.booktouronline.com

rthlink.net...

Old July 20th 03, 05:33 AM
Preston

spam (Bill Marsilii) wrote in message ...
Any advice on the subject will be most welcome. I just to want to curl up with
an old book without fear that it will then start curling up on ME.

Bill Marsilii

http://www.wordplayer.com/pros/pr03.Marsilii.Bill.html

Bill,
You bought the books, so you can do anything you want to with them.
I buy books, some of them I read, some of them I don't. Some I just
look at the pictures, some I flip through the index and find a
paragraph or two which interests me. I don't still have all the books
I've ever owned, and the one's I have now I've dragged along with me
for whatever reason.
Don't me intimidated, enjoy your books.

Preston
Lost Archives Cafe
http://members.aol.com/lostarchives/home.html
Old July 22nd 03, 05:56 AM
Richard Moriarty

"Mark" wrote:
You might also consider reading seated at a clean table,
so the book can lie flat while you read,

@#$%& LIE FLAT !!!!???
:-)

As a fiscally challenged book collector, when I say 'vintage' I'm
talking paperback. If I lie one of the books *I* collect flat, there's
this intestine-twisting CRUNCH sound and all the pages fall out on the
floor :-)

When I'm reading I hold the object of lust in the air (never let the
spine contact a surface!) and, cradling the covers in a gentle inward
arc, open to an angle less than 45 degrees and peer. Try not to read
anything too racy, and you can save the white glove money to buy
another first thus.

Richard.