New eBay photo policy?

Old August 10th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Default New eBay photo policy?

I just got a note from a friend pointing out an apparently new
unannounced auto-opt-in that eBay has instituted (or perhaps I missed
the notice...(right)).

What it appears to be is that eBay can use any of your pictures as follows:

"Share your Photos Show Consider photos I upload in the listing
process for inclusion in the eBay product catalog and other product
offerings."

His concern was that other eBay users could use his pictures to sell
their products, and even if not, the loss of control for your pictures
as I see it. There is a copyright notice that does state you contributed
the image though.

This setting (which you can change to "NO!") is located in your "My
Ebay" - "Account" - "Site Preferences" - "Share your Photos".

I turned it off...

You may want to read the following as well (this is from the opt-out page):

"(If you opt-out before August 31, 2009, none of your photos will be
considered for inclusion in this program unless you opt back in at a
later time. If you opt-out after August 31, 2009, any photos we select
for inclusion in this program prior to your opt-out may continue to be
used in the catalog)"

Yet another reason I am unlikely to use eBay to sell my products.

John :-#(#
www.flippers.com
Old August 10th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Steve Kulpa

On Aug 10, 2:42*pm, John Robertson wrote:
[...]

watermark your photos w/ your e-mail address, or logo, or something
like that.

steve
---
Steve Kulpa (cargpb10)
Nolensville, TN
http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/pinball.htm - Pinball
http://stevekulpa.net/faces/rgpidx.htm - Faces
Old August 10th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Glenn[_3_]

--
* * (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the newsgroup)
* John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9

thanks much....I disabled it. Hopefully its the right thing to do
with this outfit.....
Old August 10th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Mark Clayton[_2_]

Just use your own image hosting. They have a new java-based
pop-up window for showing pictures, which is of course less
convenient, and makes it harder (but not impossible) to save
pictures locally. They have no right to use pictures that you
are not uploading to their system.

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

Old August 10th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob[_13_]

[...]

I just tried to op out and the system will not let me. Said not
available at this time.
I'll re-try it again later.

Rob H
Old August 10th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Steve Kulpa wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've done that watermarking bit for years...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old August 10th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
miracleman

On Aug 10, 5:26*pm, Rob wrote:
I just tried to op out and the system will not let me. Said not
available at this time.
I'll re-try it again later.

got the same BS
OBviously everyone is opting out and they're trying to prevent us from
doing so as much as possible.
Old August 10th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tim Hensel

[...]

Thanks for the heads up John.

Typical eBay bull.

-Tim H.
Old August 10th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
KR

On Aug 11, 5:42*am, John Robertson wrote:
[...]

Must be a US thing, this option isnt even shown on Australian Ebay.

In fact, most of the other settings there are locked to "yes" and cant
be changed
Old August 11th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
30dBm

The kicker is I bet ebay will charge a fee to use a picture that you
took!