R-85 losing 'home', playing wrong selection

Old January 28th 10, 04:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Old School Al

Default R-85 losing 'home', playing wrong selection

I have this juke and recently it started to play the wrong selection.
I cleaned the optical switch and tried to adjust it per the manual. It
plays fine right after that for the remainder of the night and plays
the correct selection. Then once turned off and back on at a later
time it goes back to playing the wrong selections again and I adjust
it again and it's fine for the evening.

Any thoughts on what part might need to be replaced or what other
adjustment I could be missing?

Al
Old January 29th 10, 01:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Jan 29, 2:17*am, Old School Al wrote:
I have this juke and recently it started to play the wrong selection.
I cleaned the optical switch and tried to adjust it per the manual. It
plays fine right after that for the remainder of the night and plays
the correct selection. Then once turned off and back on at a later
time it goes back to playing the wrong selections again and I adjust
it again and it's fine for the evening.

Any thoughts on what part might need to be replaced or what other
adjustment I could be missing?

Al

These do fail, become intermittent, and the only cure is replacement.

However, you could have something strange like fluctuating LED supply
voltage, bad earth on the receiver end etc.

My money would be on the optical device itself, or some temperature
sensitive component on the mech control board associated with reading
these signals (it might stabilise in the time you take to do the
adjustment as it "warms up" and might make you think that the
adjustment is what is fixing it). to prove this theory, leave the
machine on for 30 mins or so, and see if it comes good by itself.

if so, replace the IC (339?) that the opto receivers connect to
Old January 29th 10, 10:49 AM
Alan Hood Alan Hood is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sheffield UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Al View Post
I have this juke and recently it started to play the wrong selection.
I cleaned the optical switch and tried to adjust it per the manual. It
plays fine right after that for the remainder of the night and plays
the correct selection. Then once turned off and back on at a later
time it goes back to playing the wrong selections again and I adjust
it again and it's fine for the evening.

Any thoughts on what part might need to be replaced or what other
adjustment I could be missing?

Al
Hi Al,

The R-85 jukebox was subject to dry joints (cold joints USA) on all of the connection pins of the boards.
I would check these out from the power supply pcb onto the rest of the boards.
You may find out that if you check the battery on the CCC that it will be low (with the power off) it should be 2.4 volts DC.

Regards
Alan Hood (ami-man)
UK
Old January 29th 10, 03:32 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Old School Al

Thanks guys! I will check these items out and let you know the
outcome.

I had reflowed the solder on the mech control board pins, but no joy.
I will do likewise on the other board and check the battery. Then move
on to to the other items you mentioned if no success there.

BTW, who do you suggest buying parts from for jukes of this vintage?

Al

Old February 8th 10, 05:32 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Old School Al

Thanks for the tips, guys. Finally got around to checking it out and
it turned out to be the battery on the CCC. It_appeared_to be conneted
but upon closer inspection the negative lead was simply resting on the
battery so I soldered it on. Also reflowed board connectors while I
had it off. Also, checked the battery voltage and it was 2.5v. All
appears to be well now, thanks again.

--
Alan Hood

Old February 8th 10, 10:38 AM

wrote:
Old School Al;642320 Wrote:

[...]

Glad to hear that you have sorted out your jukebox.
I suggest that while you are in a fixing mode that you check out the the Pricing Board (all lines of data go through this board) and the Power supply for dry joints as well.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Old February 8th 10, 12:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Feb 8, 3:32*pm, Old School Al wrote:
Thanks for the tips, guys. Finally got around to checking it out and
it turned out to be the battery on the CCC. It_appeared_to be conneted
but upon closer inspection the negative lead was simply resting on the
battery so I soldered it on. Also reflowed board connectors while I
had it off. Also, checked the battery voltage and it was 2.5v. All
appears to be well now, thanks again.

If it is one of those black rectangular NI cad things, get rid of it
quick, or mount it on leads well away from the board
if you dont it will leak, corrode the tracks and you dont need that.

IF you MUST have it on the board, get a lithium 1/2 AA cell and mount
it on the board, making certain you use an 1n400x diode in series with
the battery. (this MUST be done, to reduce the 3v supply to 2.4 and
also to prevent the lithium from being recharged.
Lithium's dont seem to leak that I have seen

PCB + terminal ----------II----------+ lithium battery -
--------------- pcb - terminal
striped end / unstriped end

While I could be wrong, I would be concerned with a diagnosis of a
dead or missing battery as cause of this problem.

In my experience the juke will work fine without a battery (you will
just lose popularity stats and saved selection data at turn off, but
if its a t home you probably don't need this.).

The juke has low battery detection, and if activated, this should
cause the program to wipe the memory (in the 5101s) at turn-on.

Old February 8th 10, 06:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Old School Al

The battery I have on there appears to be a 1/2 lithium (small white
cylinder type) but there is no diode inline with it. Which end does
the diode go on and what end of the diode? I could not totally
understand the ASCII drawing.

I will also reflow the pricing board. Since I don't use that (keep the
unit on test for free play) I ignored it but if you think that may
come into play I will.

Al
Old February 9th 10, 12:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Feb 9, 4:02*am, Old School Al wrote:
The battery I have on there appears to be a 1/2 lithium (small white
cylinder type) but there is no diode inline with it. Which end does
the diode go on and what end of the diode? I could not totally
understand the ASCII drawing.

I will also reflow the pricing board. Since I don't use that (keep the
unit on test for free play) I ignored it but if you think that may
come into play I will.

The pricing board is part of the switch matrix, while its unlikely to
cause problems, if values are changing due to dry joints, it could
cause problems elsewhere.

Al

The diode goes in series with the battery.

disconnect the + terminal of the battery from the board, put the
striped end of the diode onto the + terminal of the board and the
unstriped terminal of the diode onto the + terminal of the battery.
The negative terminal of the battery is left connected to the board.
Note that this is done with 3v lithium batteries that we use here.
(will also reduce the 3v to 2.4).

In your case, if the battery is a lithium already and has 2.4v across
it, then it is probably ok to leave it as it is, but if it isn't a
rechargeable lithium (most aren't) the battery charging circuit should
be disabled.

For both type of ROWE AMI of CCC boards used in this model transistor
Q114 must be removed to achieve this. This is important as normal
lithium batteries are NOT meant to be recharged. While I havent tried
it, they may rupture or explode if charged.
Old February 9th 10, 10:06 AM
Alan Hood Alan Hood is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sheffield UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed View Post
[...]

Just get a Varta 2.4 volt rechagable cell and replace the old one you had in circuit.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK