R-85 losing 'home', playing wrong selection

Old March 22nd 10, 09:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Old School Al

Default R-85 losing 'home', playing wrong selection

Well, the trouble has returned. Here is what I am seeing now.

Turn the unit on and play a song, wroong selection plays. After a
couple wrong selections play it then starts playing the correct
selection. Sorta like it warmed up, I guess. Does this indicate a
certain part I should be focusing on?

On Jan 28, 11:17*am, Old School Al wrote:
I have this juke and recently it started to play the wrong selection.
I cleaned the optical switch and tried to adjust it per the manual. It
plays fine right after that for the remainder of the night and plays
the correct selection. Then once turned off and back on at a later
time it goes back to playing the wrong selections again and I adjust
it again and it's fine for the evening.

Any thoughts on what part might need to be replaced or what other
adjustment I could be missing?

Al

Old March 23rd 10, 07:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Old School Al

Default R-85 losing 'home', playing wrong selection (part II)

Guess I should have changed the subject to reflect that this remains
unresolved. Done.

On Mar 22, 4:28*pm, Old School Al wrote:
Well, the trouble has returned. Here is what I am seeing now.

Turn the unit on and play a song, wroong selection plays. After a
couple wrong selections play it then starts playing the correct
selection. Sorta like it warmed up, I guess. Does this indicate a
certain part I should be focusing on?

On Jan 28, 11:17*am, Old School Al wrote:

I have this juke and recently it started to play the wrong selection.
I cleaned the optical switch and tried to adjust it per the manual. It
plays fine right after that for the remainder of the night and plays
the correct selection. Then once turned off and back on at a later
time it goes back to playing the wrong selections again and I adjust
it again and it's fine for the evening.

Any thoughts on what part might need to be replaced or what other
adjustment I could be missing?

Al- Hide quoted text -

Old March 24th 10, 01:33 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony[_4_]

Old School Al wrote:
[...]

I forget if that box has an led that flashes as it scans? If so, does
it flash when not working and scanning with the scan switch? Besides
that, the optic couplers often go bad so if it's intermittent, that
would be the first thing to change, assuming you checked the cables and
connections.

Tony
Old March 24th 10, 06:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Old School Al

LED does flash while the carousel is turning to select the next
record.

I have a new optical switch on order and will see what this does for
me.

On Mar 23, 8:33*pm, Tony wrote:
Old School Al wrote:
[...]

Tony- Hide quoted text -

Old March 25th 10, 08:14 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony[_4_]

Old School Al wrote:
LED does flash while the carousel is turning to select the next
record.

I have a new optical switch on order and will see what this does for
me.

If you remove the opto board check the solder connections for cracks,
mainly where the pins for the cable attaches. And now that I think of
it, Rowe CCC boards (and all their circuit boards) are notorious for
cracked solder connections on all the plug pins.

Tony
Old March 26th 10, 01:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Old School Al

Yea, I had reflowed solder on all boards previously (see earlier posts
in thread).

I have the new optical switch in there and things seems to be better
now.

Old March 27th 10, 04:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony[_4_]

Old School Al wrote:
Yea, I had reflowed solder on all boards previously (see earlier posts
in thread).

I have the new optical switch in there and things seems to be better
now.

Good to hear. Hope you got it.
Old March 29th 10, 02:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Mar 26, 6:14*am, Tony wrote:
Old School Al wrote:
LED does flash while the carousel is turning to select the next
record.

I have a new optical switch on order and will see what this does for
me.

If you remove the opto board check the solder connections for cracks,
mainly where the pins for the cable attaches. *And now that I think of
it, Rowe CCC boards (and all their circuit boards) are notorious for
cracked solder connections on all the plug pins.

Tony

All their boards are good for this. Re soldering is a must.
Replacing the pins in the 2.54mm plug housings they use is also
advisable.

Even though it is too late now you have bought the opto, for the info
of others on here,
the actual opto switch itself is available from Farnell for about
$12. (we bought in 50+ quantities at the time).

The part from our ROWE distributor including the bracket and harness
was over $100.

Old March 29th 10, 09:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Old School Al

I didn't pay $100 but a lot more than $12.

I checked that Farnell site and finding that part without a part
number would be difficult.

Old March 30th 10, 07:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Mar 30, 6:59*am, Old School Al wrote:
I didn't pay $100 but a lot more than $12.

I checked that Farnell site and finding that part without a part
number would be difficult.

I can have a look for the number, should still have the bag with some
unused ones in there.

We don't use them now, pretty much all of our ROWE were converted
to digital . All the internals were junked except for the Amp, power
supply,
Central control computer, coin gear which were re-used in the digital
conversion.