(RCSD) Curiosity Corner #352. errors.

Old September 14th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default (RCSD) Curiosity Corner #352. errors.

The first philatelic error.

The Mulready envelope,
the Angel in the top right side corner
has only one leg.

Old September 14th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Sep 14, 8:23 pm, Alan wrote:

Why is that an error, perhaps she only had one leg !.

It is quite well known, that when the Angel sat for
Mulready, she had two.
In fact is was she, who used to make his favourite
aperetif, mulled wine.
I suppose you think he may have said,
"hop over to the kitchen for a glass of wine, will ya love?"

An Angel with one leg? sheesh.

Old September 14th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default (RCSD) Curiosity Corner #352. errors. More curiosity.

"Alan" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
The first philatelic error.

The Mulready envelope,
the Angel in the top right side corner
has only one leg.

Why is that an error, perhaps she only had one leg !.

Isn't an angel an "it"?

I'm asking because no scan was proposed..., but also because of this:

"Whilst artists avoided making the Virgin and saints too attractive, so that
inappropriate thoughts would not be aroused in the beholder, no such
constraint applied to angels, who have no sex."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel

--
Victor Manta

Old September 14th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Sep 14, 8:38 pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:

I'm asking because no scan was proposed...,

Scan for you,
the angel is above the reindeer and sled, just right of centre.
http://cjoint.com/data/jooNMpAul6.htm

"Whilst artists avoided making the Virgin and saints too attractive, so that
inappropriate thoughts would not be aroused in the beholder, no such
constraint applied to angels, who have no sex."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel

Well I married an Angel, Victor,
and she is most definitely female

Old September 14th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Rod" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 14, 8:38 pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:

I'm asking because no scan was proposed...,

Scan for you,
the angel is above the reindeer and sled, just right of centre.
http://cjoint.com/data/jooNMpAul6.htm

Thanks a lot!

"Whilst artists avoided making the Virgin and saints too attractive, so
that
inappropriate thoughts would not be aroused in the beholder, no such
constraint applied to angels, who have no
sex."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel

Well I married an Angel, Victor,
and she is most definitely female

You are a lucky men, Rod! :-)

I suppose that you'll find her name among the angels' names, he
http://die-ketzer.de/wiki/EngelsNamen

BTW, in German, French, Romanian, Russian an angel is a mail, excuse the
foreign stamp collector..., a male.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old September 14th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Sep 14, 9:04 pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

BTW, in German, French, Romanian, Russian an angel is a mail, excuse the
foreign stamp collector..., a male.
Victor Manta

Well I looked at my 80 or so collection,
and apart from Romanino's angels, Victor
they all apeared female.
(even Durer's "angel of the apocolypse" on the aust aerogramme)

We shall have to adopt Raphael's muse
http://cjoint.com/data/joqLwMIKcY.htm

(Image from Blair originally)

Old September 14th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Hansen

Victor Manta schrieb:

BTW, in German, French, Romanian, Russian an angel is a mail, excuse the
foreign stamp collector..., a male.

No, definitely not. An angel is neither male nor female, it is a mix of
both. If you look at an angel, you can see whatever you want to see.

Peter
--
AMD Athlon+ 2600 1 GB Ram
Opensuse 10.2
Old September 14th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

oups.com...
"Rod" wrote in message

BTW, in German, French, Romanian, Russian an angel is a mail, excuse the
foreign stamp collector..., a male.
Victor Manta

Well I looked at my 80 or so collection,
and apart from Romanino's angels, Victor
they all apeared female.
(even Durer's "angel of the apocolypse" on the aust aerogramme)

We shall have to adopt Raphael's muse
http://cjoint.com/data/joqLwMIKcY.htm

Maybe we can agree on this:

"Yes, angels are men and women in the fullest sense who live together as
married couples, each individual being united with the partner God has
prepared for them. Often this is with the one with whom he or she spent
their time on earth. Angels look handsome or beautiful, having grown ever
more youthful in appearance from the time they arrive in the after-life; the
men strong but tender, the women beautiful and kind, and each radiating love
to all."

http://www.spiritualwisdom.org.uk/angel-gender.htm

As for the "Raphael's muse" above, these angels are already fallen ;-)

Old September 14th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Peter Hansen" wrote in message
Victor Manta schrieb:

BTW, in German, French, Romanian, Russian an angel is a mail, excuse the
foreign stamp collector..., a male.

No, definitely not. An angel is neither male nor female, it is a mix of
both. If you look at an angel, you can see whatever you want to see.

Peter

The sex of angels is a subject as old as the Christianity itself, and I'm
not a scholar in it, especially since I need glasses... :-)

I have just noticed that gramatically, in the mentioned languages, the
angels have the male gender. In English, well, the gender is not obvious.

Old September 14th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David French

BTW, in German, French, Romanian, Russian an angel is a mail, excuse the
foreign stamp collector..., a male.

No, definitely not. An angel is neither male nor female, it is a mix of
both. If you look at an angel, you can see whatever you want to see.

Peter

The sex of angels is a subject as old as the Christianity itself, and I'm not
a scholar in it, especially since I need glasses... :-)

I have just noticed that gramatically, in the mentioned languages, the angels
have the male gender. In English, well, the gender is not obvious.

--

Hmmm.... As I recall, Satan was an angel before 'HIS' fall from grace,
so does that make 'HIM' male / female / both / neither??

David, confused!