AMI "C"

Old December 27th 06, 06:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Terry S

Default AMI "C"

Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy an AMI "C" at what I think is a decent
price... opinions on this juke?
It's in near perfect shape, converted to play 45's. What exactly is the
issue with the blue collars/rings involved in using a box like this for
45's?

Thanks

Terry.

Old December 27th 06, 10:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
indy-gus

You run the risk of breaking your 45's taking them in/out of the rings.
Also, I believe this is a 40 selection box - so if you are using
regular 45's as opposed to jukebox 45's (hits on both sides), then you
will only have twenty or so "good" songs. Not enough to sustain a good
evening with.
It is a great looking box, good mono sound - but thats about it.

Gus

Old December 27th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Charley

My opinions? It's BIG (reminds me of a cumulus cloud), not the best
sounding, but does OK for it's age, if it has had the amplifier overhauled
and the cartridge replaced. The blue plastic rings were the common method
used to make 45s fit in a 78 machine. They work OK on original (thick) 45s,
but you may experience slipping when using the reproduction 45s (old song
recently pressed on new vinyl) because they are now being made thinner. Best
fix that I know of is to carefully apply a small piece of scotch tape to
join the record edge to the disk somewhere where it won't hit the tone arm
or needle. This only needs to be a small piece. It will act as a "key" and
prevent the 45 from slipping in the groove of the blue ring. The original 78
tracking force is too high for 45 records and must be reduced (if it hasn't
been done already) and the needle must be changed (if it hasn't been done
already). Be careful inserting the 45s into the blue rings or removing them.
It's very easy to break the record or the ring when doing this.

--
Charley

oups.com...

Old December 28th 06, 03:17 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Terry S

Well, I went to go see the "C" tonight... quite an experience. The
jukebox was nice, unrestored original, 99% complete and nice looking.
Big monster, not what I really wanted. But the real story was the
seller! As soon as we walked in, before actually, the whole place
REEKED of pot. There was a blue haze in the air... thick with smoke. We
stayed just a few minutes and come out of there so pot-smoke saturated
we had to leave our coats in the garage when we got home. I swear I
still have the munchies...

Anyway this seller was selling the machine for $700 and needed the
money to pay her back taxes.... apparently she can afford lots of pot
but can't pay her taxes on time...

The juke did have 30 of the blue rings... any know what they are? They
look like catalin plastic.

Terry.

On Dec 27, 4:48 pm, "Charley" wrote:
[...]

"Terry S" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy an AMI "C" at what I think is a decent
price... opinions on this juke?
It's in near perfect shape, converted to play 45's. What exactly is the
issue with the blue collars/rings involved in using a box like this for
45's?

Thanks

Terry.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old December 29th 06, 07:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
mmplain

Default AMI

Keep in mind that if the top mirror is cracked or missing it is super tough
to find a replacement.

Old December 30th 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

I bought one a couple of years ago from Ken Arnold (aka, A-1) for a
customer's C. Did they really stop re-producing them????!!!! If so,
couldn't a local glass company cut one to fit? Forget the cost......if
you need one, you NEED one. Rob

Old December 30th 06, 01:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
mmplain

Last time I checked nobody was reproducing them. It's not in the A-1
catalog. I always hear that somebody still makes them but can never get
any actual contact info. You can have a glass company cut one but then
there is still the problem of the frosted area around the edge. If there
is a source for these I would love to find one.

Old December 31st 06, 02:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

Oh Terry that was funny ! .. This one ?

http://www.pinballrebel.com/archive/ami/amic/amic.htm

If so
I would go back & get it without hesitation . Wear a mask or take some
spray along :-) . It could be switched back to 78 or in the case of 45`s
you can put two 45`s with good songs on one side together and solve the
slipping problem . I double 45`s in one of my machines .
If that were in my driving distance it would be IN MY garage airing out

Old January 1st 07, 05:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Terry S

Jen,

The lady told me she had another buyer, and my wife wasn't enthralled
by it, so I let it go. Then it showed up on ebay the other day...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5380&rd=1&rd=1

So there it is...

Terry.