What about Cross Fountain Pens

Old August 4th 06, 08:19 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
marcwomm

Default What about Cross Fountain Pens

Good Morning,
I am a fan of writing with Fountain Pens and I currently own three of
them. Two Cross Pens and one Waterman.
When reading through related groups and searching websites I hardly
find any comments on Cross Pens ... Have you noticed as well?

I got my first Cross ATX in matt chrome a few years ago as present
together with a Rollerball Pen and I used the Fountain Pen every day.
However after 3.5 half years the matt chrome finish was worn off and I
contacted different to see if it can be fixed. Everybody told me that
this "symptom" was unknown and they would not know what to do.
After weeks of trying I bought a new Cross Townsend. Not particular
cheap but I love it and carry it with me all the time. For holidays
though I take my Waterman as he is refilled with cartridges which is
easier to handle when travelling.

Does anyone have any experience with Cross you want to share?

Thanks
Marcus

Old August 4th 06, 11:01 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
icoteraz

This is the forum for you:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...p?showforum=37

KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.

Regards

oups.com...

Old August 4th 06, 01:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Michael

[...]

Cross pens are excellent, and their service is second to none. When I
had problems with pens, Cross fixed it right away or replaced it. I would
say send your worn pen to Cross to see what they do.

My first pen (graduation) was a Cross black laquer pen with brass
appointments. I really like the pen. I bought two more Cross pens --
a chrome and a sterling silver pen. I like them both, but I don't
use the sterling silver pen any more. It put two slight indentations in the
barrel. I think the metal is way too soft.

My everyday pen is a Waterman Expert II. My flashy pens are Mont
Blancs. But I still use that laquer Cross from time to time.

Old August 4th 06, 05:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

My everyday pen is an "inexpensive" ($45 list/ $30 on sale) Cross -- a
Classic Solo. It's one of the best-performing fountain pens I own.

Brian

Old August 5th 06, 12:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Paul K

Marcus, definitely return your worn pen to Cross. I had the same problem
and they replaced the pen. But I will tell you that after the second time,
I purchased a sterling silver model. The problem, I suspect, is the acids
in my skin were wreaking havoc on the pen's finish. This problem
disappeared with the sterling pen.

Great pens overall and certainly a Company that epitomizes customer service
& standing up to their guarantee.

My best

Paul

Old August 10th 06, 08:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
marcwomm

Good Morning Paul,

Paul K wrote:
Marcus, definitely return your worn pen to Cross. I had the same problem
and they replaced the pen. But I will tell you that after the second time,
I purchased a sterling silver model. The problem, I suspect, is the acids
in my skin were wreaking havoc on the pen's finish. This problem
disappeared with the sterling pen.

Thanks Paul I will contact them today for an address and return the pen
to them. The acid in my skin .... this I was told only last week by a
shop owner here in Dublin and I found this hard to believe, especially
as it did not happen to the Rollerball Pen I have with the same finish.

I hope the can fix the problem.

Great pens overall and certainly a Company that epitomizes customer service
& standing up to their guarantee.

I will find out soon.

regards
Marcus

Old August 12th 06, 06:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Paul K

You're very welcome Marcus. I never noticed until the Cross pen but when I
looked at the any of my other chrome pens, all had 'pitting'. Because the
Cross was my first "expensive" pen, I was concerned.

Best regards,

Paul

"marcwomm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Good Morning Paul,

Old August 12th 06, 10:22 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

"marcwomm" wrote in message
ups.com...

Paul K wrote:
...The problem, I suspect, is the acids
in my skin were wreaking havoc on the pen's finish.

...The acid in my skin .... this I was told only last week by a
shop owner here in Dublin and I found this hard to believe, especially
as it did not happen to the Rollerball Pen I have with the same finish.

I think chrome, as a plating material in general, is prone to flaking and
other corrosion problems when the substrate isn't properly prepared, and
that this is corner-cutting on the part of manufacturers who rely on
chrome's inherent resistance to corrosion and neglect the electrolytic
interaction with the base metal. This is my cumulative subjective
impression, though -- I'm not a metallurgist.

I did once watch the restoration of an antique auto on television, and in a
segment at the plating shop, they explained that in order to prevent the new
chrome from flaking off the reflectors of the headlamps, they had to:

- Polish (to a mirror finish) and stringently preclean the steel shell
- Apply, polish and clean a couple layers of copper over the steel
- Apply, polish and clean a couple layers of nickel over the copper
- And then do the chrome layers.

It's all about compatibility. For what it's worth, the chrome on my old
Parker 45 is still fine.

Brian

Old August 29th 06, 01:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
marcwomm

I have found a shop near me now who sells Cross. They have been in
contact with Cross Ireland and then rang me to confirm that CROSS has a
lifelong warranty. They have send in my fountain pen now and hopefully
it can be fixed.

I keep you updated.
Marcus

Old September 26th 06, 08:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

Good Morning,
last week I got my Cross ATX back from Cross, they have either
repaired it or replaced the barrel and the cup. Don't mind what
they did as my ATX is as good as new again.
And they did it for free.

I can only recommend their Customer Service.

Happy Writing.

best regards
Marcus