Yard-O-Led Hallmarks and History

Old August 15th 05, 02:13 PM
Rob

Default Yard-O-Led Hallmarks and History

I am considering buying some vintage Yard-O-Led's and have been trying
to locate a web site or publication that descirbes history of their
manufacture and what the various hallmarks on the vintage pens mean.

So far, I have found nothing. Can anyone help me out with a ponter?

Thanks,
Rob

remove the underscore and the 123 in my address to reply directly

Old August 15th 05, 02:54 PM
June Hughes

In message . com, Rob
writes
I am considering buying some vintage Yard-O-Led's and have been trying
to locate a web site or publication that descirbes history of their
manufacture and what the various hallmarks on the vintage pens mean.

So far, I have found nothing. Can anyone help me out with a ponter?

Thanks,
Rob

remove the underscore and the 123 in my address to reply directly

They were originally made by a firm called Mordan, which was bombed out
during WWII. If you type the word Mordan into Google you will find
lots of info.
HTH
--
June Hughes
Old August 16th 05, 01:57 AM
mz

June Hughes wrote:
They were originally made by a firm called Mordan, which was bombed out
during WWII. If you type the word Mordan into Google you will find
lots of info.
HTH

Not quite correct. Let me quote Sue Courtier, Jane Marshall, and Jim
Marshall's wonderful, fact-packed book, "Collectible Pencils."
"Y-o-L was founded in 1934 by L. F. Brenner...After being bombed out
of business in 1941 they started again in 1946...In 1955 they
acquired Edward Baker and thereby the Mordan company patents..."

So Y-o-L acquired the company that had acquired Mordan, not the
other way around. Y-o-L pencils were not made by Mordan.

From the same source, "Hall marked [sic] pencils bear makers' names
JM & Co, Johnson Matthey & Co, E.B., Edward Baker and Y.O.L. Yard
O'Led."

HTH,
Mark Z.
Old August 16th 05, 10:59 AM
June Hughes

In message , mz
writes
June Hughes wrote:
They were originally made by a firm called Mordan, which was bombed
out during WWII. If you type the word Mordan into Google you will
find lots of info.
HTH

Not quite correct. Let me quote Sue Courtier, Jane Marshall, and Jim
Marshall's wonderful, fact-packed book, "Collectible Pencils." "Y-o-L
was founded in 1934 by L. F. Brenner...After being bombed out of
business in 1941 they started again in 1946...In 1955 they acquired
Edward Baker and thereby the Mordan company patents..."

So Y-o-L acquired the company that had acquired Mordan, not the other
way around. Y-o-L pencils were not made by Mordan.

From the same source, "Hall marked [sic] pencils bear makers' names JM
& Co, Johnson Matthey & Co, E.B., Edward Baker and Y.O.L. Yard O'Led."

Thank-you for the information. If you simply type 'Yard-O-Lead' into
Google you get no history at all - just lots of people trying to sell
pens. OTOH, If you type Mordan, you get a great deal of info.

For example if you look at the following:

http://www.jimgaston.com/faq.htm

Of course the info may be incorrect....................
--
June Hughes
Old August 16th 05, 02:24 PM
Rob

Mark - Does the "Collectible Pencils" book explain the various
hallmarks and how to date and authenticate YoL mechanical pencils? This
may be the book I've been looking for.

June - Thanks for the link and tip on Mordan. It provided some
information but a Google still yields a lot of people selling Mordan
pens. There needs to be a 'no sales/auctions' option.

Rob

Old August 16th 05, 05:36 PM
June Hughes

In message . com, Rob
writes
Mark - Does the "Collectible Pencils" book explain the various
hallmarks and how to date and authenticate YoL mechanical pencils? This
may be the book I've been looking for.

June - Thanks for the link and tip on Mordan. It provided some
information but a Google still yields a lot of people selling Mordan
pens. There needs to be a 'no sales/auctions' option.

Yes indeed. I looked up Yard-o-lead Ltd on the Companies House site and
it filed dormant accounts last year, so must just be kept to protect the
name now.
--
June Hughes
Old August 17th 05, 06:13 AM
mz

Rob wrote:

Mark - Does the "Collectible Pencils" book explain the various
hallmarks and how to date and authenticate YoL mechanical pencils? This
may be the book I've been looking for.

Sorry, Rob, it doesn't. I understand there are registries for
hallmarks, but I'm not familiar with them.

June - Thanks for the link and tip on Mordan. It provided some
information but a Google still yields a lot of people selling Mordan
pens. There needs to be a 'no sales/auctions' option.

You might try the advanced search to exclude terms. Looking at the
summaries of some of the pages you're not interested should give
some hints as to terms.

HTH,
Mark Z.
Old August 19th 05, 08:16 AM

HiRob

I've just noticed your Y o L posting and the related replies .

I have built up a collection of about 80 YoL items , going back to the
1930's . Like you , I have found it difficult to dig up any detailed
info on the company.

The histoical info in the replies to your original request is , as far
as I am aware , correct ( set up in 1934 , took over Baker and the
Mordan Patents etc.)

The current ownership position is , I think , as follows. The Y o L
brand is now owned by Filfax ( the personal organiser company ) which
is , I believe , in turn owned by Lettes ( best known for diaries ) .
The Filofax website has a link to a YoL site which contains a very
small amount of data on the company.

Y o L have a workshop/ factory in Birmingham ( UK) -- I may be able to
dig out the address sometime if you might be interested in contacting
them .

Why is there so little info available on this company??-- no idea!!

As far as the hallmarks are concerned , they will show the name of the
silversmith making the case ( J.M. E.B. or Y oL ) a symbol representing
the assay office which tested the silver content of the metal, 925 and
a lion which represents sterling silver , and a date letter. Agian , I
might be able to send you more info on these hall marks if you are
interested.

Hope this helps. It's good ( and unusual ) to find someone showing an
interest in Y o L -- I think these represent the very top of the range
in quality silver / gold writing instrument , but they don't seem to
have quite the image of brands such as Montblanc!!

Regards

MIKE