(RCSD) Curiosity Corner #352. errors.

Old September 14th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default (RCSD) Curiosity Corner #352. errors. More curiosity.

"David French" wrote in message
BTW, in German, French, Romanian, Russian an angel is a mail, excuse
the
foreign stamp collector..., a male.

No, definitely not. An angel is neither male nor female, it is a mix of
both. If you look at an angel, you can see whatever you want to see.

Peter

The sex of angels is a subject as old as the Christianity itself, and I'm
not a scholar in it, especially since I need glasses... :-)

I have just noticed that gramatically, in the mentioned languages, the
angels have the male gender. In English, well, the gender is not obvious.

--

Hmmm.... As I recall, Satan was an angel before 'HIS' fall from grace,
so does that make 'HIM' male / female / both / neither??

David, confused!

Hi David. When asked by the Poet why, being second only to God, one would
rebel, the answer was, if I remember correctly: Because it is nobler to the
mind to rule in hell than to serve in heaven. Does that help you any in
deciding gender? I was asked that very question in the early 70s and I
still don't have an answer.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Old September 14th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"David French" wrote in message
BTW, in German, French, Romanian, Russian an angel is a mail, excuse
the
foreign stamp collector..., a male.

No, definitely not. An angel is neither male nor female, it is a mix of
both. If you look at an angel, you can see whatever you want to see.

Peter

The sex of angels is a subject as old as the Christianity itself, and I'm
not a scholar in it, especially since I need glasses... :-)

I have just noticed that gramatically, in the mentioned languages, the
angels have the male gender. In English, well, the gender is not obvious.

Hmmm.... As I recall, Satan was an angel before 'HIS' fall from grace,
so does that make 'HIM' male / female / both / neither??

If we admit that an angel is an "it", then we infer that HIM is an IT (from
Information Technology :-)

Returning to our topics, here some ITS on Stamps:
http://www.artonstamps.org/Topicals/Devils/devils.htm

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

David, confused!

Old September 14th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Sep 14, 11:00?am, "Victor Manta" wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Sep 14, 9:04 pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

BTW, in German, French, Romanian, Russian an angel is a mail, excuse the
foreign stamp collector..., a male.
Victor Manta

Well I looked at my 80 or so collection,
and apart from Romanino's angels, Victor
they all apeared female.
(even Durer's "angel of the apocolypse" on the aust aerogramme)

We shall have to adopt Raphael's muse
http://cjoint.com/data/joqLwMIKcY.htm

Maybe we can agree on this:

"Yes, angels are men and women in the fullest sense who live together as
married couples, each individual being united with the partner God has
prepared for them. Often this is with the one with whom he or she spent
their time on earth. Angels look handsome or beautiful, having grown ever
more youthful in appearance from the time they arrive in the after-life; the
men strong but tender, the women beautiful and kind, and each radiating love
to all."

http://www.spiritualwisdom.org.uk/angel-gender.htm

As for the "Raphael's muse" above, these angels are already fallen ;-)

Yep, found the "fallen" duo and painted them with me own two 'ands.
I even made the Cherubs for USPS ( Scott 2948 ) back in 1995 sans the
tobacco and alcohol by order of the US Government.
You guys ain't spelling my name right.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old September 14th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

ups.com...

"Rod" wrote in message

[...]

Oops, sorry Ralph. Correction and amplification:

http://cjoint.com/data/joqLwMIKcY.htm
Two Fallen ITS, a masterwork by Ralphael, the OLD one

--
Victor Manta

Old September 15th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

Default (RCSD) Curiosity Corner #352. errors.

The Mulready envelope,
the Angel in the top right side corner
has only one leg.

Why is that an error, perhaps she only had one leg !.

A seraphic monopod.

Old September 15th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_4_]

Victor Manta wrote :
Returning to our topics, here some ITS on Stamps:
http://www.artonstamps.org/Topicals/Devils/devils.htm

Hi Victor,

Thanks for reminding us this page.
Which (should I spell it witch ? :-) is *diablement* intéressante !

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old September 15th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Sep 15, 3:12 am, "Tony Vella" wrote:

Hi David. When asked by the Poet why, being second only to God, one would
rebel, the answer was, if I remember correctly: Because it is nobler to the
mind to rule in hell than to serve in heaven. Does that help you any in
deciding gender? I was asked that very question in the early 70s and I
still don't have an answer.

Interesting!

On a personal basis, I always treated Angels as a metaphor
for glad tidings, I sang in a choir in a Cathedral as a youngster,
and Angels were common coinage, yet I never construed
them to have any validity other than in treatment of emotion.

We were of Henry the eighth's mob, protestants, and church
and religion were a family affair, acceptable as the daily
routine of eating. Religion was not jammed down our throats,
but a set of rules to aspire to, angels were the tinsel
of the time of year, the most aspired to job of placing one (angel)
on top of the radiata pine.
This was a time when children, accepted and got in their
Christmas stockings, fruit and nuts and sometimes, home made toys.

Old September 15th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Pierre COURTIADE" wrote in message
Hi Victor,

Thanks for reminding us this page.
Which (should I spell it witch ? :-) is *diablement* intéressante !

Hi, Pierre!

Quel plaisir de vous lire en français, in a group that accepts all
languages.

I'm glad that you liked again this "fallen angels" page. The impulse to do
it came actually from this very ng.
http://www.artonstamps.org/Topicals/Devils/devils.htm

BTW, I suddenly understood today why in certain languages they have
expressions like "krasiv kak chort" (beautiful like a devil).

Still remember the French movie "The Beauty of the Devil", with superbe
Gérard Philipe, and also with Michel Simon (a Swiss) and Paolo Stoppa? Or
the modern, beautiful devil, portrayed by Brad Pitt in Meet Joe Black (with
Anthony Hopkins and fine Claire Forlani)?

Well, it's not only that the devils have to be beautiful because their
"task" is to seduce their (not necessarily innocent) victims but also
because in the beginning they were... angels.

Of course, in time they loose their beauty, because of their hard work and
the difficult working conditions (haven't heard of trade unions there down
yet), just that, being immortal, they measure their time in a different way,
so that their beauty lasts for a looong time.

Old September 15th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Sep 14, 7:34?pm, "Gazza" wrote:
The Mulready envelope,
the Angel in the top right side corner
has only one leg.

Why is that an error, perhaps she only had one leg !.

A seraphic monopod.

Actually the Angel has two legs. The legs of this Angel are tightly
clamped together. By holding the legs tightly together it creates much
less drag when flying and one can gain some speed. Ask any Skydiver
abiyt this.

RyOo

Old September 15th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 14, 7:34?pm, "Gazza" wrote:
The Mulready envelope,
the Angel in the top right side corner
has only one leg.

Why is that an error, perhaps she only had one leg !.

A seraphic monopod.

Actually the Angel has two legs. The legs of this Angel are tightly
clamped together. By holding the legs tightly together it creates much
less drag when flying and one can gain some speed. Ask any Skydiver
abiyt this.

I can't imagine why a _normal_ painter would present an one legged angel,
this because an angel must be perfect.

As for angels' speed, I suppose that it is actually unlimited, and this
independently of their flying position :-) That's explains how they can be
everywhere all around the clock.