Is a bar a waste of space in a gameroom?!?!

Old November 3rd 04, 06:01 PM
Keith Stelter

Default Is a bar a waste of space in a gameroom?!?!

Ok,
For the last 15 years I've had a finished basement PACKED with Pinball
machines, videogames, jukeboxes, skee ball machines, etc.. They are
literally almost touching, and there isn't one square inch of space for
anything else.
We've reached a point where our kids are getting older we don't play the
stuff as much as we used to. We've also realized that having 10 or 12
jukeboxes in a row doesn't really work because kids play them all at the
same time!
Anyway, I'm looking at moving some of my machines out and using that space
for some more practical stuff like a game table for poker, a pit group and
TV, and possibly a bar. My question is do you people who have bars in their
rec rooms actually use them (people sit at them), or are they just a waste
of space that no one uses?
On one hand the idea of having friends sitting at the bar drinking and
bull****ting sounds great. But then again I can see people just walking up
to the bar to get a drink, and then going back to other activities. I don't
foresee having a true bartender on hand other than myself as needed during a
party. Right now I have an old, chest type Coca Cola machine that I fill
with beer and pop during parties, and it's completely self serve.
Opinions?!?!?!?!

Old November 3rd 04, 06:39 PM
guinness

I have both a bar and a poker table in my gameroom and so I have some
thoughts. The bar is small and gets used infrequently as far as people
sitting at them, but the bar does gets used for putting down food, blenders,
drinks, etc.

So, when I think of having a bar, I don't vision people sitting at it all
the time, but rather its a great place to drop\pickup drinks, have snacks,
with the occassional barfly sitting there. Because the bar has shelving
inside in the back, I can quietly store liquor, paper plates, etc. So its
more than a bar, its also an endtable and cubbard..

tim (NH)

"Keith Stelter" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old November 3rd 04, 06:40 PM
DWGoett

my dad build a small bar in his basement 20 years ago and has NEVER had a
chair or anyone sit at it.
the tiny sink has green corrosion all around the spout from lack of use.
unless you drink regularly and hang out there a lot it would probably be a
waste of space.....
why do you need more than 1 CD and 1 45 juke? maybe i'm missing
something.....
Dan

Old November 3rd 04, 07:12 PM
Keith Stelter

I don't really "need" a bunch of jukeboxes any more that I really "need" 24
pinball machines in the gameroom.
Like every other thing in my life I tend to go WAY overboard with my coin op
collecting!
I have a CD bubbler juke in my den upstairs, and will probably narrow it
down to one juke (most likely my Continental) in the rec room.

Old November 3rd 04, 07:21 PM
Paul Davis

I have a friend that has a bar station built into cabinets with a sink and
fridge w/ icemaker (no actual sitting bar)
He puts the poker table out front of it and its the hottest seat in the
place (close to the trough)
PD

Old November 3rd 04, 07:50 PM
Ray Johnson - Action Pinball

I don't think most bars get much use. I think the only way you will get a
lot of "sitting time" at a bar is if you have a countertop video on it or a
TV over/behind it. Other than that, don't waste the space with one. Or go
with a small one- we got a non-permanent martini bar- cool contemporary
curved design- accomodates 2 or 3 barstools- fits well in the odd corner and
doesn't take up much space but looks great and does the job. And leaves
lots of room for "the important stuff".

Hope that helps!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Old November 3rd 04, 08:52 PM
BrentRadio

My bar http://www.brentradio.com/JackDaniel.../BarMiddle.jpg gets used
alot, but as others have said, hardly anyone "sits" at the bar. Most of the
time they are standing at it. I have a beer tap installed so that helps the
bar have a purpose. But mostly it gets used as a table to hold drinks (No
drinks on the games please!) and for someone to roll the occasional
cigarette ;-). And behind it is my Jack Daniels collection and there is lots
of room for storage. It also holds my 1950's phone and my popcorn machine
too. Whenever I have big parties there are always 2 or 3 people who want to
be "bartender" and stand behind it and make drinks, so that works out well.
So overall my bar is used quite alot, but I guess it depends on how many
people you have come over.

Brent

P.S. Here's another great reason for a bar :-)

http://www.brentradio.com/CorrysBirthday/Shots1.jpg

Old November 3rd 04, 08:57 PM

Keith Stelter wrote:

On one hand the idea of having friends sitting at the bar drinking

and
bull****ting sounds great. But then again I can see people just

walking up
to the bar to get a drink, and then going back to other activities.

I don't
foresee having a true bartender on hand other than myself as needed

during a
party. Right now I have an old, chest type Coca Cola machine that I

fill
with beer and pop during parties, and it's completely self serve.
Opinions?!?!?!?!

We decided to go the middle route - in a corner we built a "wet bar" -
just a counter with a small sink and cabinets underneath. Having it
there means space for one less pin. We figured that if people wanted
to sit and talk that they could just use chairs around the gamerooms or
the couch. We also decided not to have a fridge downstairs, but if we
had I think we'd have done something like Rick Schieve has in his
basement.

Orin

Old November 4th 04, 12:50 AM
Craig Tiano

I have an 10' long bar, which sticks out from one side wall, with
walk-behind space and shelves behind it. In front are three stools
salvaged from a pharmacy soda fountain and re-covered in red leather.
I have a chest freezer converted into a refrigerator, sporting 4 beer
taps, at the end of the bar itself (the taps are arranged so that you
don't have to be behind the bar to pour a drink). When the space
behind the bar isn't occupied by a designated bartender, I find my
guests LIKE to go behind the bar, pull glassware and pour drinks for
the other guests. There is never an open spot on the stools, either,
despite significantly more comfortable accomodations not more than 6
feet away. If I didn't have a space ideally suited to be this sized
bar, I would have made the bar significantly smaller and eliminated
the stools. And that, knowing what I know now, would have been a
mistake.

Craig

Old November 4th 04, 01:37 AM
Mark Hooks

If those games are getting in the way of your bar and poker table I won't
charge you too much to haul them off ;-)

Mark Hooks