Rowe/Ami moving to Mexico

Old March 1st 09, 08:41 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John P. Dayhuff

Default Rowe/Ami moving to Mexico

This was in todays paper. There moving from Grand Rapids Michigan to
Mexico.

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/a...D=200990227010

--
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.

I've broken my pinball bank........

Old March 2nd 09, 12:38 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

It was announced in the Friday Feb 27, 2009 Playmeter Magazine
breaking news:

More details available on integration plan for Merit Entertainment and
Rowe International: In an interview this afternoon, Mike Maas,
President and CEO of both Merit Entertainment and Rowe International,
told Play Meter that Merit and Rowe will operate as one company with
multiple sites. While manufacturing will move to Reynoso, Mexico,
Merit will maintain its new administrative offices in Bristol, Pa.,
and Rowe will maintain its administrative offices in Grand Rapids,
Mich. Maas explained, "We will keep personnel in both locations, but
we will operate in a unified, single company manner." He also affirmed
that the Merit, Rowe, and AMI brands would continue to be leaders in
the marketplace.

"This decision is more about how we operate effectively and
efficiently," said Maas, adding, "Having two companies with parallel
structures and duplication of effort was an opportunity for
improvement. This plan will position us for success in 2009 without
diminishing our product capability, sales capability, or customer
support capability. These remain as strong, or stronger, than ever.
For example, our software development team is in full force." Plans
call for a re-alignment of sales territories. Maas said the net effect
of that consolidation would effectively put more people in direct
contact with customers.

Maas did acknowledge that these changes would impact some individuals.
For example, Bob Mills, Vice President of Sales for Merit, and Jim
Stelzer, Vice President of Intellectual Property and Technical
Development, will no longer be with Merit, and other staff members
could function in different roles. Maas said, "We are doing everything
we can to make sure people are supported through outplacement
services, which will continue through the manufacturing transition.
"These are important people who have contributed to the success of
Merit and Rowe, and we want to take care of them to the best of our
abilities."

In conclusion, Maas said, "We are now prepared for whatever comes in
2009. I believe that coin drop has remained strong. I think we need
more confidence that investing in products right now will be a good
investment. There are mechanisms in place with the new technology that
we are bringing to the market that will help the operating community."
Both Merit and Rowe are moving forward with their plans for new
product introductions.

Only actual manufacturing operations will go to Mexico. Admistrative
offices stay where they are.

Old March 2nd 09, 01:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken In Texas

Yeah, outsource the common mans job to Mexico and keep corporate in the
states...they shouldn't do this. Jukeboxes are American made products...

Well at least rockolas are still made in the US

Ken Layton wrote:

[...]

http://www.pinballrebel.com
Custom Pinball Cards, Jukeboxes, Drive In's

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas.
If he is, he'll tell you on his own.
If he ain't, no need to embarrass him."
Old March 2nd 09, 08:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
KR

On Mar 2, 11:16*am, Ken In Texas wrote:
Yeah, outsource the common mans job to Mexico and keep corporate in the
states...they shouldn't do this. *Jukeboxes are American made products....

Well at least rockolas are still made in the US

How long for though - if AMI can make and sell one substantially
cheaper, ops will be forced to buy, and rock will be forced to do the
same or close

If it makes you feel better, It isnt just the US, they have been doing
this sort of thing in Aus too.

As a bonus, the *******s at the top tend to give themselves HUGE pay
rises and bonuses for doing this,and also don't leave !

People voted in a left wing government in late 07, who so far has
introduced hard-line "union friendly" policies from out of the dark
ages, and now have some stupid plan for "carbon taxing" - just a "tax
dressed up in drag" (even though its been well and truly proven here
that man-made carbon emission has nil effect on global warming) this
has seen businesses either relocating manufacturing to Asia (china) or
closing completely at a rapid rate.

Some other local industries (such as the outdated, low quality,
overpriced and inefficient car industry) that should have gone years
ago, keep being propped up with taxpayers money instead of being let
go to the wall as they should. The only acceptable vehicles they sell
are smaller cars manufactured and brought from Europe or Asia, and
with local brands put on them and a hefty price tag.

Other wonderful extras the ordinary person is copping at the moment
include a $100 per year per cat (feline) tax, proposed pet bird bans,
a toilet flush tax (flushes will be metered) and doubling the
electricity costs, Nazi style mandatory internet censorship (not in
yet but they are trying) .
You in the US are lucky you still have the right to own guns. Have a
feeling you might need them before too long................

Oh, and for ops, approx $400 pa jukebox "performing rights" fees from.
(about $800 if video juke).

(the US is being blamed for most of the problems also)

The press release (below) from AMI is just full of so much PC spin it
makes me want to throw up all over the floor just reading first
paragraph.

Old March 14th 09, 02:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

"People voted in a left wing government in late 07, who so far has
introduced hard-line "union friendly" policies from out of the dark
ages, and now have some stupid plan for "carbon taxing" - just a "tax
dressed up in drag" (even though its been well and truly proven here
that man-made carbon emission has nil effect on global warming) this
has seen businesses either relocating manufacturing to Asia (china)
or
closing completely at a rapid rate. "

I totally agree. I can't understand why that they think Mexico would
be a better place to build the machines. We have lots of capacity in
the US, and the Mexican government is corrupt. They will have half
there equipment ripped off.

I guess we reap what we sew.

Old March 15th 09, 02:15 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
KR

On Mar 15, 12:36*am, wrote:
"People voted in a left wing government in late 07, who so far has
introduced hard-line "union friendly" policies from out of the dark
ages, and now have some stupid plan for "carbon taxing" - just a "tax
dressed up in drag" (even though its been well and truly proven here
that man-made carbon emission has nil effect on global warming) this
has seen businesses either relocating manufacturing to Asia (china)
or
closing completely at a rapid rate. "

I totally agree. *I can't understand why that they think Mexico would
be a better place to build the machines. *We have lots of capacity in
the US, and the Mexican government is corrupt. *They will have half
there equipment ripped off.

Those Mexican "drug gang wars" we are seeing constantly on the news
here don't
really inspire confidence in the place either. Especially the article
about that lovely bloke
who was employed by the mob to get rid of bodies, and had dissolved
over 300 them in 44 gal drums of acid.

Will also be debatable about how much the recession (though I see now
its officially a depression) will
dent the juke manufacturers/distributors sales and profits -
regardless of any savings they may make moving their manufacturing
plant to Mexico. Will also screw them if they start bringing in
"tariffs" on foreign goods, but on the other hand we occasionally hear
about this story about the proposed "North American Union" where they
want to join mexico, canada and USA as one country.

I guess we reap what we sew.

Thats true, but the trouble is that those who didn't agree or support
rubbish policies, or even tried to fight them
end up reaping bad consequences along with all the ones that voted and
wanted these "problems" in the first place.
To add insult to injury, their money is taken to bail out the
dead****s.

I guess the only advantage they do have is that they had a good idea
in advance of what would happen as a result, that gives them more
chance to get out of the way of what will happen.

Need Advice On Moving a Rowe CD mmplain Juke Boxes 2 February 13th 07 12:02 AM
H.R. 902 is moving. shreadvector Coins 1 April 14th 05 09:16 PM
FS: rowe/ami parts; rowe, rockola, whurlitzer manuals stevethedomer Juke Boxes 0 October 26th 03 12:19 AM
Dan is moving Danspeakin 8 Track Tapes 1 August 16th 03 02:31 AM