Is a bar a waste of space in a gameroom?!?!

Old November 4th 04, 01:53 AM
Erik J

I had the same thought when finishing my basement. So, I just built a "wet
bar" along one of the walls. I've got tons of cabinet space, a wine rack,
hanging glass rack over the sink and a smaller fridge that fits under the
cabs. It's perfect. Most people just gather at the bar area to pour
drinks, etc... I thought that a full bar would be a waste of space and that
someone (me) would always be behind it making cocktails....
JMHO

Erik

"Keith Stelter" wrote in message
Ok,
For the last 15 years I've had a finished basement PACKED with Pinball
machines, videogames, jukeboxes, skee ball machines, etc.. They are
literally almost touching, and there isn't one square inch of space for
anything else.
We've reached a point where our kids are getting older we don't play the
stuff as much as we used to. We've also realized that having 10 or 12
jukeboxes in a row doesn't really work because kids play them all at the
same time!
Anyway, I'm looking at moving some of my machines out and using that space
for some more practical stuff like a game table for poker, a pit group and
TV, and possibly a bar. My question is do you people who have bars in

their
rec rooms actually use them (people sit at them), or are they just a waste
of space that no one uses?
On one hand the idea of having friends sitting at the bar drinking and
bull****ting sounds great. But then again I can see people just walking up
to the bar to get a drink, and then going back to other activities. I

don't
foresee having a true bartender on hand other than myself as needed during

party. Right now I have an old, chest type Coca Cola machine that I fill
with beer and pop during parties, and it's completely self serve.
Opinions?!?!?!?!

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000

Newsgroups

Old November 4th 04, 01:56 AM
Shatter Proof

I think Brent's Bar rocks! :-)

I wish we had a bar at our house.. we all congregate in the small kitchen
area and do shots, use the blender, and most of all, what my wife complains
about, make her kitchen floor all sticky!

"BrentRadio" wrote in message
My bar http://www.brentradio.com/JackDaniel.../BarMiddle.jpg gets used
alot, but as others have said, hardly anyone "sits" at the bar. Most of

the
time they are standing at it. I have a beer tap installed so that helps

the
bar have a purpose. But mostly it gets used as a table to hold drinks (No
drinks on the games please!) and for someone to roll the occasional
cigarette ;-). And behind it is my Jack Daniels collection and there is

lots
of room for storage. It also holds my 1950's phone and my popcorn machine
too. Whenever I have big parties there are always 2 or 3 people who want

be "bartender" and stand behind it and make drinks, so that works out

well.
So overall my bar is used quite alot, but I guess it depends on how many
people you have come over.

Brent

P.S. Here's another great reason for a bar :-)

http://www.brentradio.com/CorrysBirthday/Shots1.jpg

Old November 4th 04, 05:39 AM
Kyle Wren

In article , Keith Stelter says...

Anyway, I'm looking at moving some of my machines out and using that space
for some more practical stuff like a game table for poker, a pit group and
TV, and possibly a bar. My question is do you people who have bars in their
rec rooms actually use them (people sit at them), or are they just a waste
of space that no one uses?

We have a pit group with a TV, and a wet bar. And the funny part, we don't even
drink!

The pit group gets a lot of use by folks that would rather watch the game than
play the pins, or that are taking a break from playing. The bar, at least for
us, tends to be where we spread the food out, so it's certainly popular, but I
can't say folks hang out there all night or anything. Probably because we aren't
serving drinks (see above).

I would recommend both, as long as they don't cut into game space too horribly.
My gameroom used to be completely pins, and I'm finding as I diversify it a tad
it's going over big with a lot of folks. Pins will always be the lion's share of
stuff down there though.

I'm with you on the row of jukeboxes, I can't see how that would work out well.

--
Kyle Wren
"Worst... Ball... EVER!!"
Old November 4th 04, 06:20 AM
Fred Kemper

Yes, if you don't drink I suppose.

I don't have one.

--
Fred
TX

Old November 4th 04, 07:27 AM
JJJ

I love my bar! Check it out:
http://www.geocities.com/stym138/gameroombar.html

I only have 3 pins so far. I can fit 2 more with the set up I have right
now. If I NEED to have more pins (after the 2 more I can fit now-that the
wife wants none of!), I'll have to get rid of the air hockey and pool table.
Everyone always hangs out at the bar. They watch tv, bull****, whatever.
It's a hit.
If I had a bunch of pins, I would not get rid of them to build a bar. Having
the bar now, I would never get rid of it for pins.
If you can make room for a bar without getting rid of anything you NEED, go
for it.
-Julius

Old November 4th 04, 07:35 AM
Ken G.

