1st editions vs. collector editions

Old February 23rd 13, 10:56 PM
JenniferJiselle JenniferJiselle is offline
Junior Member

Default 1st editions vs. collector editions

I am new to collecting so pardon my ignorance. I recently read that it may be more valuable in the long run to collect leather-bound collector book copies rather than 1st editions. I question this and ask for some statement by an authority about this. Thank you.
Old February 24th 13, 06:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 2/23/2013 4:56 PM, JenniferJiselle wrote:
I am new to collecting so pardon my ignorance. I recently read that it
may be more valuable in the long run to collect leather-bound collector
book copies rather than 1st editions. I question this and ask for some
statement by an authority about this. Thank you.

Hi Jennifer,

I don't know how much of an authority I am, but I am a long time serious
collector, if that counts.

In general, assuming that the book is collectible in the first place, a
first trade edition is going to have more value than a leather bound
collector's edition that is not a limited first edition, even if the
latter is printed on acid-free paper and the trade first is not.

Now, if the leather bound book is a limited first edition, then the
values get closer and may tilt in favor of the leather limited first.
If one of them is signed, that fact will certainly tip the scales in
favor of that particular book. But probably a limited signed edition
from the first edition publisher will be worth more than a limited
signed leather bound first from a third party publisher.

Let's look at an example: William Styron, Sophie's Choice. This was
originally published by Random House in 1979. Franklin Library did a
Limited First Edition in 1979, but it was not signed. [Note: Limited
in the context of Franklin Library means limited to the number of
persons who subscribed to their First Editions Library.] Random House
did a (limited - 500 copies) Special Edition at the time of the Trade
First that was prepared as a set of presentation copies, which had a
signature page added and which was signed by Styron. Now search for
Styron, Sophie's Choice, first edition, on www.abebooks.com (advanced
search).

You will find that the signed limited Special Edition from Random House
has a much higher asking price than any other edition. Signed Trade
First Editions from Random come next. The Franklin Library Limited
First Editions follow and for the most part come ahead of the unsigned
trade firsts. There is always some price overlap, of course, depending
on various factors such as knowledge of the seller, seller's reputation,
need of the seller to sell, or condition of the book.

One more example: Joyce Carol Oates, Mysteries of Winterthurn (Dutton
1984) with a Signed Limited First Edition from the Franklin Library.
Consult ABE Books again, and you will find that the signed trade firsts
generally have a slightly higher asking price than the signed Franklins,
but it is fairly close.

As to leather bound books that are reprints, to have value they must be
well made. Examine the weight of the paper, be sure it is acid-free or
vellum or other high quality print surface. Look to the quality of
illustrations and who made them. Examine the endpapers to see if they
are of fine materials, e.g., silk moire. Does the binding use raised
bands to hold the book together? Is the leather thinly stretched across
the cover or is it plush and soft? Are the edges of the pages gilded?

The Folio Society of England puts out a truly first class product (not
leather) in a fine slipcase. E.g, Samuel Richardson, Clarissa (1991).
But that edition will never be worth as much as any of the 18th century
copies of the book.

I hope this has been useful to you.

Francis A. Miniter

Old February 24th 13, 07:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson[_2_]

"JenniferJiselle" wrote in
message . ..

I am new to collecting so pardon my ignorance. I recently read that it
may be more valuable in the long run to collect leather-bound collector
book copies rather than 1st editions. I question this and ask for some
statement by an authority about this. Thank you.

These are more like two markets than one. The first (common) consideration
is that high relative price correlates with scarcity: i.e. a first edition
that
is one of 3,000 is probably more valuable than a first edition that is one
of 20,000. Then the class of custom-bound editions overlaps with that
of first trade editions, but only partly. Thirdly literary reputation
(sometimes)
affects price, e.g. a first edn. Scott Fitzgerald is worth more than a first
edn. Warwick Deeping.

But (fourthly) the commercial market is crazy in that an intact dust jacket
can more than double the price. This is logical (#1, scarcity, above)
but nevertheless crazy from any reader's point of view.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old February 24th 13, 10:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 2/24/2013 1:37 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:
"JenniferJiselle" wrote in
message . ..

[...]

In fairness to the dust jacket concern, most people would pay a lot less
for a classic car, say a 1963 Cadillac Eldorado, if it had all of its
chrome removed. The car would not be a complete entity. The same for
books without their dust jackets. They are not complete entities as
originally sold.

Francis A. Miniter

Old February 26th 13, 01:11 AM
SpanishMill SpanishMill is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Phillipson[_2_] View Post
"the commercial market is crazy in that an intact dust jacket can more than double the price. This is logical (#1, scarcity, above) but nevertheless crazy from any reader's point of view.
A "reader" can pick up a paper back and be happy with it. A "collector" concerns himself with more than just reading a story.

Last edited by SpanishMill : February 26th 13 at 01:23 AM.
Old February 26th 13, 03:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 2/25/2013 7:11 PM, SpanishMill wrote:
'Don Phillipson[_2_ Wrote:
;694711']"the commercial market is crazy in that an intact dust jacket
can more than double the price. This is logical (#1, scarcity, above)
but nevertheless crazy from any reader's point of view.

A "reader" can pick up a paper back and be happy with it. A "collector"
concerns himself with more than just reading a story.

I am both a reader and a collector and I am not happy reading most
paperbacks. First of all, mass market books often have print that is
too small for comfortable reading. Trade papers often have covers that
curl up from usage. I much prefer to read a hard cover.

That said, there are some Philip Jose Farmer paperback firsts with the
Boris Vallejo covers that I would love to have.

Francis A. Miniter

Old March 9th 13, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Feb 24, 4:53*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

In fairness to the dust jacket concern, most people would pay a lot less
for a classic car, say a 1963 Cadillac Eldorado, if it had all of its
chrome removed. *The car would not be a complete entity. *The same for
books without their dust jackets. *They are not complete entities as
originally sold.

That's a great analogy. In line with other comments, of course one
could drive it just as well without the chrome, if that were your only
reason to own it...