Mistake in last post the model i am having a problem with is a 496

Old April 7th 09, 07:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
vidkiller13

Default Mistake in last post the model i am having a problem with is a 496

have a rockola 496 and am having a problem with the selector
buttons
anytime a selection is made ending in 9 or 8 i get an error display
im pretty new to jukes and could use some advise on this there
doesnt
seem to be too much info on jukes on line
thanks for any help

Old April 15th 09, 05:25 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

vidkiller13 wrote:
have a rockola 496 and am having a problem with the selector
buttons
anytime a selection is made ending in 9 or 8 i get an error display
im pretty new to jukes and could use some advise on this there
doesnt
seem to be too much info on jukes on line
thanks for any help

Well, I do not have the manual handy, but does that machine have
selections that END in 8 & 9? If you can press 8 & 9 as a middle digit,
then check the ferris wheel numbering to see if 8 & 9 are used as last
numbers for any records. You might have the wrong title strip holder
that have the 8 & 9...

Just a thought - as I say I do not have the manual...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old April 15th 09, 07:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
vidkiller13

--
* * (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the newsgroup)
* John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9

i checked on that it definatly has the selections on the carosel for
the #s ending in 8 & 9
i just received the manual from victory glas and it is not a complete
manual no real help on this problem
anyone have the complete manual for a rockola 496-2 ?
Old April 21st 09, 02:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
vidkiller13

vidkiller13 wrote:
[...]

anyone have the complete manual for a rockola 496-2 *?- Hide quoted text -

Old April 21st 09, 06:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

vidkiller13 wrote:
[...]

I did a check on manuals around that period and there are only 8
selection banks of 20 pins each for 160 selections.

If you look at the schematic you should see a diagram for the selection
disc (the pins that flip back and forth) - note that the wipers are
counted from 0 through 7 - giving you 8 total wipers. Then note that
there are ten stopping points where the hammers can go in or out to
make the side selection.

So, your machine IS working correctly - there are no selections such as
128, 129, 228, 229, 188, 189, 288, 289, 199, 299,..., etc. simply are
not allowed as the basket is not set up for 100 45s...

Your title rack should agree with the above - no numbers ending with 8
or 9 are shown.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old April 25th 09, 07:58 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
vidkiller13

vidkiller13 wrote:
[...]

* * * *"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."- Hide quoted text -

i appreciate the reponse
my machine doesnt have the selection disc this machine is solid
state. it has a controller box ( about 1988 ive been told) with a
dip switch bank and a few test buttons
the title strips do have selections ending in 8 & 9 and it is 200
selection machine ( 100 45s)
do you have a complete manual for a 496 - 2 ?
thanks for the response not sure where else to find out more info
on jukes .
Old April 26th 09, 11:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
jimw

vidkiller13 wrote:
[...]

on jukes .- Hide quoted text -

I also have a Rockola 496-2 and might be able to shed a little light
on the topic. Like you, I have been searching for months trying to
find somebody with a complete 496 manual but still cannot find one
anywhere. I did however find on the last page of my 490/494 manual a
single page titled "496 Pricing Procedure" (Why this info is in with
the 490/494 is a mystery to me.) and at the bottom there is
information about the Dip Switch Settings for the S3 Control Unit.
Switch 7 says "Mech. 200/160 Selections. On your juke, possibly the
dip switch is in the wrong position which causes an ERR message on the
display when you select a selection with 8 or 9 at the end. Just a
hunch, I really don't know, but you might try switching it and see if
you can then select your full 200 selections. If you want a copy of
that page, just let me know and I'll scan it for you.

My 496 is actually an XCD model with a Poineer CD player. The carousel
on mine has a nylon strip blocking the slots for 108 and on. I can't
read the rest of the numbers because the strip is blocking the
numbers. Twenty slots total are blocked off, probably for selections
from the CD player. I've been trying to find a complete manual so I
can use the CD selections.... I just can't seem to figure out how to
set it up to play CD's. I just get ERR message when I try to select
push a button with one of the 5,6,7,8 numbers on the title strip
holder. I can't figure out what combinations are needed to make the CD
player select. Sure could use some help with this from anyone with one
of these Rockola 496 jukes!
---Jim in Vermont
Old April 27th 09, 08:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

vidkiller13 wrote:
[...]

Ah, I was not aware that model was digital - sorry.

http://www.victoryglass.com does show that they have a service manual
(37-5761) for the 496 series and that would be a good place to start.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old April 28th 09, 01:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
jimw

vidkiller13 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the Victory Glass manual number John. I had not noticed the
1000 manual also had info on the 496. I'll order it up and see if it
has the CD programming info i'm looking for.
As always, your suggestions are much appreciated to all of us!
---Jim