Yard-O-Led Hallmarks and History

Old August 17th 05, 04:19 PM
June Hughes

In message , mz
writes
June Hughes wrote:

Being pedantic, Yard-o-Led is the name of the dormant company listed.
There is no actual company called Yard-o-Lead. I suspect a holding
company now produces the pens etc and the original company is kept
merely to protect the name, as already stated. That makes sense. I
am sure there is no expected 'demise', and have never said anything
of the sort. I cannot understand why you thought there should be.

Just an erroneous conclusion drawn from terms unfamiliar to me. I
equated "looked up Yard-o-lead Ltd on the *Companies House site* and it
filed *dormant accounts*" [emphasis added] in your original with
receivership or bankruptcy. Could you explain what the above means?

Just means the company is still alive but not trading. It therefore has
to file what are known as dormant accounts. Sorry, I expected people to
be familiar with the term when there is no reason for them to be so. I
didn't mean to insuIt your intelligence. I expect the trading is done
elsewhere within a group. As the company is still in existence, no-one
can form another company with the same name. Very important for such a
brand as that.
--
June Hughes
Old August 18th 05, 02:02 AM
mz

June Hughes wrote:

Just means the company is still alive but not trading. It therefore has
to file what are known as dormant accounts. Sorry, I expected people to
be familiar with the term when there is no reason for them to be so. I
didn't mean to insuIt your intelligence. I expect the trading is done
elsewhere within a group. As the company is still in existence, no-one
can form another company with the same name. Very important for such a
brand as that.

Thanks for the lesson, June. As the years pass I realize how much I
don't know and will never know, unfortunately. Please believe me
when I say I was sure no offense was meant and none was taken. ;0)

Thanks again,
Mark Z.
Old August 19th 05, 08:16 AM

HiRob

I've just noticed your Y o L posting and the related replies .

I have built up a collection of about 80 YoL items , going back to the
1930's . Like you , I have found it difficult to dig up any detailed
info on the company.

The histoical info in the replies to your original request is , as far
as I am aware , correct ( set up in 1934 , took over Baker and the
Mordan Patents etc.)

The current ownership position is , I think , as follows. The Y o L
brand is now owned by Filfax ( the personal organiser company ) which
is , I believe , in turn owned by Lettes ( best known for diaries ) .
The Filofax website has a link to a YoL site which contains a very
small amount of data on the company.

Y o L have a workshop/ factory in Birmingham ( UK) -- I may be able to
dig out the address sometime if you might be interested in contacting
them .

Why is there so little info available on this company??-- no idea!!

As far as the hallmarks are concerned , they will show the name of the
silversmith making the case ( J.M. E.B. or Y oL ) a symbol representing
the assay office which tested the silver content of the metal, 925 and
a lion which represents sterling silver , and a date letter. Agian , I
might be able to send you more info on these hall marks if you are
interested.

Hope this helps. It's good ( and unusual ) to find someone showing an
interest in Y o L -- I think these represent the very top of the range
in quality silver / gold writing instrument , but they don't seem to
have quite the image of brands such as Montblanc!!

Regards

MIKE

Rob wrote:
I am considering buying some vintage Yard-O-Led's and have been trying
to locate a web site or publication that descirbes history of their
manufacture and what the various hallmarks on the vintage pens mean.

So far, I have found nothing. Can anyone help me out with a ponter?

Thanks,
Rob

remove the underscore and the 123 in my address to reply directly

Old August 19th 05, 05:42 PM
BL

"June Hughes" wrote:

Yard-o-lead was so named because inside the base
of the barrel there are eight holes which contain
'leads' for refilling the pencil.

I read somewhere (you can probably find reference to it via Google) that
Yard-O-Led was so named because their pencils were designed to carry 12
3-inch (ergo a yard of) leads. -- B

Old August 19th 05, 06:30 PM
June Hughes

In message n_nNe.121$g47.63@trnddc07, BL
writes

"June Hughes" wrote:

Yard-o-lead was so named because inside the base
of the barrel there are eight holes which contain
'leads' for refilling the pencil.

I read somewhere (you can probably find reference to it via Google) that
Yard-O-Led was so named because their pencils were designed to carry 12
3-inch (ergo a yard of) leads. -- B

I have just looked at mine. One seems to have 12 holes (which would be
logical), one has four (a short 'ladies' pencil) and one has 8 holes.
--
June Hughes
Old August 19th 05, 07:19 PM
Stephen Hust

http://www.filofax.co.uk/corpsales/SEURLF/ASP/SFS/SFE/yardo.htm

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old August 19th 05, 10:29 PM
June Hughes

In message , Stephen Hust
writes
"BL" wrote:

I read somewhere (you can probably find reference to it via
Google) that Yard-O-Led was so named because their pencils were
designed to carry 12 3-inch (ergo a yard of) leads.

| All pencils contain one yard of lead (12 x 3 inch leads), hence
| the name Yard-O-Led

http://www.filofax.co.uk/corpsales/SEURLF/ASP/SFS/SFE/yardo.htm

Not all. (Although the one in question is around 60 years old - short
lady's pencil)..
--
June Hughes