THE EBAY CARNAGE CONTINUES - ANOTHER ALTERED 1893-S MORGAN

Old January 28th 05, 09:46 PM
Arizona Coin Collector

Default THE EBAY CARNAGE CONTINUES - ANOTHER ALTERED 1893-S MORGAN

Another altered coin allegedly produced by that lady from Boyce,
Louisiana. SEE FOLLOWING:

Reported to eBay 1/28/05:

Please be advised that this is definitely an illegally altered coin
with the following provable history:

It was purchased as an 1898-S Morgan Silver Dollar by eBay buyer
"see32" from Boyce, Louisiana, on 12/27/04 in eBay auction #3949526476,
from seller murphycoinco, for $21.50.

SEE THE FOLLOWING:

The coin was then altered to appear to be an 1893-S Morgan Silver
Dollar, allegedly by "see32", having a potential market value in excess
of $3000.00, and sold on YAHOO, auction #88951664 on 1/20/05 as a
silver dollar that "has been (altered) to look like a 1893-S Morgan
dollar" to Yahoo buyer "rmichaels123" for $125.00.

SEE FOLLOWING:

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....aucview=closed

The Yahoo seller, "camo1950" just happens (coincidentally?) to be from
BOYCE, LOUISIANA, and has sold approximately 46 of these illegally
altered coins on Yahoo since late October of 2004, at time more or less
coincidental with the time that eBay seller "see32" was allegedly
temporarily barred from eBay for selling, GUESS WHAT, ILLEGALLY ALTERED
1893-S MORGAN SILVER DOLLARS.

As an aside, eBay buyer "see32" has also, allegedly (and easily
provable)purchased no less than 51 1898-S Morgan Silver Dollars on eBay
since September of 2004; and, also allegedly, has sold at least 15
"altered" 1893-S Morgan Silver Dollars on eBay, while Yahoo seller
"camo1950" has sold at least 46 of the same illegally altered coins on
Yahoo, many of which can be photographically matched directly to eBay
auctions of 1898-S dollars purchased by "see32" who is, ALLEGEDLY, one
and the same as camo1950.

Now we have eBay seller "rdemilia" so innocently stating.. "In looking
at the coin, it appears to be legitimate but I don't have the proper
diagnostics nor expertise to tell for certain. As such, I cannot
guarantee it's authenticity."

A simple search of rdemilia's history as a seller on eBay will show
that this seller has been selling coins on eBay since May of 2001, has
a feedback rating of 214, and most probably the expertise to recognize
the very straight-forward, and simple "diagnostics" of the 1893-S
Morgan Silver Dollar. However, giving the benefit of the doubt,
rdemilia is still in violation of eBay policy regarding the potential
listing of a non-authentic coin.

This Seller is doing extreme damage to the Hobby and Profession of
Numismatics, in addition to the potentially committing of a federal
crime, and must be stopped. Not only is the alteration of that coin a
direct violation of Title 18, Section 331 of the United States Code,
which is punishable by a fine or imprisonment for up to 5 years, or
both, but selling it in violation of THE HOBBY PROTECTION ACT OF
NOVEMBER 29, 1973 is probably also a Federal crime.
I RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THAT YOU STOP THIS SELLER FROM SELLING ILLEGALLY
ALTERED COINS SUCH AS IS OFFERED IN THE SUBJECT AUCTION IN DIRECT AND
BLATANT VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW AND EBAY POLICIES.

Old January 29th 05, 03:12 AM
John Baumgart

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
oups.com...
Another altered coin allegedly produced by that lady from Boyce,
Louisiana. SEE FOLLOWING:

Reported to eBay 1/28/05:

Please be advised that this is definitely an illegally altered coin
with the following provable history:

Nice e-paper trail. I see the seller is now playing innocent, stating that
the coin might be altered. Has eBay responded with their "Thank you for
playing, but we're just a venue" line yet?

John Baumgart

Old January 29th 05, 03:49 AM
James Higby

"John Baumgart" wrote in message

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
oups.com...
Another altered coin allegedly produced by that lady from Boyce,
Louisiana. SEE FOLLOWING:

Reported to eBay 1/28/05:

Please be advised that this is definitely an illegally altered coin
with the following provable history:

Nice e-paper trail. I see the seller is now playing innocent, stating
that
the coin might be altered. Has eBay responded with their "Thank you for
playing, but we're just a venue" line yet?

John Baumgart

Isn't this interesting:

http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylc=...X1Elx2.kij4w--
James
'but no local dealers in the area'

Old January 29th 05, 05:33 AM
Arizona Coin Collector

That's great! Thanks.

Old January 29th 05, 07:44 PM
Arizona Coin Collector

I guess enough pressure wasput on the seller, he ended the autctio.
Just watch, thyat coin will be back.

Old January 29th 05, 07:52 PM
Arizona Coin Collector

You bet John, unfortunately, unless enough people put pressure on the
authorities, nothing will happen. I posted a message here yesterday
with the name and email address of the Secret Service guy in Baton
Rouge that I've been talking to, but it disappeared. I'll send it to
anyone that wants to email me and ask for it.
Jerry

Old January 29th 05, 11:04 PM
Arizona Coin Collector

Click on "ABOUT ME" in one of the closed "altered" 1893-S Yahoo
auctions and this is what you'll see:

"Yahoo ID: camo1950

My address is Preston Graves, 6848 Hwy. 1 North, Boyce, La. 71409.
Thanks Camo1950. "