If you got rid of half those machines you would have room . Where i work
( retail store ) we have small portable bars on wheels , some of them
fold up and become only about 20 inches square with the middle having
places for stuff . They are made of wood and look very nice and you can
park it anywhere you like in the room .

Your lucky .. i have no game room at all

Old November 4th 04, 07:57 AM
Bob E.

Keith Stelter wrote:

Ok,
For the last 15 years I've had a finished basement PACKED with Pinball
machines, videogames, jukeboxes, skee ball machines, etc.. They are
literally almost touching, and there isn't one square inch of space for
anything else.
We've reached a point where our kids are getting older we don't play the
stuff as much as we used to. We've also realized that having 10 or 12
jukeboxes in a row doesn't really work because kids play them all at the
same time!
Anyway, I'm looking at moving some of my machines out and using that space
for some more practical stuff like a game table for poker, a pit group and
TV, and possibly a bar. My question is do you people who have bars in their
rec rooms actually use them (people sit at them), or are they just a waste
of space that no one uses?

My bar was already built-in here when I moved in (no sink, though).
It holds an aquarium and the computer I am typing these words on!

You should look for one of those folding bars that Rockola made in
the 50's, just get it out when you need it...cool retro look too!

--Bob

Bob Ellingson
Halted Specialties Co., Inc.
http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)
Old November 4th 04, 03:13 PM
Happy 70's Seeburg Owner

if you use one of the not so good looking fold ups you can always repaint
them
and look for repo video machine graphics to stick to it to make it look like
an giant arcade machine

jim w

[...]
during a party. Right now I have an old, chest type Coca Cola machine that

Old November 4th 04, 04:34 PM
Mike Doyle

Unless you can make it multi task for you it's probably wasted space.
More importantly it probably depends on how much you entertain and
what kind of friends you have over. I've seen home bars that look
like they've never been used and I've been to parties where the bar
was the center of attention, it all depends on the crowd and what else
is competing for the guests attention.

I've got an old soda fountain that will double as a bar and add a
little more flexibility in what we offer our guest. Maybe tracking
one down would dovetail with your plans better than a bar? Chicago is
coming up, there are usually a couple there.

Mike Doyle

[...]
foresee having a true bartender on hand other than myself as needed during a

Old November 4th 04, 05:09 PM
ecoraider

"Keith Stelter" wrote in message news:41890fd3 TV, and possibly a bar. My question is do you people who have bars in their
rec rooms actually use them (people sit at them), or are they just a waste
of space that no one uses?

The bar is good for resale value, you have to remember that (hard to
believe) there are people in the world who aren't into pins and may
use the room for some other purpose. I think for this reason alone, a
wetbar is a good thing to have. The guy who built my house was a
church goer and refused to call it a wet bar. All the plans said "soda
bar" :-)

My "gameroom" bar, has a bunch of drawers and cabinet space, which I
find useful for holding pinball parts. It has counter space which is
useful for putting tools on as I bring project machines back to life.

My problem with my "gameroom" is that is was designed before I became
interested in fixing pinball tables. It was primarily intended to be a
theatre and critical listening room. I have claimed maybe 1/3 the
space for pinball machines, but I have no blank wall space to put the
pins as there are doors and windows all over the place. If I were to
take out the bar, that would provide me with blank wall space which
would be nice. Pinball machines set back to back in the center of a
room works, but it takes up a lot of space.

If you were to walk into that room today, you would see 4 pins set up
in the center of the 1/3 of the room I get to use, one nearly complete
project Dungeons and Dragons sitting where the bar stools would go,
one project Transporter relegated to the unfinished basement with
parts all over the place, and a Comet patiently waiting it's turn to
go under the knife next to it. You would conclude that I have a
problem. You would conclude that it was time for one of my kids to
move out so I could take the bedroom and put that stupid tv and sofa
and whatnot in there to make more room for pins.

Or if someone wants to buy that D&D when I am finished, that would
help.

Jeff